673 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Hanging on to a young, borderline DP quality American player who is looking for a raise... isn't this EXACTLY what the Targeted Allocation Money is for? If we're not using it in this scenario, then what the hell are we doing with it?

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Hanging on to a young, borderline DP quality American player who is looking for a raise... isn't this EXACTLY what the Targeted Allocation Money is for? If we're not using it in this scenario, then what the hell are we doing with it?

Ali needs new pants.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT
That article also highlights what a smart move the Oyongo deal was.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts

Actually now that I think about it more, if Miazga is basically telling the club that he's out of here at the end of 2016 no matter what, why would he expect a raise?

tynian16

tynian16

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Not sure how it's Curtis' fault if Miazga wants out no matter what...

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Red Bull doesn't receive $5M.  The league takes most of it, and what we get back has restrictions on how it can be spent.    But the logic is the same.  

We don't get all of it in TAM? This isn't exactly detailed... calvinball. But yeah, the main point stands - definitely better for both the eventual buyer and Matt if Matt is a free agent, at the expense of RB/MLS, obviously.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Actually now that I think about it more, if Miazga is basically telling the club that he's out of here at the end of 2016 no matter what, why would he expect a raise?

He doesn't - he turned it down. Possibly/probably paves his way out of the club sooner than the end of 2016 so that we/MLS get something while he's under contract.

And "borderline DP" money might be less than what he expects to get abroad, i.e. a salary of 0.5-1M/yr might not be enough to keep him around. Any more than probably wouldn't be smart to give to him anyway.

RBAlbany

RBAlbany

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Interests:Coaching Soccer
  • Supports:Red Bulls, USA

Don't see where it says he wants to leave.  Looks to me like he is just keeping his options open.  If we really want him to stay next year just offer what others are offering.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts

He doesn't - he turned it down. Possibly/probably paves his way out of the club sooner than the end of 2016 so that we/MLS get something while he's under contract.

And "borderline DP" money might be less than what he expects to get abroad, i.e. a salary of 0.5-1M/yr might not be enough to keep him around. Any more than probably wouldn't be smart to give to him anyway.

Yeah I'm just going by the reports that he was asking RB for $500k. Why even ask if you tell the club you're leaving anyway?

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

...and get his replacement in before the start of camp

2 replacements.  Can't count on Perri's health and I'm not a huge fan of Zubar.

We need to lock up 2 talented young CB's to long term contracts so we can shore up the future of this defense.

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

We don't get all of it in TAM? This isn't exactly detailed... calvinball. But yeah, the main point stands - definitely better for both the eventual buyer and Matt if Matt is a free agent, at the expense of RB/MLS, obviously.

I've given up following the nuances of the MLS "rule book" for this exact reason but I think Scouse was talking about the fee you mentioned. The league takes a large portion of transfer fee's since they own the players contract. We sold Jozy for $10M and got a measly 600k out of it. I think it has gotten better since then but MLS still takes the majority of transfer fees. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Yeah I'm just going by the reports that he was asking RB for $500k. Why even ask if you tell the club you're leaving anyway?

Ah, that's what you were referring to. Well, if he were happy with 500k/yr for 2 years (which would mean almost certainly mean leaving for a fee at the end of '16), I'd say that's a decent compromise for both sides. He gets a significant bump for 1 year, RB gets a fee still.

If he stays on current salary, he's on 100k a year, and RB gets a reduced fee in the summer  (contract expiring soon) or 0 at the end of the year... possibly lose-lose for both sides, not to mention tension because of failed negotiations and no one getting what they wanted.

If those reports are true, maybe RB balked at 500k and only offered only 200-300k tops.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

I've given up following the nuances of the MLS "rule book" for this exact reason but I think Scouse was talking about the fee you mentioned. The league takes a large portion of transfer fee's since they own the players contract. We sold Jozy for $10M and got a measly 600k out of it. I think it has gotten better since then but MLS still takes the majority of transfer fees. 

Did not know that. Anything less than a 50-50 split seems crazily skewed in favor of the league. 6% is... wow.

mkbloodyen

mkbloodyen

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Supports:Metro SC

I think we get more because he's an academy product. 75% to us/25% league Of our 75%, up to 650K turns into Garberbucks.

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

Leverage.

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users