179 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Personally I think its a pretty bad precedent to give a guy the armband so he doesn't leave.  I don't mind paying the guy, but that crosses the line for me.  

Agreed. But, its not like Kemar is demanding the Captaincy as a requirement for him staying and hes one of the 4-5 in the running for it anyway. You could argue hes the best candidate. Keeper isnt a great position for a Captain - Davis may not be a starter, Adams is too young, and Felipe is too Felipe. The choice could be down to Kemar and BWP anyway.

odsum25

odsum25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Agreed. But, its not like Kemar is demanding the Captaincy as a requirement for him staying and hes one of the 4-5 in the running for it anyway. You could argue hes the best candidate. Keeper isnt a great position for a Captain - Davis may not be a starter, Adams is too young, and Felipe is too Felipe. The choice could be down to Kemar and BWP anyway.

Agreed. He just said feels like he can handle that role. (I really think that that Robles will wear the armband this year though.)

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Supports:Metro
I think Robles will get it, but understand the positional idea of avoiding that.

If there much pushback on Felipe amongst the fans? Id be happy if he wore the armband.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,392 posts
Exactly. No way do you give him the armband under those circumstances. No problem with a raise,but he made it pretty clear in that long interview that this isn't about money.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts

Exactly. No way do you give him the armband under those circumstances. No problem with a raise,but he made it pretty clear in that long interview that this isn't about money.

Hes not forcing anyone to give him the armband. He just may be the best person.

Borats

Borats

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

He also tweeted and then deleted hed love to play in Turkey.

My point exactly - the guy is all over the place. He loves to play in France, he loves Turkey (then deletes it), he wants to be RB captain, etc... I think he loves to get paid, not necessarily leave for Europe for a "prestige" of playing in Turkey. There is no bad precedent or reputation damage to be set for RB by not taking first offer of 2 mil but instead perhaps paying Kemar ourselves or if agreeing to a transfer, it needs to be for a fee where we can turn this around and get immediate impact player now for 2018. Let's not be saying good bye to Lawrence just yet.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts

I think Robles will get it, but understand the positional idea of avoiding that.

If there much pushback on Felipe amongst the fans? Id be happy if he wore the armband.

I think Felipes diving/gamesmanship isnt great for a Captain.

That said, I think the captaincy is overrated. Not sure how much it matters.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,164 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

If he secures a work permit and if some Championship team or one of the Auld Firm comes calling, he out. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,245 posts

Has Kemar, ahh, been to Turkey before? Ever? 

If not, he should probably just be honest about it and tweet that he wants to play for a higher salary. I wouldn't blame him, if I could go overseas and get paid 5x what I do right now I wouldn't think twice about it. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,392 posts
The best person is Robles and I'll be shocked if he doesn't get it. Maybe they go with BWP even knowing he may not be back after next year.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

The best person is Robles and I'll be shocked if he doesn't get it. Maybe they go with BWP even knowing he may not be back after next year.

not a big goalie as captain guy, but in this situation in has to go to Robles.  He is above and beyond the best option.  Just for his town hall appearance post Petke he deserves it lol.

I would love to give it to Davis, but a captain has to be an automatic starter.  BWP is so streaky, quieter guy. that I don't want to even risk distracting him with the captaincy, just focus on scoring goals.  And then I hate having pests like Felipe as captain, to me it just puts a target on your team's back when you are led by a guy like that, and it empowers him to engage with refs more which we don't need.  

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Supports:METRO

Ii'd be shocked if felipe isn't the captain, but robles deserves it.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Supports:Metro
My guess is Robles, but I wouldnt be shocked if it was Felipe or BWP. Id be shocked if it was anyone else.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
Its felipe has passion - also setting up so they can trade him next year..

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,268 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Márquez was a bust...

Why may be why RB has not splurged on DPs since

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users