44 replies to this topic

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

What else is he supposed to say when asked those questions? Media bites are so often absolutely worthless.

Should have linked the article in the first place, but it specifically says he said that unprompted and not as an answer to a question.

https://www.mlssocce...w-sc-best-nycfc

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

I would go with Berhalter as coach and Schweinsteigger as assistant. Wow, did Germany miss him at WC18!

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
What abt dave sarachan?

Defensively we have been pretty good.

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

I wouldnt mind seeing Arsene Wenger as usmnt manager

At this point, we need a manager who will trust our youth players and play an attacking style that will make folks proud of the team. The big names like bradley or Altidore are no longer needed. And any other manager might bring them in to boost their individual stats instead of looking at the long term health of the usmnt program. Maybe have Henry as an assistant or usmnt Olympic team manager

good idea, but I think hed be a huge bust. Coaching a big club in Europe is totally different than understanding the culture and ins and outs of the US soccer federation. In Europe, you just buy the players you want.

Come to a national team, you have to understand the culture of the national team; even understand how the domestic league works. He could coach and have great tactics for sure, but build a team, I dont know.

Thats why I kinda like a guy like Tab Ramos or Ernie Stewart.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

good idea, but I think hed be a huge bust. Coaching a big club in Europe is totally different than understanding the culture and ins and outs of the US soccer federation. In Europe, you just buy the players you want.

Come to a national team, you have to understand the culture of the national team; even understand how the domestic league works. He could coach and have great tactics for sure, but build a team, I dont know.

Point well made, and would be valid about many Euro managers. However, Wenger famously tried to develop and build with young players. Sure, he has bought a bunch of players over the years but not usually ready-made stars.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

He is famous for building teams. He did that in england, Japan and France. Only difference is that he would do that on a national team. Plus, he doesn't need to know how the MLS rules, he needs to know the American pool and that is why earnie Stewart is there.

Also the usmnt is going to have a bunch of duals. It's just the nature of being a country of immigrants. A big name guy like wegner could help us get the next earnie Stewart, Thomas Dooley, and Johnathan Brooks on this team.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,450 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Tab Ramos is a good choice. He spent plenty of time on the bench here between 96-02 to learn the coaching role and has done well at the youth level.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

What abt dave sarachan?

Defensively we have been pretty good.

People forget that Bob Bradley was originally an interim hire in 2006, but ended up getting the gig because of his performance.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
My problem with Sarachan is the one time he was a head coach in MLS, he was utter shit.

Good assistant though.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts
  • Supports:Metro

My problem with Sarachan is the one time he was a head coach in MLS, he was utter shit.

Good assistant though.

My former gym teacher.

Seriously.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Sarachan ... head coach in MLS ... utter shit.

In his first year as HC, Fire won the 2003 Shield.
The same year that Fire beat Metro in the USOC final.
Probably the most disappointing day of my fandom.
Also HC when Fire won again in 2006.
https://en.m.wikiped...s National Team

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

In his first year as HC, Fire won the 2003 Shield.
The same year that Fire beat Metro in the USOC final.
Probably the most disappointing day of my fandom.
Also HC when Fire won again in 2006.
https://en.m.wikiped...s National Team

Huh, I completely misremembered that. I wonder if I confused him with Denis Hamlett?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
Sarachan should not be coach based on anything he had or hasnt done in MLS - see Bruce Arena for reasons why success in pre-MLS 3.0 (is this where we currently are?) doesnt matter.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Hamlett took over for JCO but got fired at the end of 09 and Carlos DeLosCobos were the underperforming Chicago coaches, both lasted ~18 months. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The term "tactical dinosaur" has been thrown around way too often by people who would know for me to be happy with Sarachan.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users