1359 replies to this topic

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

Mattocks is a very stereotypical jamaican player. He depends on freak speed and athleticism, but has no soccer brain. He is good in Fifa games, but in MLS really only as a sub against tired defenses, as he doesn't k now how to play build-up offense. 

Hm. Reminds me of someone we knew while here was here, and subsequently got better before he left, and now we wish he was still here.

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Hm. Reminds me of someone we knew while here was here, and subsequently got better before he left, and now we wish he was still here.

We didn't win the whole enchilada with him. DVDB wasn't known for his speed, but he had an excellent soccer brain and knew how to maximize life on the wing.

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

We didn't win the whole enchilada with him. DVDB wasn't known for his speed, but he had an excellent soccer brain and knew how to maximize life on the wing.

Actually, I was referring to Dane Richards. But as usual, you are very much on target with that assessment.

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Actually, I was referring to Dane Richards. But as usual, you are very much on target with that assessment.

I know you were referring to Dane. Just pointing out that speed alone rarely adds as much as great soccer instincts. Obviously if you can get both in the same package you are in heaven.

kawandinho

kawandinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  • Interests:big hips ... a wide backsides
  • Supports:NYRedbulls Milan

Mattocks is a very stereotypical jamaican player. He depends on freak speed and athleticism, but has no soccer brain. He is good in Fifa games, but in MLS really only as a sub against tired defenses, as he doesn't k now how to play build-up offense. 

Your assessment is incorrect.. Mattocks does not rely on speed to do damage..Judging from his on form days in college and his first year in MLS  it is clearly noticeable that he scores most of his goals due to great positioning and timing off the ball aka taps ins Inzagi style .   He is now in poor form due to whatever reason .. comment was a bit hard and not well thought out.  question ..how many Jamaican players do you know except for Dane Richards ?  not all Jamaicans are fast btw dude 

Lets see based on my knowledge of Jamaicans i saw in MLS ..

Andy Williams - slow  player who excelled at attacking mid due to his excellent passing and ability to control the middle of the park

Damani Ralph .. big strong slow poke who used his size to his advantage 

Lovell palmer - slow average player 

Jermaine Taylor .. slow Decent MLS level Defender 

Wolde Harris who played for Miami way back -- was also a slow player who  used size to his advantage 

Ryan Johnson also has average speed, very tall and good in the air .. powerful left foot shot 

i can go on and on but i think the point is made.  :cheers:

sigh, who to blame? who to blame? oh BACKE seems ideal .
Carbonero-Enzo-Jroke = Father-Son-Holy Ghost - three in one the god hater.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I know you were referring to Dane. Just pointing out that speed alone rarely adds as much as great soccer instincts. Obviously if you can get both in the same package you are in heaven.

So true - the analogy is Cahill in the air.  Not the tallest or strongest, but his instincts/intelligence make him great.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Jamaican players I see on a regular basis...

Simeon Jackson

Omar Cummings

Dane RIchards

Darren Mattocks

And when I say "stereotypical" I don't mean necessarily they all play this way, but rather that is the stereotype about them. And it isn't just speed with Mattocks it is leaping ability. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC

No Mattocks for me. Yes, the guy does have speed & skill, but personality wise a bit of a problem. 

A coach could easily sacrifice a lot chasing the dream of getting the best out of Mattocks. Petke/Roxborough seem to realize the blend of hard working MLSers with a bit of experience and skill can work (Alexander, Steele, Barklage). We do not need "projects".

Then again, if we're looking for a leftwing with speed & magic, might take a look at the enigmatic Jackson of Dallas FC. The guy can go from dazzling to anonymous in one game.  :D

32panels

32panels

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

I like Mattocks, although I didn't watch him this year.  He has a lot of potential, great speed, nice shooting, amazing vertical leap.  Clearly something has been a problem for him in his second year, because Vancouver was all about him succeeding at the beginning of the season and it didn't work out.  I would take a shot on a player like that to see if he could work better in our set up.  At the very least, he stretches the field and is always a threat to the opposing back line.  Plus, since we're playing in the CCL next year, a super speedy Jamaican could really help us against Concacaf competition in Central America.

If Dane Richards is available to come back also, that could really give this team a different weapon to pull out from time to time.

Van den Bergh came out of the Ajax academy, was on the for the first team, and after he left played in the Netherlands for a bit -- so his tactical and technical skills were drilled into him from a young age.  He was all about playing smart and knowing where to find the ball, for example rebounds off the goalkeeper in the box, where to be in case the opportunity to tap it in presents itself, a run following up on the play.  If I remember correctly, that's how we ended up beating RSL in their place back in 2008.  He was also a great provider for Angel.  His game wasn't about turning a defender from the outside, but rather having really good tactical experience/knowledge/awareness.  VDB is the kind of guy we should bring in to head our youth academy, to teach our young players to play smart and bring over some of that Ajax perspective.

These FCD players are really intriguing, especially because it's like a fire sale at that franchise.  Depends upon the price of these guys.  I think Jackson, Lloyd, Michel, Andrew Jacobsen, and Kenny Cooper could be interesting.  Ferreira has faded after his ankle break.  Ihemelu was done in by concussions.  Nunez could be interesting also, he was good a few years back, don't have any clue what's up with him now.  Keel, we know that guy's a great value CB, if there is space on the roster.

32panels

32panels

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

So true - the analogy is Cahill in the air.  Not the tallest or strongest, but his instincts/intelligence make him great.

Cahill's timing in the air is unbelievable.  Courage helps also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users