spider

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, the idiot box, wear kilts, and beer
  • Supports:Galaxy (duh), USNT, and Arsenal

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

For those super-nerds out there, George R.R. Martin is coming to Pasadena next week for a signing.

While it's tempting to go get one of my hardback copies signed, I'd be far too likely to yell "Finish the next fucking book you ass!"

(Yes I know that in Oct., Martin's editor said that he only had 5 more chapters to go and in Dec. Martin said he's almost done but for fuck sake, we've been waiting a long damn time for this book)

#32 CALEXICO

CALEXICO

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Interests:Soccer. Fencing. Music. Film. Communication Theory.
  • Supports:LOS ANGELES GALAXY

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

While it's tempting to go get one of my hardback copies signed, I'd be far too likely to yell "Finish the next fucking book you ass!"

(Yes I know that in Oct., Martin's editor said that he only had 5 more chapters to go and in Dec. Martin said he's almost done but for fuck sake, we've been waiting a long damn time for this book)

The Amazon comments on "Dance With Dragons" is hilarious. The venom people have been spitting about the delays in the books is almost poetic.

I've heard that it's not uncommon for people to constantly ask about his health, making sure he doesn't "Pull a Jordan" on his fans and die before finishing.

#33 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

Just purchased the books from Amazon.

I've got friends here in NC who are already into it.

I'm going to grow a beard and invest in a good suit of chain mail for viewing parties.

you won't regret the read... unless this sumabitch dies... hopefully not.

where's martin signing? i too will go just to yell at him...only a little...

i posted a FB profile pick of the hound ... cause well... i'm a nerd... i can't wait for this shit. i'm almost done reading some side books then will re-read this series... can't wait to read it again.

fuck lost

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#34 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

RT @GameOfThrones: Game of Thrones premieres April 17, 2011 in the US, only on @HBO. #gameofthrones http://twitpic.com/3nx5nj

Very fucking exciting

#35 CALEXICO

CALEXICO

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

Oh snap!

Posted Image

#36 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

I'm about 1/3 done with the first book. Three things stand out in my mind:

- Before I even read the first chapter, I noticed that the author used "R.R." in his pen name (where have I seen that before?)
- There's a ton of similarities between the map in the book and England/Scotland
- There's a ton of romances goings on this book

First Impressions: Unlike "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" trilogy by J. "R.R." Tolkien (There it is again!), which was primarily a story of a quest , and had virtually no romance in them, these books were made for Hollywood.

I still plan on finishing the books, but I have a feeling that most followers of this HBO series are just looking for a more serious version of "Conan the Barbarian".

But who knows?

Now that Schwarzenegger is out of office, maybe he'll have time to do a cameo.

#37 CALEXICO

CALEXICO

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

- Before I even read the first chapter, I noticed that the author used "R.R." in his pen name (where have I seen that before?)
- There's a ton of similarities between the map in the book and England/Scotland

The continent, to a certain degree, is more like if you fused Great Britain to France and Spain. Dorne (the far south) is supposed to be hot, arid, deserty.

Keep reading. Trust me, I had no intention of getting sucked into these books, and after about 50% of the first book, I was just sorta "eh". But then some shit went down. Keep going.

#38 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

First Impressions: Unlike "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" trilogy by J. "R.R." Tolkien (There it is again!), which was primarily a story of a quest , and had virtually no romance in them, these books were made for Hollywood.

I still plan on finishing the books, but I have a feeling that most followers of this HBO series are just looking for a more serious version of "Conan the Barbarian".

But who knows?

Now that Schwarzenegger is out of office, maybe he'll have time to do a cameo.

yeah man. whatever you think is going to happen.... will not... whomever you think is a main character... is probably not...what started as predictable mind fucks you at some point... you may even get angry at the author

the wall does remind me of hadrian's wall

get used to a lot of fucking in the book. i spose that's romance. it's a lot of fucking fo sho though

#39 Legion Norge

Legion Norge

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy-USA

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

I hope he doesn't kick the bucket before he finishes the series........by the looks of it he probably will

.....nice guy though......
Posted Image

#40 Legion Norge

Legion Norge

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

PUPPIES!!!
Posted Image

#41 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

I hope he doesn't kick the bucket before he finishes the series........by the looks of it he probably will

.....nice guy though......
Posted Image

It would have to be a dirty old man who put all those sex scenes in the book. My sense is that he is a big fan of "Penthouse Letters"

#42 Matt The Samoan

Matt The Samoan

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Liverpool

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

Due to everyones excitement for this show I decided to pick up this book. I'm happy I did, I really enjoy it and now can't wait for the show. How do you all feel about the casting?

making sure he doesn't "Pull a Jordan" on his fans and die before finishing.

Having been reading the Wheel of Time books for the last fourteen years, I really really don't want this to happen. Thankfully WoT is one book away from finish, and Brandon Sanderson's writing doesn't feel too far off from Jordan's to make the books feel completely different.

#43 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

Due to everyones excitement for this show I decided to pick up this book. I'm happy I did, I really enjoy it and now can't wait for the show. How do you all feel about the casting?

Having been reading the Wheel of Time books for the last fourteen years, I really really don't want this to happen. Thankfully WoT is one book away from finish, and Brandon Sanderson's writing doesn't feel to far off from Jordan's to make the books feel completely different.

casting seems good to me so far...probably have to see how it plays out... keep reading the other books though... crazy shit goes down.

@ dirtydefender he would write nasty sex scenes wouldn't he? haha. he's probably the most like tyrion.

follow @gameofthrones on the twitter if you don't yet

#44 Legion Norge

Legion Norge

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

Having been reading the Wheel of Time books for the last fourteen years, I really really don't want this to happen. Thankfully WoT is one book away from finish, and Brandon Sanderson's writing doesn't feel too far off from Jordan's to make the books feel completely different.

so far I'm very happy with the casting, The only thing I am a little leery about is Mark Addy as King Robert.

#45 CALEXICO

CALEXICO

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

so far I'm very happy with the casting, The only thing I am a little leery about is Mark Addy as King Robert.

Why, if I may ask? You aren't alone, actually - a number of people have voiced concerns. I have a feeling the show won't take very long to show Roberts less appealing qualities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users