#16 cesar

cesar

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Supports:Women

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:30 AM

August is great for an afternoon walk at Central Park. get yourself a cup of cafe and sit on a bench. really pleasant experience.

go to the top of the Empire State Building. beautiful view.

check out the Grand Central Station. go inside and admire the beautiful architecture.

visit the NY Central Library. sit on the steps between the 2 lions and eat a hot dog. nice place to look at the locals and tourists hang out.

Ellis Island is great but it will burn 1/2 your day.

if the Yankees are at home, see if they are playing a day game. If it is thursday, you got a shot. Day games are great because you can buy a cheap ticket. visit Yankee stadium, that place is going to be destroyed in a couple of years. a lot of history there.

Coney Island is nice during daytime. go back to the city by 5pm though.

NEVER ever visit Jamaica. that place is shit.

#17 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:59 AM

I highly recommend eating here: http://www.unionsquarecafe.com/

Also a nice stroll around Christopher Street is always fun.

#18 galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, NCAA football (GO, BLUE), Asian Culture. Korean dramas, movies, music, politics.
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USA, Colombia

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

OK, the Bones family will be visiting the New York (and maybe Boston) in August. The only fixed point on our itinerary is the Galaxy v. Red Bulls match on August 18. I was thinking we'd see Beckham there, but I made the mistake of only looking at England's Euro matches and missed the friendly against Germany on 8/22. Gosh, I hope they won't call him in that early for a friendly.

All that said, looking for a little advice. Key questions:

• Should we stay outside the city and ride the train in each day? Rooms are way cheaper across the river in New Jersey.
  • What are your top two or three places to see and eat at?
  • And if we were to drive up to Boston so that we had one whole day to spend in that city, what should we do, see, eat, etc.?
Thanks in advance to the hive mind of LARS.

Born in NY but haven't been there in almost 5 years. However, I would say, 1) stay in NJ, if cheaper, but one of the outer boros (Queens, mainly) might be a better choice...in terms of distance from Manhattan. Then again, if you're going to the NYRB-Galaxy game, staying in NJ might be best & it's not a long ride by train to NYC!! 2) Difficult to choose just 2 or 3 top places to eat. The one thing about NYC is that there are MANY good places & different styles of food. You can't go wrong, regardless!! 3) Went to Boston once, light years ago, & didn't really like it but the pier has many good places to eat...mostly, Clam Chowder....and Harvard Square is THE spot to hang out at night, if I remember!!

Sorry that I can't be more specific but hope it helps!! Have fun!!

L.A. Galaxy - 4-Time & Back-to-Back MLS Cup Champions!!

Brady Hoke - returning U-M to glory...Go, Blue!

USA Soccer - Don't Tread On Us!

Colombia - returning to the World Cup after 16-year hiatus!

#19 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

Then I think it's 6th St. between 1st and 2nd, there is a row of Indian restaurants that are affordable and super good Indian food, better than LA, not as good and England, they often have super cheap lunch deals.

That row of Indian restaurants is absolutely superb. My sister lives in Manhattan, and pretty much the only two things I want to do when I go there is hang out in Central Park and go eat at one of those Indian restaurants at night.

As stated previously - The Empire State Building is a must for any tourist. I did the Statue of Liberty once as well - it took quite a bit of time and wasn't that awe inspiring, but I can say that I've done it.

If you're there during the weekend, they shut down some streets going through Central Park and everybody roller blades and bicycles through the park. That would be a lot of fun for a family.

I haven't seen Spamalot, but my 14 year old to 20 year old nieces and nephews absolutely loved it.

#20 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Tottenham hotspur

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:10 PM

since the topic of ivy league schools was brought up at the game yesterday, if you manage to get to boston for a day you could check out Harvard too. I spent a few hours walking around it when I was out there and liked it a lot

#21 diesolo

diesolo

Reserve Team

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy!!!!
  • Supports:GALAXY

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:50 AM

I just came back from New York a little less than a month ago. I have some stuff i could probably bring for you like maps of the trains and stuff like that PM and let me know if you need them.
diesolo

#22 LuvKeane

LuvKeane

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts
  • Interests:ROY KEANE AND FOOTBALL!!! Musical theatre (Non-Sondheim!)
  • Supports:Broadway & Prawn Sandwich Brigade

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:38 PM

Well, if your daughter hasn't decided on a show, I just pre-ordered my $132.65 ticket to see Mel Brook's Young Frankenstein which is opening in November! :P
WEST END = PRE-BROADWAY TRY-OUTS

#23 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:55 PM

Thanks again for all your help.

