LOBO 13

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

I don't know about the Ricketts trade, did you see his display against NYRB? Stellar...

Watch the highlights. Watch the first goal. You'll see Cardozo jog, yes, jog half assed at the Revs player who sent in the cross. No pressure. It was like a training session for the Revs player to lift his head and measure a perfect ball. Our backline could be the best ever and we will get beat every week with no pressure on the ball. Dunivant was smoking something as well but you can't let the other team size up a perfect ball and play it in uncontested.

Also, how many times did you see the Revs running freely through our midfield at our defense? Nobody in the middle was tracking back at all. I saw Juninho watch guys run by him into the box without tracking back.

Look at it this way. Omar cleaned up a lot of crap last year. Either he's a top notch organizer and the other teams didn't have as many chances or we were somewhat blinded by his ability to clean up a lot of messes.

No, but I don't think the guys in the back line have as much confidence in Saunders as they did Ricketts. It's just an observation. Yes, I understand a goalkeeper is only as good as the defense in front of him, but I think Saunders has been a back up all these years for a reason.

Although subtle, I'm pretty sure I pointed out that the midfield was non-existent. Sarvas and Cardozo do not belong at either of the wide midfield positions. They are both attacking central midfielders by trade. Add in the already defensively liable Beckham and the badly out of form Juninho and it's a walk in the park through the midfield.

Omar cleaned up a lot of crap and organized the back line. That's clearly obvious, but the midfield last season was more dedicated to defending as a unit. It's just not happening this year for some reason.

Bruce needs to shake things up, change the formation and alter the approach. A player like Dema would really come in handy right now...

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

#138 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

This for the most part sums up where we're at pretty thoroughly:

There is no one issue here. There is a multitude of issues that has lead up to this disaster.

Off season loans are a contributing factor. That's obvious.

Rolling the dice on the hope that the combination of Boyens-Meyer-Leonardo would somehow equal Omar has proven to be an epic fail.

Trading Ricketts was not a good move.

I've said the once and I'll say it again... AJ is a good central defender. He is not a great one and he is trying to do too much out there. The guy has obvious limitations, but he is just doing what is being asked of him by the coach.

Having Sarvas, Beckham, and Cardozo in the midfield together was probably the stupidest thing I've seen Bruce try. It shouldn't be a surprise why New England was able to waltz through the midfield without so much as harsh word being yelled at them.

That's 'cause Sarvas and His Nibs were apparently yelling the harsh words at each other. :unsure:

The roster has changed, but the approach and tactics have not.

That seems like possibly a Bruceism. 2011:2012::2002:2006? We can hope it doesn't shake out like that.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Unless it does. :ph34r:

I don't know about the Ricketts trade, did you see his display against NYRB? Stellar...

Yep; a good keeper, or even a great one, is going to look distinctly less awesome if there's a train wreck in front of him.

As for said train wreck, Bruce did an absolutely masterful job down the stretch last fall. However, I don't know what he's been up to since then, but masterful it isn't. Luckily, it's a nice, looooooonnnng season, and he has time to figure it out. Granted, a coach can come up with a brilliant plan and it'll come to nothing if the players don't execute. But Saturday looked like he was just flailing.

Any word on when our real Captain will be back? Surely that'll help some.

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#139 haggis

haggis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Cheebs, Kebabs, Curry Sauce, all things Axl Huckleberry and my anxiety-ridden beagle, and my wife who is my life (not necessarily in that order)<br /><br />But, he's a good beagle!
  • Supports:Galaxy, Rangers, and Good Beer!

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

Yep; a good keeper, or even a great one, is going to look distinctly less awesome if there's a train wreck in front of him.

Joe Cannon comes to mind.
Judas: "We welcomed you with open arms, but will be seeing you off with the 2 finger salute!"

BMAB: Drunkenese for By Me Another Beer!
"For fear that one drink will be lonesome, take another to keep it company, and another to keep the peace between them." -Anonymous

Hey, Kool Aid!

For the love of beer, it was a pretzel!

#140 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Besides soccer? Golf, Asian girls, grilling, swilling good beer, petite syrah
  • Supports:Galaxy, USA. Xolos

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

Beckham grabbed Dunivant by the sleeve walking into the tunnel vs. DC United. Beckham was yelling at him and Dunivant yelled back. Donovan got in between them as they walked into the tunnel.

Wonder what's up.

#141 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

I think LARS needs to make a sign we can display in our section by various members holding it up and it reading, "Give Intra Team Kerfulfling The Red Car." That might get the team in better spirits.

Let's Eat!

#142 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

It looked to me like the team was more dangerous attacking and that less pressure was on the backs/Saunders in the second half. Bruce's changes were positive ones.

Well, he said that the midfield needed to change. He wanted to sub all 11, but given 2, he chose Beckham and Sarvas. Why do you think they were subbed?

Nobody said it's all on the midfield. Replacing Omar with Boyens obviosly damages the backline significantly, that is a given. Given that, the backline will continue to fail until the midfield plays to help it, not expose it. I'd love a better centerback, so would Bruce. Your solution requires yet another new face to this team that will somehow play so well that the midfield can continue to play like Omar is there. Who is this mysterious CB that will do the same job as the MLS Defender of the Year?

