Photo

Farmers Field. Can it be a good move for LAG?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#31 31Charlie

31Charlie

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Supports:L.A. Galaxy

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:17 AM

The Samoan's and I made the trek down to Carson from the SFV consistently. They still go to every game, sucks for me being in AZ 9 months out of the year.

Obviously we are in the minority, and it shows to friends we try to bring out to games. Our friends who love going to games will usually only want to drive down a handful of times during the season because of how far it is. Honestly though, aside from paying for gas it ain't that bad. An hour and some change usually to get down there if you carpool. DTLA is a more centralized place, it'd be damn great for us SFV denizens. The drive from Long Beach and the like to DTLA can't be that bad, That's almost half the drive from the Valley, time wise. This could be great, because they've already picked up a dedicated demographic in Long Beach and the South Bay. If they can keep that audience and cater more to those living in the Valley and other Northern parts of LA they could have much larger attendance.

I welcome it so long as we're not playing on turf and we get an upgrade Front Office wise.

Im a huge Galaxy fan, but I make it to more Clipper games a season than I do Galaxy games. Its just so much easier to get to the Stapple Center, it takes about an hour (plus tickets are dirt cheap). To get to Carson we either have to take the 405 or the 110 and that can reach close to two hours from the SCV. Also I work in DTLA so it would be 1000% easier to make it to weekday games, just a five minute ride on the Dash and im there. So I am a little biased on this one.

What about the scheduling issue though? Isn't it possible to have the Kings, Lakers, Clippers, Galaxy, and Chargers(?) all playing games there at the same time. Obviously its in two different venues but two games going on at the same time would have to cause instant gridlock.

#32 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

Eh
I'll drive to Carson
I'll drive to DTLA

We love them... we love them we love them
And where they go we'll follow.

Unless its kinda far?
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#33 thesign777

thesign777

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Lakers, Angels, Ducks, Sol

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

It'll probably significantly cut down on the amount of games I make it to. From 8-12 a season + playoffs to maybe 1-3 a season + playoffs.

But I was already on the fringe living in South OC.
Let's go Lakers! Let's go Angels! Let's go Ducks! Let's go Galaxy! Let's go Sol!

#34 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Supports:LA/USA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

I would take the train from pasadena, which would be nice. downtown has some great places to get drunk before and after a match.

...ooooh ooooooooh we are the riot squad...

#35 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

It'll probably significantly cut down on the amount of games I make it to. From 8-12 a season + playoffs to maybe 1-3 a season + playoffs.

But I was already on the fringe living in South OC.

Haggis took the train from down yonder up to work in downtown LA most everyda, and I think he still does, despite moving up to Costa Mesa. Wouldn't that work for you too? I wonder when the last train departs for points south from DTLA though...if the last train leaves at 10pm, an 8pm kickoff is a nonstarter.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#36 L.A. Brigade

L.A. Brigade

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Boca Jrs, Man City, Celtic

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

Farmers Field would be great.

It's a simple matter of DTLA earning potentail vs. Carson earning potential. It's a no-brainer.

#37 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:25 PM

* As someone who got halfway thru an urban planning masters before giving up, I remember a few things. Getting in and out after games and traffic around downtown stadiums is often cited as negative. But typically, from what I learned about space use and what I've seen, suburban stadiums surrounded by large lots tend to be harder to get into and out of than central city stadiums with smaller dispersed lots AND an assortment of public transit options. First, with more transit, fewer people are driving themselves to the game. Being in the city core where there's likely more things to keep you there longer, the crowd dribbles out slower than the big suburban stadiums where people generally go to the game and after the final whistle leave to go elsewhere. Dispersed parking means more 'exits' and you don't get traffic funneled down select streets.

Typically the advantage of a downtown stadium is the fact that the majority of city residents live in the immediate area. That certainly isn't the case for LA. As others have stated, its hard to determine a centralized area in LA. However, having the Red, Blue and Gold lines all running into downtown has to be an advantage over Carson.

#38 Chalky

Chalky

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

The new Expo line is a few blocks from me in Culver City. When it finally starts running I will be very pro a Downtown stadium. I will be very anti the Expo line when they close down Venice to connect it to Santa Monica.

#39 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

- What will MLS be like in 5 years? Probably better and more respected but how much more?

I don't see the whole "35k average attendance" thing just because the stadium moves downtown.

Who lives close to downtown that will suddenly go who doesn't already?

