• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Unless something has changed, many here have blasted Lade's play for the past several years as a left back.  I'm not sure that gives you the warm and fuzzies about our defensive situation.  Murillo is unproven at this level.  I'm hopeful, but we really do not know what he's got until he's out there.  Gotta think he's better than Zizzo, but that's not a guarantee either.

I don't think the club can afford to wait on that depth CB option...need him in before summer.

Lade was much better in 2016.  Granted RB but he has been shown to be adept at both sides.  

Agree CB depth is definately needed.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Why is Collin not starting for us?

CCL ineptitude?

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Unless something has changed, many here have blasted Lade's play for the past several years as a left back.  I'm not sure that gives you the warm and fuzzies about our defensive situation.

Lade was rightfully blasted when he played poorly, but before his injury he was playing some of the best soccer of his life.  His motor is top notch, his 1v1 is good, and his crossing really improved as well.  The only thing he got blasted for were positional errors early in his career.  He really cleaned that up...and then got injured :(

Sal has been excellent on offense.  Why?  Because he's a winger.  He's been passable to not-so-passable on defense.  Why?  Because he's not a defender.  Call me crazy, but I want my defenders to defend first and get on the scoresheet second.

We have to pray that 2 of Lade, Murillo, and Taxi work out.  Otherwise we're going to be consistently vulnerable in defense.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, MUFC, NYRB
I watched this match is probably the most bizarre way ever.

My own team was playing at 7 on Sunday so couldn't watch it live. I then tried to download it via my normal avenues of piracy but none showed up. I then saw that a replay was playing at 1am so I tried to stay up and watch it but 20 mins in it was never happening. So I screen grabbed my computer and went to bed.

I went to watch the last 70 mins last night but no sound... So I watched the match in silence. Very bizarre. Anyone else have suggestions on replays next time the happens??

Moving on to the game; I didn't think we we god awful but we weren't good. CB's still need improving ( who'd of thunk that ...) but Bilyue was better than I expected. Norwegian guy ran around a lot but still not into our flow. Sacha is still struggling and as he goes so will we. Overall not super dissapointed as I was hoping for a draw.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,062 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Game is being re-broadcast right now on FS2

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Maybe I'm overreacting because Seattle ended up scoring on this play, but I feel like there were a number of times yesterday, especially in the second half, that the team was way, way too far compressed to one side of the field. Marsch has always done this, but not to the extreme that we see in the screenshot below. All five midfielders are well past the edge of the center circle. We have literally eight players in this space covering three Seattle players, and nobody but Sal Zizzo to cover the right side of the field. 

Capture_zpsiozfzzhs.jpg

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,156 posts

Well, from the looks of it Bilyeu got caught up field(shocking), Felipe had to cover for him, Royer isn't back far enough and Davis probably committed a bit too far.

We definitely gave up too many good chances and just didn't play well. Really have to pass better because that will put Seattle and any opponent on their heels.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Maybe I'm overreacting because Seattle ended up scoring on this play, but I feel like there were a number of times yesterday, especially in the second half, that the team was way, way too far compressed to one side of the field. Marsch has always done this, but not to the extreme that we see in the screenshot below. All five midfielders are well past the edge of the center circle. We have literally eight players in this space covering three Seattle players, and nobody but Sal Zizzo to cover the right side of the field. 

Capture_zpsiozfzzhs.jpg

Pretty damning screenshot. But how is this on Marsch and not the players?

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Supports:METRO

Pretty damning screenshot. But how is this on Marsch and not the players?

Yea what does the coach have to do with positioning of the players? What does the coach do at all actually other than selecting the 11 + 3 subs?

This is a common problem we have had and it is up to the coaching staff to recognize them and correct them. Do you also think marsch has nothing to do with our fullbacks playing so high leaving the back flanks exposed? Or having the cb's join the attack on a regular basis? If it is the players doing all this than what is the coach doing?

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Yea what does the coach have to do with positioning of the players? What does the coach do at all actually other than selecting the 11 + 3 subs?

This is a common problem we have had and it is up to the coaching staff to recognize them and correct them. Do you also think marsch has nothing to do with our fullbacks playing so high leaving the back flanks exposed? Or having the cb's join the attack on a regular basis? If it is the players doing all this than what is the coach doing?

Huh? Playing fullbacks and occasionally CBs high up the field is strategic. While we get hurt regularly on the counter, the idea is that we get more offensive contributions so it's worth it on balance. Even more so in a bright future coming soon near you when we have better wingbacks than Zizzo and Bilyeu.

Having 8 players all chasing the ball on the left like the 10-year-olds at halftime is hardly a strategic approach that Marsch has ordered or can fix in real time. If we keep seeing it, then it's a different question.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

He said before the half ended we were playing to compact. Guess he didn't care enough to try and fix it. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Having 8 players all chasing the ball on the left like the 10-year-olds at halftime is hardly a strategic approach that Marsch has ordered or can fix in real time. If we keep seeing it, then it's a different question.

That's why I originally brought it up, I thought I remembered a handful of times this happened to the point where it looked intentional.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

He said before the half ended we were playing to compact. Guess he didn't care enough to try and fix it. 

Or he said something and they didn't listen to him, which is probably worse. 

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,733 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I am disappointed in your lack of confidence in Zizzo.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users