• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Mathes1982

Mathes1982

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:soccer first and formost, reading, movies, and drinking probably.
  • Supports:Galaxy, NUFC, Barca, England

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:03 AM

Front page of espn soccernet Figo to Galaxy

Now this is not a good move in my opinion, hes old and I don't like him, thats my personal opinion.

I also read on another website that a player from Reading- John Oster is wanted by the Galaxy, is that the young English kid who was coming over to trial?

By the way Jaqua is out with surgery on his wrist, woohoooooo.

#2 Gunner

Gunner

Dir. of Football Operations

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts
  • Supports:G's, Arsenal, Inter Milan, Ajax

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:48 AM

I'll take Figo any day specially if it means ditching Vagenas for cap room.

Does anyone remember that one time when he first played vs Barcelona with Real? He went to take a corner kick and someone in the stands threw a coke bottle which landed near him, he then picked it up and drank some....it was great cos he was sponsored by Coke at the time so it made for a great commercial.

#3 USfootballFAN

USfootballFAN

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Rangers, Arsenal

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

Figo wouldn't be so bad, but it just adds to the "retirement-league" label that's being cultivated. Also, I'm getting really sick of Lalas. Everytime he opens his mouth I want to punch him in the face. Don't know why; just do. Maybe it's that smug look on his face, or maybe it's just that he says stupid shit. Or maybe I'm just hungry and so a bit grumpy.

:blink:

#4 Gunner

Gunner

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts
  • Supports:G's, Arsenal, Inter Milan, Ajax

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:56 AM

Figo wouldn't be so bad, but it just adds to the "retirement-league" label that's being cultivated. Also, I'm getting really sick of Lalas. Everytime he opens his mouth I want to punch him in the face. Don't know why; just do. Maybe it's that smug look on his face, or maybe it's just that he says stupid shit. Or maybe I'm just hungry and so a bit grumpy.

I just spit coffee through my nose, this post is awesome on so many different levels!!

#5 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:58 AM

I, too, think that Figo's move smacks of "retirement league", and that's bad for MLS.

The guys that are good for the league are people like JP Angel (two more goals last nihgt) and even Paco Palencia, who said that coming to MLS reinvigorated his game.

MLS needs to be very disciplined and targeted with the Euros they acquire.

#6 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:05 PM

More and more responsibility for the G's struggles point to Lalas in my book. As a coach, when I began to feelt that way, I would pull the player out of the mix to see what would happen. More often than not the team improved, even though the player may have been one of the most talented.

Lalas spans the end of the SS reign when the G's could not win a game or buy a goal, to the present. The G's started poorly last year when he arrived, and they have started poorly this year under his offseason leadership. I'm feeling more and more that Lalas likes the limelight and he's more interested in how he looks than the real condition of the G's. He seems to like to stir up rumors. The Beckham deal came through Leiwicke, not Lalas.

I contrast Lalas to the best GM in any sport in recent years, Jerry West. There were certain characteristics to West's approach:

1. He never sought the limelight, always staying in the background and elevating the team owner to the spotlight.

2. He NEVER even hinted at the moves he was attempting to make until they were a done deal.

3. He spoke individually to players and never repeated those conversations in public. He left it to the players to speak if they chose.

4. He spoke daily with the owner, working as a servant on behalf of the organization. Reports are that he left when Jerry Buss became less available than he needed. He felt that he could not continue to work without close contact with the owners.

Lalas's relationships seem all wrong. He appears to talk with the media more than he talks with his boss or his players. He airs everything in public. I'm not impressed.

#7 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Supports:LA/USA

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:37 PM

If you watched Inter Milan this year, you know Figo is good. He did contribute a lot to their title, and I could never understand why he was always linked with a move to Saudi Arabia or back home to Portugal. He's a great player. He was beating Serie A defenders on the dribble and serving great crosses all season.

He can hang in any European league with any of the top teams, so I think this reeks of him wanting a shitload of money.

