Conference Position: 6th
League Position: 12th
Form: L-L-D-L-D
Last Match: 1-1 vs. Colorado
Next Match: @ Houston Dynamo

Last Meetings:
09/09/08 – Los Angeles 2-2 Salt Lake
05/06/09 – Salt Lake 2-2 Los Angeles

Within the oddly scheduled calendar of Major League Soccer, Los Angeles and Salt Lake meet for the second and final time in the regular season this weekend. For the blue and white, the match represents the second game of the four which the team will have to face without Los Angeles and United States national team Captain Landon Donovan. Galaxy will once again rely on hard work and collective football if it hopes to build in the successes of its last outing in Canada and extend the early season point and finally position itself in a spot for the playoffs.

The Big Two in the Big Three

Oh to dream… and dream we did last season as Galaxy fans across the league enjoyed dreams of the Galaxy’s league best offense with something, anything, and anything at all better than the league worst offense.

For a team that missed the playoffs by 6 points, two games of solid defending may have done the trick and may have very well turned losses into victories and could have stopped Los Angeles’ streak without playoffs at two.

Unfortunately, ‘what if’ are the two most tragic words in the English language and Galaxy had no defense to match its offensive firepower.

Key to Galaxy’s attack were it’s “big three”: Landon Donovan, Edson Buddle and Alan Gordon. At 20 goals, 9 assists, 15 goals, 3 assists, and 5 goals, 7 assists respectively, the three strikers accounted for over 70% of the team’s goals last season. Add David Beckham to the equation and suddenly we’re talking about almost all of the Galaxy’s offense last year.

This season began with the offense missing a big piece. Edson Buddle was sidelined to injury for a considerable part of the season, and has yet to truly earn his spot in the starting line-up.

As a result, Galaxy’s attack has suffered, and the team, collectively, has struggled going forward. All pressure has fallen on the shoulders of Landon Donovan, and Alan Gordon has failed to deliver upon being thrust into the starting XI.

Oh to dream… and dream we have this season as Galaxy fans across the league enjoyed dreams of Galaxy’s newly found defensive unit with something, anything, anything at all from the team’s offensive exploits from last season.

Fortunately for Galaxy fans, just as it seemed all hope was lost with Landon Donovan’s call-up to the US National Team, and Alan Gordon could not deliver as a starter, and Edson Buddle could not regain his form, the “Big Two” in the “Big Three” answered the call.

Alan Gordon delivered the best performance he has had with the Galaxy perhaps since his two goal effort against Chivas USA over a year ago, and Edson Buddle followed his first goal of the season with another.

With both players showing enough to believe them both to be MLS level starters this past weekend, Bruce Arena’s outlook in the attacking end just got a lot brighter.

To have these players scoring goals does volumes not only for the team’s current situation, but puts a much more colorful tone on the team’s fate as the season progresses. If Galaxy can combine last season’s offensive firepower with this season’s orderly defending, the playoffs may soon be part of LA’s vocabulary once again.

It remains to be seen whether Bruce will want to have the big two out on the field at the same time, or if he will revert to his ‘big man + little man’ system and use either Buddle or Gordon on the field in number 9 role with either Mike Magee or Jovan Kirovski playing as a number 11.

Streaking Sides

Galaxy will probably be riding high this week as the team heads home to Victoria Street and hosts Real Salt Lake, and the two sides could not come into this match with more different stories to tell.

On the one hand, a Galaxy side that’s been building steadily all season long, adding points at almost every outing, and slowly unearthing each and every last one of the benefits that may come from patience.

On the other hand, a Salt Lake team that is slowly running out if it and whose owners’ fingers are starting to get a little itchy with only three points having been obtained from the last seven matches,.

With the win in Toronto, Galaxy is now over a month away from their last league loss. Los Angeles actually has to look back through 10 different rivals to find its last defeat.
Meanwhile, Salt Lake’s last victory was a clamorous 6-0 ravaging of the New England revolution almost a month and a half ago.

To add to these streaks, Galaxy will also be looking to extend another streak, particularly favorable to this rival, as Los Angeles goes for it’s fourth straight match without a loss to the ‘Royals’.

Galaxy Injury Report

- TBD -

Caasi Gohd’s Expected Lineup

----------------Ricketts-----------------
--DLG----Berhalter----Gonzalez----Todd---
------------Kovalenko---Tudela-----------
--Magee---------------------------Lewis—-
------------Gordon-----Buddle------------

#2 galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, NCAA football (GO, BLUE), Asian Culture. Korean dramas, movies, music, politics.
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USA, Colombia

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:08 PM

HUGE game for us & a BIG chance to move up in the standings!! I'd love to see:

-------------------Ricketts----------------
DLG------Berhalter----Omar---Dunivant
Klein---------Dema-----Tudela----Lewis
-----------Jordan-----------Buddle------

Subs: Offense - Gordon & Magee. Defense - Miglioranzi & Griffin

Hope we play with passion, energy & determination ;)

L.A. Galaxy - 4-Time & Back-to-Back MLS Cup Champions!!