On your advice, we've booked a place in the Murray Hill section of Midtown. Not quite the Village, but we got a good price on a suite hotel which has a small kitchen in each room. Eating out for a whole week wears you down. And the place is just a couple of blocks from Grand Central, so we can get trains to anywhere from there.

One other question: what's the advisability of taking the subway to Yankee stadium, and does it matter if it's a day or night game?

#24 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:18 PM

One other question: what's the advisability of taking the subway to Yankee stadium, and does it matter if it's a day or night game?

subway is very easy to yankee stadium. was about a 30-40 minute trip from manhattan when I went.

one thing to note - if you go on a weeknight and during rush our, there's an express subway that skps about five or six stops as you head towards brooklyn. I got caught in this, and watched as the subway zoomed by the stadium exit. If this happens, just get off at the following exit, and hop back on going back. Once you get off and walk upstairs, the stadium is across the street.

#25 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

subway is very easy to yankee stadium. was about a 30-40 minute trip from manhattan when I went.

one thing to note - if you go on a weeknight and during rush our, there's an express subway that skps about five or six stops as you head towards brooklyn. I got caught in this, and watched as the subway zoomed by the stadium exit. If this happens, just get off at the following exit, and hop back on going back. Once you get off and walk upstairs, the stadium is across the street.

Thanks Darren, but I was really asking more about the safety issue especially with night games. The whole family will be going, and while the kids know about my past, they've never actually seen me kill or badly hurt someone. I just need to know what to expect.

#26 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:02 PM

Thanks Darren, but I was really asking more about the safety issue especially with night games. The whole family will be going, and while the kids know about my past, they've never actually seen me kill or badly hurt someone. I just need to know what to expect.

I went to a night game. It was no problem. So many people go to games there's plenty of families around. I never felt uncomfortable there. Just make sure when the game ends you don't linger around brooklyn. follow the crowd directly back to the station and get on to go home. you'll be fine.

#27 Binks

Binks

Posting From Behind Enemy Lines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,749 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, RFC

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:13 PM

You won't have any problems.

It's busy but not that bad. There's two separate subway lines up there, and if you decided to stay in New Jersey, depending on where you decided to stay you can take a ferry almost to the stadium. If become very popular and there's officer's along the way to reduce the bullshit in between the stadium and the pier.

If you want decent cheap places to eat, I've got a few.

Also, Make damn sure you hit the MOMA, the Guggenheim and the Empire State Building. The Empire State Building you can do with Times Square, Radio City, MSG, and pretty much anything else along 7th ave.

PM me if you need some advice on the subways or if you have questions.

Pregame pints 15. Ticket to the game 60. Carlsburg, Meatpie and Crisps 16. Seeing an American score on another American at a Premier League match in England; Priceless.
"i just like to be careful right b4 i go on a first date with a chick. too much weird comments on facebook and im dead from the start" - JayDelight

"There's nothing good about my team, my team is shit!" (Harraby Lad to Alexi Lalas about Carlisle United)

And then, just like that, his halitosis and jersey were gone. -Bobby Boswell on Bobbygate

#28 haggis

haggis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Cheebs, Kebabs, Curry Sauce, all things Axl Huckleberry and my anxiety-ridden beagle, and my wife who is my life (not necessarily in that order)<br /><br />But, he's a good beagle!
  • Supports:Galaxy, Rangers, and Good Beer!

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

My two cents on beer:

You have to have a beer at McSorley's Old Ale House mcsorleysnewyork (only two available: a light ale or a dark ale).

"McSorley's Old Ale House has been a gathering place, a watering hole, the subject of art and literature and even a supreme court controversy. Established in 1854 - McSorley's can boast of being New York City's oldest continuously operated saloon. Everyone from Abe Lincoln to John Lennon have passed thru Mcsorley's swinging doors. "

Chelsea Brewery had some really good beers on Tap last time I was there, as did any of the Hearland Brewpubs.

chelseabrewingco
HeartlandBrewery
Judas: "We welcomed you with open arms, but will be seeing you off with the 2 finger salute!"

BMAB: Drunkenese for By Me Another Beer!
"For fear that one drink will be lonesome, take another to keep it company, and another to keep the peace between them." -Anonymous

Hey, Kool Aid!

For the love of beer, it was a pretzel!

#29 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:09 PM

The Bones family have arrived in Nueva Jyork - this place rules and we've only been here a few hours. Had sammiches at a deli around the corner where we're staying which is at 39th and 3rd. Our place is amazing, the cab fare from the airport was cheaper than I thought it be, there's a market right around the corner for supplies, and everyone we've talked to has been really friendly, which actually has me off my stride a bit.

We're weighing options for tomorrow and are looking forward to putting all ya'll's advice into action.