P.S. What were Alexi's qualifications for becoming a GM? I specifically remember in the 2004 pre-season, a bunch of LARS went to see the Galaxy play the OC Blue Star featuring Jurgen Klinnsmann in a practice match at the HDC. Alexi was playing in the match, and then chatted with LARS after the game. He was ready for the season and assumed he'd be starting as a center back for Sigi. Two weeks later he was GM of San Jose.

Alexi suddenly went from long haired guitar playing soccer player to suit behind the team. I always thought GM's were supposed to know all aspects of business (marketing, budgeting, PR, financing) before becoming a GM. Usually that position requires advanced degrees and experience.

...ooooh ooooooooh we are the riot squad...

#8 Gooner

Gooner

First Team

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy / The Gooners

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:52 PM

More and more responsibility for the G's struggles point to Lalas in my book. As a coach, when I began to feelt that way, I would pull the player out of the mix to see what would happen. More often than not the team improved, even though the player may have been one of the most talented.

Lalas spans the end of the SS reign when the G's could not win a game or buy a goal, to the present. The G's started poorly last year when he arrived, and they have started poorly this year under his offseason leadership. I'm feeling more and more that Lalas likes the limelight and he's more interested in how he looks than the real condition of the G's. He seems to like to stir up rumors. The Beckham deal came through Leiwicke, not Lalas.

I contrast Lalas to the best GM in any sport in recent years, Jerry West. There were certain characteristics to West's approach:

1. He never sought the limelight, always staying in the background and elevating the team owner to the spotlight.

2. He NEVER even hinted at the moves he was attempting to make until they were a done deal.

3. He spoke individually to players and never repeated those conversations in public. He left it to the players to speak if they chose.

4. He spoke daily with the owner, working as a servant on behalf of the organization. Reports are that he left when Jerry Buss became less available than he needed. He felt that he could not continue to work without close contact with the owners.

Lalas's relationships seem all wrong. He appears to talk with the media more than he talks with his boss or his players. He airs everything in public. I'm not impressed.

I'll defend Alexi all day long so hear goes:

1. Alexi has another VERY IMPORTANT job some of you are forgetting. He has been given the key to opening up a secret sports league to the public eye of not jus the U.S. but the whole world. A year ago all of the U.S. and most of Europe and the rest of the world new who the Los Angeles Lakers and the NBA were. Did they know who the Los Angeles Galaxy and MLS were. FO's starting rumours to gain publicity for their teams is a long standing tradition not just in this sport but in every sport.

2. West had a whole lot more experience than Alexi by the time he became GM. He had been a coach and an FO executive before becoming a GM. Then there is the matter of 20 years worth of time to pick and choose successes from. Alexi took off the boots and went straight to the top. If not a recipe for failure, then it is at least a recipe for learning the hard way.

3. I'm sure West had loads of support from below as well as above. I'm pretty sure that top to bottom - there is money and quality in the FO of a big market NBA team. Have you dealt extensively with FO types at the Galaxy? There are those who are interested only in moving up and out as quickly as the can - who can blame them when you consider the opportunities in Big 3 sports franchises in this country. And well there are others...

4. Finally, Alexi probably has to do a lot of what he is told rather than what he thinks is best. He works for AEG and at the end of the day any big decisions for this team get made above the GMs head. That you do see in other sports and whether it proves successful or not - it usually makes the GM or coach that plays the subordinate roll to the owner look like a bit of puppet.

#9 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Pizza and Boyzzzz! And Galaxy! And BEER!
  • Supports:no one...they support me!

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:56 PM

TOKEN GM

clap clap

clap clap clap

STEVE SAMPSON; STILL THE GREATEST COACH OF THE LA GALAXY. EVER. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT. NUF SAID. JAJAJA!