Brady Hoke - returning U-M to glory...Go, Blue!

USA Soccer - Don't Tread On Us!

Colombia - returning to the World Cup after 16-year hiatus!

#3 footballfantatic

footballfantatic

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, Riotsquad, USMNT, Billiards!
  • Supports:LA G's, USMNT, My babies Momma

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:12 AM

A win would get the season rolling! Remember when the Crew a few years ago had a ton of ties and everyone was saying they sucked! They then had an amazing season to crash out early in the playoffs. Good times. :cheers:
“Red Stripe, mon!” -Ricketts

#4 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

Fuck RSL
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#5 shark_boy

shark_boy

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Supports:LA GALAXY - POR VIDA!

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

A win would get the season rolling! Remember when the Crew a few years ago had a ton of ties and everyone was saying they sucked! They then had an amazing season to crash out early in the playoffs. Good times. :cheers:

Damn, you had me going... then I read the end of your post and rememberd the season. Shiza!

I hope we can build on the Toronto game. The G's looked tough and determined to win that game. I loved it! I missed the passion! I hope they can keep it up...

#6 Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

We've got a chance to pick up a minimum of 7 points over the next three games; home vs RSL, away to SJ and home to Houston. We can make our presence felt in the table by doing so.

We'll see what type of side we really have. RSL is piss poor on the road, this is just the type of game that we absolutely should win.

#7 prrnrngr

prrnrngr

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Interests:The LA galaxy, The Sox, The DC5
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Boston Red Sox

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:45 PM

Can we dress like Mormon Missionaries again?
Posted Image

#8 samoabob

samoabob

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • Supports:LA GALAXY! Liverpool FC

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:56 PM

-----------Jordan-----------Buddle------

I like Brian as much as the next guy, but I don't think he is ready to start yet. I would like to see him as 60th minute sub. With Gordons performance in Canada there is no doubt he will start. I see us drawing this one without LD

#9 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:30 PM

...Bryan Jordan
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#10 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

RSL's atrocious record on the road + G's two game winning streak* = A good chance that the G's second home win of the season is on the horizon.

Keys to the game:
On the basic side, score more than two goals. With Ricketts GAA holding at a respectable 0.90, the G's need two put two in the back of the opposition's net. The 1-0 win is always possible, but I expect the inevitable defensive breakdown with our current backline.

On the matchup side, the midfield battle between must be won by Tudela/Kovalenko over Morales/Beckerman. Close the damn space down!

A bit of good news for the G's:

While the rest of his teammates worked out today, striker Robbie Findley remained on the sideline in a jacket and knit cap, nursing an ankle injury.

Findley has not practiced this week, after suffering the injury in the home draw with the Colorado Rapids last weekend. Coach Jason Kreis is hopeful the striker can play on the road against the Los Angeles Galaxy on Saturday, but said that at the moment, Findley is "not so great."

* Friendly included in winning streak

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

#11 impatient_ingrate

impatient_ingrate

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:18 PM

This game will be another progress test. So far this season the team has achieved a few "milestones", they've scored a goal at the Dick and won in Canadia. Can the G's win at home against a team they should beat based on the recent form of both teams?

#12 The Sign Guy

The Sign Guy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts
  • Interests:My name is Ali. I live in the real part of the OC. <br />I hate USC, Chivas, the Clippers, and ManUre.
  • Supports:Galaxy Arsenal

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:22 PM

Findley plays we will lose. If he doesn't we have a chance to be on the right side of a blowout in god knows how long. Either way LA and RSL will score 3 combined
The picture is of the greatest city in the USA- LOS ANGELES!

We are 137!! LAG till I die

2009 Champs: Lakers, Angels, Galaxy , Kings
Oh well 1/4 and 3 division titles and 2 conference championships, looking good

2010 Champs: Lakers, Angels, Galaxy, Kings

#13 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

As many of my "Friends" pointed out to me, the G's won last weekend when I was out of town in San Diego, so they immediately requested that I bugger off for this match as well.

Fortunately, I have a wedding to attend on the East Coast. Not only will I be gone for this one, but will not be arriving back in LA until after the San Jose game the following weekend.

I predict we'll have a full 21 points by the time I land in LAX.

Then Ali and I will make our triumphant return June 28th against the Hooter's Girls.

#14 USfootballFAN

USfootballFAN

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Rangers, Arsenal

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:45 AM

Fuck RSL

Quoted for profundity.

#15 Catamount

Catamount