80 replies to this topic

#1 firefan1998

firefan1998

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

so who in your mind deserves to be protected and who doesn't?

#2 jjayg

jjayg

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

Whoever philly takes they are also required to take Justin Mapp as part of the deal. This is non-negotiable.

#3 tonyni

tonyni

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire!

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

I forgot what the rules of the expansion draft are. How many players are allowed to be protected? I think the gen Adidas players are auto-protected as well?

#4 Steve the Arsonist

Steve the Arsonist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Shef. Utd., Hbrg City Islndrs

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:21 PM

Considering salary, how do you figure out who to protect with with CBA up in the air? Does the cap go up the usual rate of inflation + a couple of % points, or is the year it gets a fairly (not over the top) bump?

Do you think Nowak thinks he can make Mapp reach his potential, or does he know better and stear clear of Justin?

#5 jjayg

jjayg

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:21 PM

I forgot what the rules of the expansion draft are. How many players are allowed to be protected? I think the gen Adidas players are auto-protected as well?

I think we get to protect 11. An expansion team can only select 1 from any one team. So basically we will lose one player out of the un-protected.

DP's and Gen Adidas players are automatically protected.

#6 Padre Joe

Padre Joe

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, Newcastle United

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

I think we get to protect 11. An expansion team can only select 1 from any one team. So basically we will lose one player out of the un-protected.

DP's and Gen Adidas players are automatically protected.

Are you sure about the DP being automatically protected? I thought we had to list Blanco last year.

I'm curious to see how they are going to do this with two teams next year. I would hate to lose two players next year to teams that are almost technically being "promoted".

#7 Eiki

Eiki

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

when is this draft going down?

#8 tonyni

tonyni

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

http://web.mlsnet.co...m...s&fext=.jsp

Just found the rules for last years draft, and if its the same, the DP is auto-protected, unless he has a no trade clause. odd exception there...

2008 MLS Expansion Draft Rules

Senior Roster
• Teams may protect 11 players between their Senior and their Developmental Roster.
• If the Player's contract expires at the end of 2008, he will still be considered part of the team's Senior Roster.
• If a team protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player's option. The team may renegotiate a new budget number for the player as in previous years.
• If a player retires, he will not be a part of the Senior Roster, but his team will lose its right of first refusal to him should he ultimately decide to play.

Developmental Roster
• Players on a team's Developmental Roster, other than Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2008 season, will be part of the expansion draft.
• Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2008 season are automatically protected (teams do not have to protect them).
• If Seattle Sounders FC select a Developmental Player they must offer him a Senior Roster position and he must be on Seattle's Senior Roster as of Roster Compliance Date.

International Players
• Teams are restricted in the number of international player(s) that they may make available per the table set forth below.
• For purposes of this expansion process, for U.S.-based teams, any non-domestic U.S. player would count as an International and for Toronto FC, any non-domestic U.S. player or non-domestic Canadian player would count as an International.

Designated Players
• Designated Players do not have to be protected unless the player has a no trade clause in which case he must be protected.

Maximum Player Loss
• Once a player has been claimed from a team's non-protected roster, that team is eliminated from the expansion draft and may not lose any further players.

http://en.wikipedia....ft#Chicago_Fire

and Wiki lists blanco under protected in last years draft, not exempt, so I guess he had a no trade clause (assuming wiki is correct).

#9 drgnsFIRE

drgnsFIRE

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

Are you sure about the DP being automatically protected? I thought we had to list Blanco last year.

I'm curious to see how they are going to do this with two teams next year. I would hate to lose two players next year to teams that are almost technically being "promoted".

Well, depending on how our offseason goes and who we sign, don't see us having many players at that point that anyone would be upset over leaving unprotected.

#10 tonyni

tonyni

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:42 PM

Well, depending on how our offseason goes and who we sign, don't see us having many players at that point that anyone would be upset over leaving unprotected.

Good point, and its also not like we have a DP to worry about whether he is protected or not at this point since Blanco is gone.

#11 firefan1998

firefan1998

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:47 PM

when is this draft going down?

wednesday nov. 25th. teams i believe are required to submit their protected list 1 or 2 days before the draft.

#12 tonyni

tonyni

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:54 PM

wednesday nov. 25th. teams i believe are required to submit their protected list 1 or 2 days before the draft.

splendid. The day before my company goes on break for Thanksgiving. Now I'll have a reason not to do any work that last day! :lol:

#13 jjayg

jjayg

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:18 PM

If he did it would have been because he had a no trade clause in his contract.

#14 WolfmanHasNards!

WolfmanHasNards!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

There will be no players left for Philly to choose from.

#15 firefan1998

firefan1998

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

teams have to submit their protected list today in the afternoon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users