Your solution is no solution. Again, what magical CB is going to step in and be Omar?

I'm not worried about the name on the jersey. Whoever is capable of playing the way the team needs them too is who needs to be in there. I'm not sure Beckham is able/willing at this point. Bruce took his band and benched him. For the G's sake I hope he can still contribute. That goes for everyone on the team, like Keane said.

you got me there... i'd really like for the system to stay the same but it's pretty obvious that it can't
really would like to see a personnel move ...but if not...why not try boyens/myers in the middle with AJ out wide.... can someone lead from a Dback position?

would this work?

keane/buddle

landon/becks/junhino/franklin

dunivant/meyer/boyens/AJ

although like loney mentioned...what happened to our left back? where'd he go?

where's catamount in all this?

lobo's right...dema could help...

sigh

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#143 romero03

romero03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts
  • Supports:USMNT

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Beckham grabbed Dunivant by the sleeve walking into the tunnel vs. DC United. Beckham was yelling at him and Dunivant yelled back. Donovan got in between them as they walked into the tunnel.

Wonder what's up.

Maybe Dunivant didn't like Becks' new commercial

Twitter

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders, Galaxy, LA Kings, ASU, Notre Dame(football)

#144 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

would this work?
... ....

dunivant/meyer/boyens/AJ

One the one hand, in the middle you have a newbie paired up with a, um, is Boyens a has-been or a never-was? On the other hand, the last lineup we sent out there got worked over by the Revs; how much worse can it get (and why do I have the feeling we'll find out in the next few weeks)?

Wonder what's up.

Well, the common element between this and Saturday's kerfuffle is Everyone Knows Who, who is also no longer the back-up captain. I'm gonna go with "the guys are sick of his shit, which he thinks smells like lilacs". Or is that projection?

Also, any word on when Donovan might be able to play again? Any word at all?

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#145 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Whoever writes the preview for the next match better use "kerfuffle" in it.

Let's Eat!

#146 fredo9

fredo9

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • Interests:The Beautiful Game & Ugly Tales
  • Supports:GALAXY!

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Yeah, where's Catamount?
"That's life." -Bruce Arena

"There's no easy games in The MLS." -Robbie Keane

See You Later, My Friend!

#147 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Pizza and Boyzzzz! And Galaxy! And BEER!
  • Supports:no one...they support me!

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

would this work?

keane/buddle

dunivant/meyer/boyens/AJ

No because bex is at best a 60 minute player. He should be used at the end of games at this point.

landon/junhino/savaras/franklin might be better...

our outside mids would track back and forth more which IMHO has been the real reason we suck...

I'd also like to see bruce start using buddle the way sigi has used johnson up in seattle...maybe mcgee keane or landon keane might have a better effect on our offense... maybe chad needs to see the minutes he earned by kicking some ass last season...
STEVE SAMPSON; STILL THE GREATEST COACH OF THE LA GALAXY. EVER. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT. NUF SAID. JAJAJA!

#148 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

No because bex is at best a 60 minute player. He should be used at the end of games at this point.

landon/junhino/savaras/franklin might be better...

our outside mids would track back and forth more which IMHO has been the real reason we suck...

I'd also like to see bruce start using buddle the way sigi has used johnson up in seattle...maybe mcgee keane or landon keane might have a better effect on our offense... maybe chad needs to see the minutes he earned by kicking some ass last season...

we'll probably see that during the olympics... might work....

anyway as this thread comes to a close here's a nice fired up keane...

http://www.lagalaxy....d-after-loss-ne

dude's like 'just fucking defend...it's not that hard'

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#149 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Pizza and Boyzzzz! And Galaxy! And BEER!
  • Supports:no one...they support me!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

we'll probably see that during the olympics... might work....

and that my friends is what this team was built for...the summer break

look we are going to be missing bex, keane, (insert potential US team members here) this summer, heck if Ricketts was here, we'd been missing him too and on his salary and the one saunders earned there was no way bruce could have kept a championship caliber team together during the dog days of summer. our hope is this, we aren't super packed like last season with games on the front end. Bruce needs to buy time and ties to keep the boys spirits high, keep buddle loosing weight, and gel a backline together. simple right?

well it all starts this weekend...

Don't give up a goal for the twenty minutes and go from there...
STEVE SAMPSON; STILL THE GREATEST COACH OF THE LA GALAXY. EVER. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT. NUF SAID. JAJAJA!

#150 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

you got me there... i'd really like for the system to stay the same but it's pretty obvious that it can't
really would like to see a personnel move ...but if not...why not try boyens/myers in the middle with AJ out wide.... can someone lead from a Dback position?

would this work?

keane/buddle

dunivant/meyer/boyens/AJ

although like loney mentioned...what happened to our left back? where'd he go?

lobo's right...dema could help...

sigh

30th Anniversary. There is one person more important than LARS...

Not a tactical problem. Not a personnel problem. Chemistry problem me thinks. Looks like Bruce won't let Beckham and Sarvas carry their angst onto the field...I hope. This isn't Sarvas' or Beckham's team...I double hope. LD needs to step up...I triple hope. More thoughts later.
:cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users