Edit: Just got tickets for Hairspray - amazingly Lance Bass joins the cast this week playing the male lead, which I guess will give him a chance to show he can act. Lance is still a few years and a few pounds shy of playing the Mom.

#30 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:51 AM

OK - we got back last night. New York pretty much rules. Thanks to all ya'll who helped with advice. Here's some random NY thoughts and observations...

New York is a great place to eat! We were in a great neighborhood - there was a bagel place 40 yards from our hotel and it just went from there. Best meals were at Cafe Habana in Nolita (thanks Kittens!), Lombardi's in Little Italy for pizza in the classic Neapolitan style (we keep trying to do this at home and our oven just doesn't get hot enough), and Cafe Buon Gusto in the Upper East Side. As promised by Kittens, our server at Cafe Habana was "smokin' hot", but not nearly as much as the beautiful Italian girl at Cafe Buon Gusto who seemed to find BonesJr's SoCal wholesomeness exotic or something.

We also had amazing, and amazingly expensive gelato at a place in the West Village, which we wandered into after seeing a long line of tourists at the cup cake bakery that Gen Buck tipped us to. Nine bucks for five ping pong ball size scoops of the best gelato ever. $47 on my visa when we left.

But the hot dog carts were awful! I've always had a longing to eat hot dogs from a street cart in New York. I tried it three times - downtown, in Central Park, and outside Columbia, and they were all bad - and I mean really bad, that chemical taste bad. The only good dog I had was at the stadium for the Galaxy match. The bacon wrap vendors would make a killing in NYC

The Subways Rule! $28 a piece gave us unlimited access to the transit system. I loved getting to know the system, being around the people, the grittiness of the stations, and ease of travel. I felt kind of lame and diminished tooling around Glendora in my minivan today.

Driving on Manhattan was fun! We rented a car on Wednesday to drive down to Princeton to make a college visit. I loved the mix of aggression and order to New York driving. I'm ready for more. Conversely, driving the Jersey turnpikes was disappointing. I like driving through open country and farm land, but the trees on either side of the turnpike acted like giant hedges blocking out everything else. We stopped at the shore in Belmar (following hwy 138!) on the way back. It was hot on the boardwalk because the wind was off shore.

Brooklyn! In honor of David and Victoria's eldest, we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, and then caught the subway down to Coney Island. We had lunch at Nathans, which was actually pretty good and not outrageously expensive. The dogs were smaller than I expected, so my wonder at Kobayashi et al slightly diminished, but only slightly. Our cabbie on the ride back to the airport was from Brooklyn and he was happy we spent a day in his borough.

Yankee fans... Suck! You get used to getting a lot of stick when your a Dodger fan. You know the drill, no one cares about the game, they get there in the second and leave in the seventh, blah blah blah. Well, Yankee fan was a bit more into the game - or at least the players asses, as the Dominican girls who sat behind us. But it was what Vin Scully often calls a "late arriving crowd", and when we got up to leave after seven innings (we were exhausted and the game was already three hours gone), half the crowd got up and left along with us. All hail the might Yankee fan. Oh and read this, Fucking Yankees from The Onion.

Juxtaposition On Saturday, we saw Juan Pablo Angel play forward for Red Bull. On Sunday, we saw Ashley Parker Angel play the male lead in Hairspray. Hmm

Biggest Disappointment While we were there, The National Air Guitar Championships took place at the Filmore. I didn't know about it until I was reading last week's New Yorker this morning at the car wash. Justin Timberlake played MSG while we were there too, but sexy never left the Bones family so he had little effect on us.

The Metropolitan Museum was overwhelming We were there three and half hours and only saw a fraction of it - possibly because ancient Egypt is part of my field and went through that exhibit, um, somewhat slowly. Plus we were already tired from walking around Central Park.

More data for why the Red Bulls don't draw. Before we went to Ground Zero, we ducked into a Portabello's, a pizza place, and stuck up a nice conversation with the owner, who even came over to our table and talked with us a bit more. When he learned we were from SoCal, asked if we'd been to Carson - it turned out he'd grown up playing with Chris Armas. When told him we had Galaxy season seats and were going to the G's/Red Bull match on Saturday, he quickly replied, "That's my team" and pointed to a photo of the Cosmos.

History is Cool I loved talking with my kids about Lincoln's 1860 speech while standing in front of the Cooper Union and the Stonewall Riots while sitting in that little park on Christopher Street.

Heck, the whole place is awesome (except for Times Square on Saturday night - blech) We are so glad we took you're encouragement to stay in the city, and would highly recommend our hotel. Now I'm just trying to figure out how soon we can get back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users