#10 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 03:15 PM

I'll defend Alexi all day long so hear goes:

1. Alexi has another VERY IMPORTANT job some of you are forgetting. He has been given the key to opening up a secret sports league to the public eye of not jus the U.S. but the whole world. A year ago all of the U.S. and most of Europe and the rest of the world new who the Los Angeles Lakers and the NBA were. Did they know who the Los Angeles Galaxy and MLS were. FO's starting rumours to gain publicity for their teams is a long standing tradition not just in this sport but in every sport.

2. West had a whole lot more experience than Alexi by the time he became GM. He had been a coach and an FO executive before becoming a GM. Then there is the matter of 20 years worth of time to pick and choose successes from. Alexi took off the boots and went straight to the top. If not a recipe for failure, then it is at least a recipe for learning the hard way.

3. I'm sure West had loads of support from below as well as above. I'm pretty sure that top to bottom - there is money and quality in the FO of a big market NBA team. Have you dealt extensively with FO types at the Galaxy? There are those who are interested only in moving up and out as quickly as the can - who can blame them when you consider the opportunities in Big 3 sports franchises in this country. And well there are others...

4. Finally, Alexi probably has to do a lot of what he is told rather than what he thinks is best. He works for AEG and at the end of the day any big decisions for this team get made above the GMs head. That you do see in other sports and whether it proves successful or not - it usually makes the GM or coach that plays the subordinate roll to the owner look like a bit of puppet.

1. Never seen a team do that was highly successful. New England Pats, very secretive, zero rumors. Lakers, already mentioned. The G's needed a man with experience to deal with the globalization of the Galaxy brand, not an unproven rookie.

2. Another reason to pick somebody else, even from another sport.

3. If that is the culture of the FO, I'm very disappointed that AL took the job, especially if he is serious about creating a winner.

4. Alexi Lalas has never done what he was told before. If he has done so now, I am very very disappointed.

Lalas fired Sampson, hired Yallop. That was a good move. As a GM AL has presided over losing records everywhere. We don't need a rookie in this job. We need a winner.

#11 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:46 PM

FIGO WHO?

Figo wouldn't be so bad, but it just adds to the "retirement-league" label that's being cultivated.

Whole heartedly agree. He would help the team, but he would add to the retirement image.

Also, I'm getting really sick of Lalas. Everytime he opens his mouth I want to punch him in the face. Don't know why; just do. Maybe it's that smug look on his face, or maybe it's just that he says stupid shit. Or maybe I'm just hungry and so a bit grumpy.

Yikes!

:lol:

#12 cesar

cesar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Supports:Women

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:04 PM

Lalas is a GM because people recognize his mug. He is one of the faces of American futbol. he probably knows shit about marketing and selling a team but his face is a familiar one to people like us that follow futbol.

i for one think he is not a good GM. look at the player moves (besides Becks that he did not make) he made. he fucked us over while being a GM with the Quakes. as a suit, he is not that good.

#13 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:10 PM

he probably knows shit about marketing and selling a team but his face is a familiar one to people like us that follow futbol.

Come on, he knows more about selling Slurpies than anyone. Now if that doesn't translate to understanding how to create winners...

Maybe you have a point. <_<

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Twitter: BigTony_42

#14 Mathes1982

Mathes1982

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:soccer first and formost, reading, movies, and drinking probably.
  • Supports:Galaxy, NUFC, Barca, England

Posted 07 June 2007 - 06:35 PM

I think we need a striker more than we need another midfielder.

#15 GUNSLINGER

GUNSLINGER

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy. Club America. Inter

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:18 PM

we can be a convalecent home in the eyes of the world for all i care. figo has been playing some good futbol with INTER. With him on the left and beckham on the right, lets hope whoever is at forward doesnt let it go to waste. figo would definately do us justice.

Roberto Carlos said he wanted out of Real Madrid. Im suprised Lalas didnt go out and say he wanted him too. Cuz now'a days as long a u want to retire or out of your team, your instantly wanted by the G's according to Lalas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users