66 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

to be honest, i think armas should run a back up squad in the next game. the team looks very tired or beat up in the last two games. i think fatigue is starting to kick there butt. 

Murillo needs another break for me, dude covers an insane amount of ground each game and looked a step slower than usual.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

used to be you needed to lose a semi-important game to get a thread like this.

TBH, overstatement has always been the weakness of the sports writer and sports fan. It has just been amplified by the internet and social media.
No player or team seems to ever have a bad play or an off day. It is The Worst Ever! This seems to be the only way to get attention. Fire The Coach or Trade The Player seem to be the only solutions.
The thought that a great player can score a goal, get a hit or make a basket appears impossible to the die-hard fan. The idea that a great player might miss a chance is equally inconceivable.
Someone Has Failed and Must Be Punished!
Prior to the internet, these thoughts had a brief shelf life. Many were unexpressed, or when expressed, it was only to a small audience, usually from a bar stool. The outbursts were quickly forgotten, or weakly acknowledged with a nod of the head. Now, they are published for all to see, apparently for all time.
Some Are Outraged! How Dare You Say That! You Suck!
Such is the current level of discourse.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

This is even better, used to be you needed to lose a semi-important game to get a thread like this. This is coming after a tie away from home against a red hot team where the player in question was only reasonably at fault for one goal.

I'd say he was at fault for two: lost the ball for the first and then ballwatched as Rooney beat him for the second. Bad day at the office, it happens. Parker's given away the ball a few times during the season on bad turnovers so it's not like it's the first one; it's definitely something I'm sure we'd all like him to clean up. But 1) if he wasn't making any of these mistakes, he woudln't be playing in this league and 2) we've seen worse very recently (DP last year, Collin this year), so some perspective is crucial. Careful what you wish for.

More generally, I've always thought "caring"/"wanting it more" is very overrated by fans/pundits. Sure, hustle/effort can definitely make a difference in individual plays and games overall. However, "he doesn't seem to care care" is often rationalizing a mistake/boneheaded play after the fact and not much else. And talent usually wins the day over hustle (yes, of course there are many exceptions).

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

TBH, overstatement has always been the weakness of the sports writer and sports fan. It has just been amplified by the internet and social media.
No player or team seems to ever have a bad play or an off day. It is The Worst Ever! This seems to be the only way to get attention. Fire The Coach or Trade The Player seem to be the only solutions.
The thought that a great player can score a goal, get a hit or make a basket appears impossible to the die-hard fan. The idea that a great player might miss a chance is equally inconceivable.
Someone Has Failed and Must Be Punished!
Prior to the internet, these thoughts had a brief shelf life. Many were unexpressed, or when expressed, it was only to a small audience, usually from a bar stool. The outbursts were quickly forgotten, or weakly acknowledged with a nod of the head. Now, they are published for all to see, apparently for all time.
Some Are Outraged! How Dare You Say That! You Suck!
Such is the current level of discourse.

Couldn't decide which meme to post for you.... 

e-mails.jpg

or

old.jpg

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
The latter.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

Boy I look stupid and have egg on my face. Parker had the game of his life today. Played balls out. I'm very proud of him. I apologize for my words over the last few weeks. Its just when we had a season ticket holder event this season. He came across as alouf and uncaring. That caused me to see red and to look at all the negatives instead of the positives. I want to put this thread to bed. I apologize to metrofanatic for my overly fanatic behavior.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
He lost a 1v1 that lead to a great chance for ATL today but other than that he was great.

If the team can play defensively like that every game of the playoffs we win MLS Cup no problem.

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

wicked elbow on martinez in the first half.  crowd loved it. 

Excellence Not Expectations

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Scared me, due to possible VAR. Shoulders & hips!

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

The saying defense wins championships is not bullshit. For all the talk about our offensive issues in recent seasons, the defense hadn't pulled it's weight either. Look at how much we were fucked once Perinelle did his knee in 2015. Let's keep these shutouts rolling we'll be good to go for the rest of the season if we continue to hold string in the back and frustrate our opponents. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We're the best defense in the league - no doubt about it. Right now we're the best goals against per game and tie KC for the most shutouts.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

The saying defense wins championships is not bullshit.

Amen. But its not just about the back line (which is SIGNIFICANTLY better than years past). The whole team needs to commit to the cleansheet. Do that and we win the cup easy.

Just look at today. Rzatkowski White Kaku Muyl Royer running their asses off closing down space and making tackles. I was crying. It was beautiful.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

The problem is that team is a bunch of divers and whiners. They cry wolf too often so It makes it hard to be sympathetic when there actually is good cause.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Amen. But its not just about the back line (which is SIGNIFICANTLY better than years past). The whole team needs to commit to the cleansheet. Do that and we win the cup easy.

Just look at today. Rzatkowski White Kaku Muyl Royer running their asses off closing down space and making tackles. I was crying. It was beautiful.

Don't disagree with the team commitment premise, but "we win the cup easy" there makes me wince preemptively.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i don't wanna jinx shit. 

might as well talk to a pitcher during his attempt at a no-hitter. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users