390 replies to this topic

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

They need to go to inner cities and show those kids that soccer is an option. Easier said than done.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Some part of me could feel this was coming after the game at RBA, when the players wanted to blame the loss on the stadium and fans. It reminded me of Metro teams under Hans Backe, and in particular the squad that wilted against D.C. during the post-blizzard game. Teams that can't stay focused on the game itself and look for excuses are mentally fragile. 

Last night was rage-inducing and awful and embarrassing for U.S. soccer fans and everyone needs to be fired.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

He wasn't just the USMNT coach, he was Technical Director of the Federation, which does make him responsible player development.

Responsible, in theory, sure. But you can't create and develop NT/Olympics level talent from the bottom up over the course of 5 years. The blame should go all the way up to Gulati on the lack of ability to develop talent/improve youth coaching, etc.

The silver lining is that countries that have had similar and worse embarrassments like France/Spain/Germany have been able to use as a driving force for change and improvement from the ground up. Hopefully it happens here as well. There are inherent issues in the US that don't allow soccer to compete at that level yet, and maybe for a long time to come, but there's no reason we shouldn't gradually improve over time.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
This is an opportunity for real change...well see if the US capitalizes on it, or if we get the same old.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Somehow need to infuse 18-22 year olds into our team and build from there.  No more old fat cats who don't care...

Actually we are quietly doing the right thing here at RBNY. We are building a future with team first attitude, hustle and determination. It takes more than a a few years to get a program established, but bringing up young players with talent and giving them a shot and staying with them while they go through the inevitable learning curve is so important. If we stay at it eventually we have the kind of talent and depth that competes every year at a high level. We infused so many young players at the same time that it is hard to see the results yet, but they will come as long as we don't revert to the old form.

Be proud Metros, now is not the time to wallow in self pity, but rather to learn and deepen resolve.

As a wise man stated, "The most loyal fans are forged in defeat, not victory."

VOR

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador
Disappointment is not even the word. This hurts bad. First off I think both Arena and whoever the US Federation president is have to leave. No more wondos no more howards. Good time to bring in younger newer players. If you guys havent already been following them the U-17 team is doing very good in the U17 world cup. Hopefully some of those players are implemented in our next cycle. This is going to be weird not having a dog in the fight. I think shame is the right word.

LONG LIVE METRO

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

Actually we are quietly doing the right thing here at RBNY. We are building a future with team first attitude, hustle and determination. It takes more than a a few years to get a program established, but bringing up young players with talent and giving them a shot and staying with them while they go through the inevitable learning curve is so important. If we stay at it eventually we have the kind of talent and depth that competes every year at a high level. We infused so many young players at the same time that it is hard to see the results yet, but they will come as long as we don't revert to the old form.

Be proud Metros, now is not the time to wallow in self pity, but rather to learn and deepen resolve.

VOR

So >>>>>> Mr Marsch takes Bruce Arena's job?

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

Hope not. Im hoping for Vermes.

LONG LIVE METRO

RiverEnergyDrink

RiverEnergyDrink

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Btw, props to those fans that made that away trip last night.  I think they endured one of the worst away trips of all time. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

VOR

Marsch isn't the one responsible for the youth development happening here.  He's done an ok job with implementing some of the young players into the first team, but youth movement/development is a Red Bull thing.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

They need to go to inner cities and show those kids that soccer is an option. Easier said than done.

Or look the other way if kids sneaking across the southern border are carrying a soccer ball with them.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

props to those fans that made that away trip last night.  I think they endured one of the worst away trips of all time. 

I hope they partied their asses off last night with the T&T fans. Enjoy the island, return home hungover, with a vague feeling that something bad happened, that you cant exactly recall.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Bruce injected no life into this squad.  No Miazga, no Fab Johnson, none of the young kids.  It was a pitiful display of MLS and old guard favoritism and it bit us in the ass.

There is a deep rot at soccer HQ that extends beyond the pitch.  The country is making more money than ever, and yet US performances are erratic at best and underwhelming at worst at all levels since 2012.  I'm in shock, and I'll be honest and say my preconceived notions about MLS and about what is good for soccer in this country have been fundamentally shaken.

I want the youth system totally overhauled.  100%.  Removal of all pay to play outfits and a streamlining of national team style of play.  I think Tata Martino's a good guy to lead that effort as head coach of the NT.  I don't know who's a good guy to head the federation, but I want a reformist.  We need to totally overhaul the NCAA model, need to make our lower leagues financially viable and streamline NASL/USL with MLS.  But more importantly, we have to fix the youth development aspect of what we're doing.   I think Twellman's speaking a lot of what I'm feeling right now.

It's not good enough.  

#RedBullOut

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

VOR

We are partially responsible for furthering the pay to play model.  Our youth programs are partnered with Rush FC.

#RedBullOut

alberchico

alberchico

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:soccer, aviation
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, Real Madrid

Well folks, Gulati just came out and said no wholesale changes are needed. So for those hoping for change and reform its going to be a  long wait....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users