If it's because MLS will be so much more awesome, I dunno.

EDIT: 2003 (Last year in Rose Bowl): 19,047
2006 average Galaxy attendance per Wikipedia: 20,814
2011 average Galaxy attendance thus far per Wiki: 23,051

Does anybody REALLY see that *average* going up 10,000 from a move? Even if you add Messi... he's hardly the star power to the average Joe that Beckham was.

And they just built the HDC specifically for the Galaxy. Farmer's is being built specifically for an NFL team. I'd rather keep them that way.

I r teh skeptic on this one.

#40 ABES

ABES

Reserve Team

• PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, Sex, Chicks, Cars, Money, Food.. listed in matter of importance
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy USMNT

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

Dublins Irish Pub... best in DTLA...30 plasma screens and 100's of $4 beers to choose from all day everyday.

#41 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

The new Expo line is a few blocks from me in Culver City. When it finally starts running I will be very pro a Downtown stadium. I will be very anti the Expo line when they close down Venice to connect it to Santa Monica.

I just looked at that line. It runs through some shitholes on the way to being a few blocks from you. Good luck with that.

#42 Chalky

Chalky

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

I just looked at that line. It runs through some shitholes on the way to being a few blocks from you. Good luck with that.

Come one. There's only been one murder ever on the Metro. Two if you count that terrible Tom Cruise Jamie Foxx movie.

Edit: 3. I forgot about Dennis Hopper in Speed.

#43 romero03

romero03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts
  • Supports:USMNT

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:32 PM

i believe construction on this just started this week, it is scheduled to be done by 2015. they say from santa monica to dtla would be about a 40 min ride.

on another note, haven't been able to get a response if the field will be grass or turf, but i would say more than likely it will be grass.
Twitter

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders, Galaxy, LA Kings, ASU, Notre Dame(football)

#44 El Cabezon

El Cabezon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

The metro option for many will save a good 15-20 bucks for parking. By 2016, you can bet that parking at Farmers will be closer to 30.00. That will be good for at least 1-2 beers(probably 1) in lieu of paying the parking extortion fee. Farmers Field is truly an appropriate name, but they should take it a step further and also toss in Harvester for good measure. "Harvester Hollows at Farmer Field".

Harvest is the process of gathering mature crops(Fan money) from the fields(Their pockets). Reaping(Extorting) is the cutting of grain or pulse for harvest, typically using a scythe(Ticket Scanner), sickle(Parking Fee), or reaper(Concession Stand).[1] The harvest(Shakedown) marks the end of the growing season, or the growing cycle for a particular crop(Fan Money), and this is the focus of seasonal celebrations of many religions(Capitalism). On smaller farms with minimal mechanization, harvesting is the most labor-intensive activity of the growing season. On large, mechanized farms(AEG Enterprises), harvesting utilizes the most expensive and sophisticated farm machinery(HDC/Famers Field/Nokia-Staples Center) , like the combine harvester. Harvesting in general usage includes an immediate post-harvest handling, all of the actions taken immediately after removing the crop(Fans Money)—cooling, sorting, cleaning, packing—up to the point of further on-farm processing, or shipping to the wholesale or consumer market(Making more Farms)

Lets face it, Phil Anschutz and Tim Liewicke are just gentlemen Farmers!

#45 dhines

dhines

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, USMNT, Cruz Azul, USC

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:14 PM

I don't see the whole "35k average attendance" thing just because the stadium moves downtown.

Who lives close to downtown that will suddenly go who doesn't already?

If it's because MLS will be so much more awesome, I dunno.

2006 average Galaxy attendance per Wikipedia: 20,814
2011 average Galaxy attendance thus far per Wiki: 23,051

Does anybody REALLY see that *average* going up 10,000 from a move? Even if you add Messi... he's hardly the star power to the average Joe that Beckham was.

And they just built the HDC specifically for the Galaxy. Farmer's is being built specifically for an NFL team. I'd rather keep them that way.

I r teh skeptic on this one.

agree with you on this . . . i still stand by what i said previously, unless the MLS is going to allow for 4-5 DP's per team, i don't see how the G's could get 35k in a downtown stadium. that said, i do think they would slowly work their way into that stadium. i could see all friendlies played there, in addition to 2 -3 regular season games.

over time as the MLS grows this would allow the G's to move into the stadium as the fan base necessitates it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users