673 replies to this topic

tynian16

tynian16

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Article stating that Miazga turned down a contract extension with the Red Bulls...

http://sports.yahoo....tons&soc_trk=tw

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Article stating that Miazga turned down a contract extension with the Red Bulls...

http://sports.yahoo....tons&soc_trk=tw

That's different than what I understood from the last round of Miazga news - I thought we already had him locked in for 2016, and exercised an option for 2017.   This sucks.    Keep him for the year, or get nothing for him... ouch.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

That's different than what I understood from the last round of Miazga news - I thought we already had him locked in for 2016, and exercised an option for 2017.   This sucks.    Keep him for the year, or get nothing for him... ouch.

I don't understand why he would turn it down. He is staying this year no matter what so he may as well earn X more than his current contract. If he has a productive year in 2016 teams will still want to sign him, he may as well take the extra cash this year and move off to Europe next year as planned. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

I don't understand why he would turn it down. He is staying this year no matter what so he may as well earn X more than his current contract. If he has a productive year in 2016 teams will still want to sign him, he may as well take the extra cash this year and move off to Europe next year as planned. 

Because the higher pay we offered was dependent on him signing a contract extension, keeping him from going to Europe next year (or at least keeping him from going unless we agree to sell him).

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Umm, it's always better to be a free agent, both for more money and a choice of destination. If he's under contract, teams need to pay a fee, and often only the highest bidder's offer would be accepted by MLS/RB. If he's a free agent, teams just get him for 0 and can give him some/a lot of what would have been a transfer fee as a signing fee or a higher salary, and he can pick a destination himself from multiple offers.

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts

Because the higher pay we offered was dependent on him signing a contract extension, keeping him from going to Europe next year (or at least keeping him from going unless we agree to sell him).

Right I get that, I just don't think RB would hold him hostage, I think they would take the money and run...to the bank.  

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Yeah, the EOS article said 2017 was a club option (which would obviously be picked up, duh). This is bad news.

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts

Umm, it's always better to be a free agent, both for more money and a choice of destination. If he's under contract, teams need to pay a fee, and often only the highest bidder's offer would be accepted by MLS/RB. If he's a free agent, teams just get him for 0 and can give him some/a lot of what would have been a transfer fee as a signing fee or a higher salary, and he can pick a destination himself from multiple offers.

I don't think teams in Europe will shy away from paying a fee for Miazga. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

Right I get that, I just don't think RB would hold him hostage, I think they would take the money and run...to the bank.  

Still, if you are Miazga, why take that chance?  Why give RB the  control?  To get an extra hundred thousand this year?    That will be chump change compared to what he will get over there.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
Clearly, Miazga does not want to stay, so let's get as much money for him as we can, while we can.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

Clearly, Miazga does not want to stay, so let's get as much money for him as we can, while we can.

...and get his replacement in before the start of camp

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Next man up.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

tynian16

tynian16

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I can't blame someone for wanting to prove himself in higher level leagues.  You just hope he has the right advisers and is willing to give everything that it will take to bust into a starting lineup overseas.  

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

I don't think teams in Europe will shy away from paying a fee for Miazga. 

Doesn't really matter for the European teams although they will save some money. It definitely matters for Matt.

Let's say his transfer fee ends up being $5M, which is a conservative estimate imo. Tim Ream's was 2.5M pounds, and Matt will be better and still much younger next year, not to mention the fee inflation in the years since.

If Matt's under contract, he gets a higher salary at RB for 1 year (1M tops as a DP? probably less), Euro team pays 5M, RB receives 5M.

If Matt's a free agent, he gets 2.5M signing-on fee, Euro team pays 2.5M to Matt (saving 2.5M in the process), RB gets 0.

Numbers out of my ass, obviously. But If you're Matt, there's a clear decision if you care about money and want to play in Europe in 1 year or sooner, both  pretty normal aspirations.

And again, he could entertain multiple offers, while RB/MLS could conceivably accept a single offer at, e.g. 5.1M and restrict him to going to that one team.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

Doesn't really matter for the European teams although they will save some money. It definitely matters for Matt.

Let's say his transfer fee ends up being $5M, which is a conservative estimate imo. Tim Ream's was 2.5M pounds, and Matt will be better and still much younger next year, not to mention the fee inflation in the years since.

If Matt's under contract, he gets a higher salary at RB for 1 year (1M tops as a DP? probably less), Euro team pays 5M, RB receives 5M.

If Matt's a free agent, he gets 2.5M signing-on fee, Euro team pays 2.5M to Matt (saving 2.5M in the process), RB gets 0.

Numbers out of my ass, obviously. But If you're Matt, there's a clear decision if you care about money and want to play in Europe in 1 year or sooner, both  pretty normal aspirations.

And again, he could entertain multiple offers, while RB/MLS could conceivably accept a single offer at, e.g. 5.1M and restrict him to going to that one team.

Red Bull doesn't receive $5M.  The league takes most of it, and what we get back has restrictions on how it can be spent.    But the logic is the same.  

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users