44 replies to this topic

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

JCO had a really strong run of results as coach of MEXMNT, but we are not them and I do not love the guy as a coach.

I'm assuming it'll be Greg Berhalter-unless he hooked up with Earnie Stewart's wife somehow.  I can't imagine it being Jesse now that Jesse is in Europe, and I feel like Berhalter has had a stronger run of late than Vermes, etc.  Berhalter has played in MLS, Europe, coached well in MLS on middling budgets and has shown an ability to match strategies & win against other coaches in MLS. World game is a step up, but let him trim.

Frankly, if it's Tata Martino or something, I'd be a bit depressed by that. Feel like I can't name anyone better suited than Berhalter. Yes, I get that there are better coaches in the world- I'm not saying Berhalter is the second coming of Alex Ferguson or anything, I just don't feel like World/European coaches really get who we are/should be. I don't want someone to roll the ball out there and go "play like France". 

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

Kaku at right back?

That poor soul. 

I hope he doesn't get our boy injured/ruined. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Vermeeth has won 4 trophies as SKC's manager. Berhalter hasn't. But Berhalter did somehow make Gyasi Zardes the highest scoring American in MLS. How the fuck does that happen? And hopefully that translates at the USMNT level. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Slomojones

Slomojones

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
Berharlter getd his teams punching above their weight. That sounds like a good USMNT fit at the moment.
This post is dedicated to all the slow defenders of the world. Godspeed! my brothers

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

JCO had a really strong run of results as coach of MEXMNT, but we are not them and I do not love the guy as a coach.

Only reason  why JCO had a "strong run" with the Mexican National Team was due to the (and I personally hate to admit it) personal talent of the Mexican Youth Teams. Youth players like Lozano and Layun to veterans like Vela and Guardado who defended JCO, speaks to his "likeness" to players. JCO is a good club team coach.....not a National Team coach. With that, good luck to Paraguay if they hire him. Unfortunately for us, we may find Kaku playing at RB in random Paraguay national team call ups.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
I wouldnt mind seeing Arsene Wenger as usmnt manager

At this point, we need a manager who will trust our youth players and play an attacking style that will make folks proud of the team. The big names like bradley or Altidore are no longer needed. And any other manager might bring them in to boost their individual stats instead of looking at the long term health of the usmnt program. Maybe have Henry as an assistant or usmnt Olympic team manager

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

Berharlter getd his teams punching above their weight. That sounds like a good USMNT fit at the moment.

This.  This is the mark of a good coach.  Berhalter has done it over years now too.  Big time changes on that roster over the years and it hasn't mattered one bit. 

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

The next few years are rebuilding years. We need someone who will take our established youngsters (pulisic, yedlin, miazga) and add an even stronger young core (mckennie, adams, weah).  That means we'd be looking at someone who is intimately familiar with our youth ranks.  

The main guy that fits that bill is Tab Ramos - has lots of experience coaching at the U20 (?) level.  He knows our up and coming player pool better than anyone else right now. While names like Weah, Adams, Mckennie are the current bright spots at the senior national team level, there may be others that have yet to be called up, but that can become key contributors for the next decade. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The next few years are rebuilding years. We need someone who will take our established youngsters (pulisic, yedlin, miazga) and add an even stronger young core (mckennie, adams, weah).  That means we'd be looking at someone who is intimately familiar with our youth ranks.  

The main guy that fits that bill is Tab Ramos - has lots of experience coaching at the U20 (?) level.  He knows our up and coming player pool better than anyone else right now. While names like Weah, Adams, Mckennie are the current bright spots at the senior national team level, there may be others that have yet to be called up, but that can become key contributors for the next decade. 

Ramos is terrible. He failed as a u20 coach once and the team won the second time due to the talent on the squad. He also failed as the usmnt assistant coach.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

what exactly did he fail at as a u-20 coach?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics

I don't MIND Tab, but I don't think he'll get the U20s to the final. i thought the 15/17 U20 squads were great, with a lot of decent players for that moment in time, they got to the knockout rds, but imo, a tactician would finaigle us a rd or 2 further. i don't think Tab has that. 

the 2013 U20s didn't do well, but that was a group of death, iirc. Spain and France in the group stage. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Dome Torrent thinks highly of Berhalter for what that's worth:

"Torrent said he likes how Columbus plays, and said he admired Berhalter’s work.

“They have a clever coach,” he said. “I love this coach. I think he’s one of the best coaches in our conference, is my opinion. … They play really well, and I think they are a candidate to win MLS.”

When told that Berhalter had been mentioned on that shortlist, Torrent congratulated him and said he hadn’t heard, but reiterated his respect for the Columbus coach.

“I didn’t know, but I’m very happy for him,” he said. “I think about him as a clever coach. They like to play good football. [He] is a brave coach. … I don’t know the other coaches. But I like, especially, this coach.” 

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
What else is he supposed to say when asked those questions? Media bites are so often absolutely worthless.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Give Henry the job. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

What else is he supposed to say when asked those questions? Media bites are so often absolutely worthless.

He said more than he had to, but yea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users