159 replies to this topic

novaworm

novaworm

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull NY
ESPN reports Montreal announcement with discussions of MLS wanting second team in NY to make round 20 in the league.

ESPN MLS Expansion Article

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.
I want to see a franchise back in Miami, hoping the 20th goes there.

Mr Fish

Mr Fish

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
1) Owner
2) Stadium Plan

Then we'll see.

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

"Our attention is very focused on a 20th team as we speak. We'd like that team to be in New York City representing a second team in the tri-state area," Garber said. "The Red Bulls are very supportive of that and believe that rivalry will help grow the popularity of the sport in the New York metropolitan area. So we're going to work hard and try to get something done perhaps as early as 2013."

You've got to be kidding. A legitimate team located in NYC proper without the 15 years of suck baggage and without the Red Bull zero identity albatross would cripple Red Bull's soccer experiament here, especially if said expansion side had big money investors attached to it and the ability to land their own stars.

Why on earth would Red Bull want that here?
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,904 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I'm all for it, but as the fish says...

1) Owner
2) Stadium Plan

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

You've got to be kidding. A legitimate team located in NYC proper without the 15 years of suck baggage and without the Red Bull zero identity albatross would cripple Red Bull's soccer experiament here, especially if said expansion side had big money investors attached to it and the ability to land their own stars.

I don't know how to feel about it.... hard to see it not hurting RBNY

But I live in Brooklyn and I still think it's easier for me to get out to Harrison than it is to Citi Field in queens

Mr Fish

Mr Fish

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

I'm all for it, but as the fish says...

LOL. This is what I tell peeps from Atlanta that want a team. I add 3) soccer-friendly fan-base. We know we have that here. Not so much there.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,863 posts
as long as both teams mutually agree to kick anyone in the balls that calls it a 'super classico'

5 year plan

narthuro

narthuro

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

as long as both teams mutually agree to kick anyone in the balls that calls it a 'super classico'

Agreed. Let's call it the Continental Tire Old Firm instead.

/ducks

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

I don't know how to feel about it.... hard to see it not hurting RBNY

I agree, not only will they be locked in a battle for the few soccer fans in NYC that care enough about MLS to see a game but they will be fighting for attention in the marketplace with a team NY media will much more readily idetify with as a local side (think what NY media does to Nets and Devils coverage).

On top of that they no longer have the monopoly on siging players in NY where many players tend to want to come too because now there is a new shark in the water.

I just dont see any real positives for NYRB out of this. It will just marganize them as a NJ team and cement that perception (which is fine except RB claim to want the lucrative NY market) and make them have to swim even harder upstream for the attention of soccer fans in NYC region.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA

I don't understand the logic behind the Redbulls supporting another NY soccer team.......

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,863 posts
this could also be Garber putting the heat on other potential investors on the fence(dude that owns the Atlanta Falcons for example) to get their shit together.

The only way this would KILL RB is if the stadium was in Manhattan, which wont happen

5 year plan

Dave Martinez

Dave Martinez

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,107 posts
  • Supports:Soccer in New York

this could also be Garber putting the heat on other potential investors on the fence(dude that owns the Atlanta Falcons for example) to get their shit together.

The only way this would KILL RB is if the stadium was in Manhattan, which wont happen

I beg to differ my friend. A team in Queens would absolutely DESTROY attendance wise. The soccer community here is hungry for an MLS side. And if the Mets are that vehicle, believe me, the latino supporters of the Amazin's would hook in quicker than a striped bass on bunker if they decide to go onto this venture.

Ive lived in Queens my entire life, work with Latinos on a daily basis, and know this, as Harraby would say, to be FACT.

Faux Fur & Soccer Shirts

Faux Fur & Soccer Shirts

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:" I love me some me" - Terrell Owens
  • Supports:RedBull New York

I want to see a franchise back in Miami, hoping the 20th goes there.

The viability of a Miami team is one of my favorite MLS myths to hate.

devil500

devil500

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,633 posts
  • Interests:Engineering
  • Supports:Metro
Lets be honest here I think other cities deserve teams before NY gets another.

#RedBullOUT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users