Caasi Gohd

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:58 PM

Posted Image

So I had a Pachuca thread before that got some but not much play, there was also a Club America thread with slightly more and the sporading 'Super Clasico' thread that came up every once in a while.

For the benefit of Jamesey's Mexican league knowledge and Zero's lessons in Mexican, I've decided to open this thread.

I'll treat this thread as a bit of a Q+A where I'll explain any questions you have about players, the league format, the playoff set-up, the weird-ass relegation system, and the overall state of the league.

=WEEK ONE=

Saturday
Estudiantes vs. Pachuca
Cruz Azul vs. Chiapas
Indios vs. Monterrey
UANL vs. Puebla
Atlas vs. UNAM

Sunday
Toluca vs. Chivas
Morelia vs. Santos

Wednesday
San Luis vs. Club America

Postponed
Queretaro vs. Atlante

Me? I'm watching Estudiantes vs. Pachuca on Galavision in about 2 minutes. :)

#2 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

So good to see Cacho back home and scoring goals. :)

#3 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:43 PM

Since Fish is with Puebla, I'll be keeping an eye on their game with the UANL players.

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#4 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

I will seriously follow it once they broadcast in 'American'.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#5 samoabob

samoabob

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • Supports:LA GALAXY! Liverpool FC

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:20 PM

Hey yeah since this will be Q&A can you do a quick rundown of how the League works? muchos gracias

#6 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:36 PM

Hey yeah since this will be Q&A can you do a quick rundown of how the League works? muchos gracias

After this game I will...

This ref is bad, he's given up 2 bad pks. One each way.

#7 Lsanchez06

Lsanchez06

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, LA Galaxy, and Chelsea FC

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:36 PM

yeah i get a bit confused with the relegation. also, i look forward to following pachuca and torres a little closer this season

#8 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:46 PM

If you're wondering why Torres isn't playing, the answer is either:

A) He joined the team late because he was on a pleasure trip in South Africa right around the time when Bob Bradley & Son were playing in the tournament, or

B) Rivarola has switched up Pachuca's system to a single holding mid format, which means Torres will either feature on the left or have to share minutes with Correa. Unfortunately for Torres, Correa is a legend in this team, and according to many, he really picked up his game during the past pre-season (while Bradley sent Torres to photograph some Zebras).

In either case, I wouldn't worry. Torres is a quality player and he'll likely get plenty of time on the field starting next week.

#9 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

See below for summary...

#10 Lsanchez06

Lsanchez06

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, LA Galaxy, and Chelsea FC

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

yeah i was wondering about torres. what happened to the manager? and who is this new manager?

#11 El Mon

El Mon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, Futbol, Drinking, and Partying.
  • Supports:LA Galaxy,FC Barcelona,Chelsea FC

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:16 PM

I will seriously follow it once they broadcast in 'American'.

For English please push "1"

#12 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Supports:LA/USA

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

I'm going to be in Mexico City on August 16 (4 days after the first USA upset in Azteca)

Which match should I attend? America x Atlas @ Azteca or UNAM x UNAL @ Olimpico Universitario?

...ooooh ooooooooh we are the riot squad...

#13 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

THE MEXICAN LEAGUE

The Mexican league, as in all other aspects, has a weird and often unexplainable competition format. There are 18 teams in the Primera Division (America, Atlante, Atlas, Guadalajara, Cruz Azul, Chiapas, Ciudad Juarez, Monterrey, Morelia, Pachuca, Puebla, Queretaro, Pumas UNAM, San Luis, Santos Laguna, Estudiantes UAG, Tigres UANL, and Toluca).

The FMF plays its football according to the traditional football calendar (fiscal year) but like many Latin American nations, they split the year into two tournaments, the Fall (Apertura) and Spring (Clausura) tournaments.

This season, while the world plays the 2009-2010 season, FMF will play the Apertura 2009 and the Clausura 2010.

The teams are split into 3 groups of 6 based on the cumulative standings of the previous fiscal year (the combined total of points from the last clausura + apertura).

