179 replies to this topic

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

With 38 games per team, and to also have playoffs means starting the season Feb 1, or maybe the week after the Super Bowl, and ending in Dec. It is possible, but is it practical?

So if they stay at 34 games to keep the playoffs, then the regular season would not be balanced and some pairings will have to skip a year, or some teams in the same division will only meet once. IOW, leave things as they are, just add more teams.

Another alternative they might consider, is a tiered league equivalent to an internal pro-rel.

Bottom line, with 30 or 32 teams, what a mess!

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I don't see it happening but they could also lower the amount of regular season games. Weekday games in most cities don't draw great crowds anyway.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

With 38 games per team, and to also have playoffs means starting the season Feb 1, or maybe the week after the Super Bowl, and ending in Dec. It is possible, but is it practical?

So if they stay at 34 games to keep the playoffs, then the regular season would not be balanced and some pairings will have to skip a year, or some teams in the same division will only meet once. IOW, leave things as they are, just add more teams.

Another alternative they might consider, is a tiered league equivalent to an internal pro-rel.

Bottom line, with 30 or 32 teams, what a mess!

4- or 5-team divisions. 2 games vs division opponents, 1 vs everyone else. Means 34 or 35 games in a season.

Playoffs will never go away. Pro/rel will never happen. Anything else is just wishful thinking that doesn't take the league's financial model into account (or US sports reality, for that matter).

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Looked like a sparse Revs crowd, on TV.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
And I'm pretty sure the side away from TV is closed altogether, so the crowd was probably even tinier

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

pretty sure the side away from TV is closed

Not any more, AFAIK.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Obviously we've never had great attendance. But the drop off after 2017 is shocking. I know the PATH train is closed on the weekends this year. Was the PATH train closed last year too? That's the only possible thing that could make sense. There are no other variables that changed since 2017. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Obviously we've never had great attendance. But the drop off after 2017 is shocking. I know the PATH train is closed on the weekends this year. Was the PATH train closed last year too? That's the only possible thing that could make sense. There are no other variables that changed since 2017. 

The WTC line has been closed on weekends for a while, possibly dating back to at least part of last season (I can't remember exactly when). Before that, the 33rd Street line was closed on weekends for quite some time. My memory is fuzzy on the exact timeline of the closures, but there's been weekend disruption of some sort for at least a few years. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

The WTC line has been closed on weekends for a while, possibly dating back to at least part of last season (I can't remember exactly when). Before that, the 33rd Street line was closed on weekends for quite some time. My memory is fuzzy on the exact timeline of the closures, but there's been weekend disruption of some sort for at least a few years. 

WTC line closed after the season ended last year.

WTC has always been a decent option given the 33rd street line going through Hoboken on weekends. During the 33rd St line closure, you just had to continue on whatever subway got you to 33rd and switch to the Path at WTC (at worst a short walk from Fulton St). Route change but not a significant delay. This year and next it's definitely worse/slower.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
Does the FO even care if anyone shows up?
Or will they just keep BSing?
https://www.google.c...nce-numbers/amp
Does anyone in their right mind believe 16,848?
https://matchcenter....cincinnati/feed
Closer to 6,848.
As for Cincinatti:
https://www.google.c.../amp/3188784002
As one of the 100 or so away fans, I can confirm 33K for the USOC semi-final.
Hell, they drew 30K against RBII in the USL playoffs!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
Largest crowd of the season vs. LA.
Still, thousands of seats tarped over.
Far too many empty seats in the occupied sections.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

Largest crowd of the season vs. LA.
Still, thousands of seats tarped over.
Far too many empty seats in the occupied sections.

the usual. 

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Could count how many people were in most sections in the upper bowl yesterday

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

Lowest attendance for an MLS game at Red Bull Arena aside from the rescheduled snow playoff game?

Beginning to feel like it will just be me and 50 other people from this forum out there in a few years. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Could count how many people were in most sections in the upper bowl yesterday

Same can be said for Section 133 too

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users