31 replies to this topic

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,483 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
We have to remember that the reason we don't have a hybrid or reserve team further out (Poconos, NY State, Central Jersey, etc...) is to ensure our younger guys are training regularly with the first team. For Red Bull, that's worth the investment and sunk costs into MSU to ensure D2 status, as we continue to produce players for the first team by giving them close to first team experiences and competition. We sure as hell aren't profitable with the business side of it, but bringing an Adams or Long through makes it worth it. How much of that drops in a D3, or all MLS reserve league?
2013, 2015 and 2018 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

redredred

redredred

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Supports:metro
Didnt Seattle just rebrand 2nd team from S2 to Tacoma? Would assume they are still training together? Would think thats a possibility?

Olesh

Olesh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars Black

We have to remember that the reason we don't have a hybrid or reserve team further out (Poconos, NY State, Central Jersey, etc...) is to ensure our younger guys are training regularly with the first team. For Red Bull, that's worth the investment and sunk costs into MSU to ensure D2 status, as we continue to produce players for the first team by giving them close to first team experiences and competition. We sure as hell aren't profitable with the business side of it, but bringing an Adams or Long through makes it worth it. How much of that drops in a D3, or all MLS reserve league?

This feels like a false argument. How much training do they really lose if you bus the guys out from East Hanover to Poughkeepsie or Binghamton or wherever for game days? For god's sake, the entire pro indoor lacrosse league used to be based in Toronto, where players would practice M-F, and then fly the teams out to represent their respective cities for games each weekend. It seems like affiliating would be a minor inconvenience to ensure the developmental competition remains as high as possible. But that assumes any outside investors would actually be interested. We've seen how successful Red Bull has historically been securing outside partnerships.

Creating essentially an MLS reserve league completely waters it all down. It's a lot easier to determine Aaron Long has what it takes playing in a packed, hostile stadium in Louisville, rather than in front of friends and family in the Foxborough parking lot. And any independent teams in this mythical (3rd?) division will likely be severely underfunded and/or disorganized, leading to lots of bunker ball, chippy play, and 8-1 blowouts to look forward to.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

This feels like a false argument. How much training do they really lose if you bus the guys out from East Hanover to Poughkeepsie or Binghamton or wherever for game days? For god's sake, the entire pro indoor lacrosse league used to be based in Toronto, where players would practice M-F, and then fly the teams out to represent their respective cities for games each weekend. It seems like affiliating would be a minor inconvenience to ensure the developmental competition remains as high as possible. But that assumes any outside investors would actually be interested. We've seen how successful Red Bull has historically been securing outside partnerships.

Creating essentially an MLS reserve league completely waters it all down. It's a lot easier to determine Aaron Long has what it takes playing in a packed, hostile stadium in Louisville, rather than in front of friends and family in the Foxborough parking lot. And any independent teams in this mythical (3rd?) division will likely be severely underfunded and/or disorganized, leading to lots of bunker ball, chippy play, and 8-1 blowouts to look forward to.

playing at training facility i think is mainly so that first team coaches can watch all the games easier.  They literally just have to shuffle a couple steps from there office to see the games live.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,836 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

the entire pro indoor lacrosse league used to be based in Toronto, where players would ... fly ... out to represent their respective cities for games each weekend.

Interesting! I never knew this!

Creating essentially an MLS reserve league completely waters it all down. It's a lot easier to determine Aaron Long has what it takes playing in a packed, hostile stadium in Louisville

Are some independent opponents upset at being beaten by MLS reserve squads? Do they want RBII out?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2
A big loss with all reserve teams is the fact that there is such a different problem to solve each week.

With Lou city / Tampa its grown men against 19 year olds
So they learn how to grind and fight I think a lot of that gets lost if they play reserve teams every week. The organization needs to find a way to keep them training with the first team week in week out and playing in the USLC.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2

Interesting! I never knew this!

Are some independent opponents upset at being beaten by MLS reserve squads? Do they want RBII out?

My guess is they love the level of ability we have and the story they can spin with long / Adams the whole path to pros thing theyve got fits in perfect.

They dont like our 500 person attdance and probably the name RB2.

One of those can be solved and unless we move they team to Coney Island / Columbia I dont see it possible to keep the team training as an entire unit. Imagine Brooklyn Red Bull playing somewhere? I imagine attdance would go up and the league might be happier with the name. But then were back to playing on random field.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,836 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

They dont like our 500 person attdance and probably the name RBII ... move the team to Coney Island ... Imagine Brooklyn Red Bull.

At MCU Park, home of the Brooklyn Cyclones?
Cosmos briefly played there; pro rugby team currently:
https://www.rugbyuni...rk-our-stadium/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,287 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Can't recall if there are any 5k-seater plus stadiums in the 5 boroughs. Obv Yankee Stadium and CitiField. Belson is under 3k, Columbia's soccer field is small. Randall's Island is near impossible to get to. Columbia's FB stadium is 25k+ but it's got a running track around it, and it's narrow, iirc. How big is Fordham's on-campus stadium? 5k? 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Part of it has to be that some MLS 2 teams are just completely shitting the bed out there each and every week. Not all of them are as good as we are, some of them are just completely awful competitively. You can't just group them all together and move them all down a level. It will defeat the purpose of the USL/MLS relationship. If it becomes an MLS reserve/u-19 league, it could've been done a long time ago without USL. Reason it wasn't is cause it doesn't serve the needs of player development. 

There's like 40 fucking USL teams, they can afford to have a few MLS 2 teams in it that don't draw as well as the standalone USL teams. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,618 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, US, Russia
Bring back the MLS Reserve League!

Not

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts
The 2 teams brought needed stability to the league. However, they draw flies, cause debate with shuffling of players (I think Tacoma was half MLS starters for a game this year), and give things an MiLB feel.

USL1 is still professional, just smaller markets. If pro/rel happens, it could provide a path back to USLC for 2 teams that really wanted it I guess.

Put it simply, RB2 playing before 500 fans and training with the first team regularly does nothing to grow USL. It is advantageous to RBNY and only RBNY. USL is not affiliated or a subsidiary of MLS and has its own interest to protect.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,287 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

yeah, so a way out for the team could be the independent operator route. have all the 1st team fringe guys play for that team in USLC, with all the guys brought in to be reclamation projects or players who had never played for any RBNY team. "RB2" in USL1 would best be U23 stalwarts, former academy players and current academy guys. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts
The hybrid thing is feasible. I don't really blame low attendance on 2 teams that play close to their MLS counterpart. I mean, RB does almost nothing to market or sell tickets but even if they did, why would you go? A few extra bucks gets you in RBA for an MLS match. But the MLS organization wants the 2 team nearby for development purposes as well as recalls, so it's tough to fix.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,483 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
RB2 has a hard time giving tickets away.
I paid $87 total for season tickets for my son and I, which included a couple magnets, seat cushions and scarves. If I went to all the matches, I would spend more in just parking than the tickets for the two of us.

I mentioned in the past that the hybrid model I'd love to see is with FC Motown, who play at Drew University although they have had a few players move up and may be compensated for it (RJ Allen, Dilly Duka, etc...)
2013, 2015 and 2018 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users