This season the groups are:

Group 1 - Atlas · Guadalajara · Juárez · Querétaro · San Luis · Toluca
Group 2 - América · Chiapas · Monterrey · Morelia · Pachuca · Puebla
Group 3 - Atlante · Cruz Azul · Santos Laguna · Estudiantes · U.A.N.L. · U.N.A.M.

The teams play 17 games, against every other team once in the Clausura (and then play the return legs for all those games in the Apertura).

ie. Clausura Week 1 = Club America vs. Monterrey therefore Apertura Week 1 will = Monterrey vs. Club America

At the end of the 17 week season, the top 2 teams from each group advancing to the playoffs, followed by the two best teams remaining. Many argue that the group system should be done away entirely in place of a single table format, and really there's no satisfactory explanation for why they're still around.

The playoff system then ranks teams based on their final positioning.

Last Season:

1. Pachuca vs. 12. Chiapas
2. Toluca vs. 7. Ciudad Juarez
3. UNAM vs. Tecos UAG
4. Monterrey vs. 5 Puebla

The teams play in home and home series with the higher ranked team enjoyed the advantage of being allowed to advance on an aggregate draw. This advantage disappears in the final. The final game is the only play-off game which may go into extra time and PKs.

Unlike in the NBA, where the brackets are fixed. In FMF, the brackets move according to the rank of the teams remaining in order to always pit the highest ranked team vs. the lowest ranked team.

in the NBA

1 loses to 8
4 beats 5
2 beats 7
3 beats 6

then

8 would play 4
2 would play 3

in FMF the brackets would shift so

2 would play 8
3 would play 4[/i]

After that, it's pretty self explanatory. Fun fact: The 2nd place team is the team that's won the championship the most times, followed by the third place team I think, and only Pachuca + Toluca have been able to crown a Top Spot in the league with a League Championship in the playoffs.

THE RELEGATION SYSTEM

Grab a pen...

In traditional football, worst team = team relegated.

In Mexican football, the premise is essentially the following: The worst team over the past 3 full years (6 season) gets relegated.

The FMF keeps a Point Per Game average for teams during the past three seasons, and ranks the team accordingly.

The system gets complicated when you introduce teams that are newly promoted (1st year) and teams that were promoted and managed to avoid relegation a year past (2nd year) because their Percentages are more volatile. See the current table HERE.
(If it's incomplete, check it out again at the end of the weekend when all teams have played).

Promotion / Relegation takes place at the end of the fiscal year in the summer. 1 team is relegated, 1 team is promoted.

The 2nd Division (at least until last year) is a complete clusterfuck, so a relegated team may remain in the first division if the team that wins the 2nd division championship is a team which does not meet all the requirements necessary to be qualified as a first division team (usually sister teams and "farm" teams).

I think the FMF finally did away with that though so that all 2nd Division Teams have to be certified and play for promotion. The sister teams and "farm" teams were all put into a league similar to the MLS' reserve league.

----
That's the basic summary of the tournament. Screw you SamoaBob. Next time ask more specific questions, lol.

#14 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:35 PM

I'm going to be in Mexico City on August 16 (4 days after the first USA upset in Azteca)

Which match should I attend? America x Atlas @ Azteca or UNAM x UNAL @ Olimpico Universitario?

I'd say America vs. Atlas, but since you'll have already been to Azteca, then you might enjoy checking out Ciudad Universitaria (UNAM). Maybe you should wait and check out how teams are doing before you make your decision.

#15 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:41 PM

...I suddenly really appreciate the simplicity of the MLS...

The 2nd Division (at least until last year) is a complete clusterfuck, so a relegated team may remain in the first division if the team that wins the 2nd division championship is a team which does not meet all the requirements necessary to be qualified as a first division team (usually sister teams and "farm" teams).

That's really not much of a clusterfuck, EPL has rules similar to those and because of it Arsenal has never been relegated. In the year they were supposed to go down the team coming up didn't meet the requirements of the league to come up (pitch size or something or other) and thus stayed down in the League One and Arsenal remained in the top flight
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users