87 replies to this topic

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

It's been about 6 months since Thelwell took over, and I understand there is a pandemic going on as well, but still, this is true for every team, many of which improved. It's a bit disappointing he hasn't helped the team thus far. Let go of Sims when we have too few good options in attacking third. Didn't get any serious player. I mean it was good to get some MLS quality players like Pendant instead of Seagrist, but we lost Murillo, Lawrence, Sims (that one under his watch), there are no forwards, no bench. There are a lot holes to plug. So far, I just don't see him making any difference for the better: if anything he only made things worse by letting Sims go. Overall disappointing so far. When will he get to work?

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

It's been about 6 months since Thelwell took over, and I understand there is a pandemic going on as well, but still, this is true for every team, many of which improved. It's a bit disappointing he hasn't helped the team thus far. Let go of Sims when we have too few good options in attacking third. Didn't get any serious player. I mean it was good to get some MLS quality players like Pendant instead of Seagrist, but we lost Murillo, Lawrence, Sims (that one under his watch), there are no forwards, no bench. There are a lot holes to plug. So far, I just don't see him making any difference for the better: if anything he only made things worse by letting Sims go. Overall disappointing so far. When will he get to work?

We lost Murillo and Lawrence who were trash in 2019, and Sims played in all of 10 games for us. I get the impression Sims wanted out and we accommodated him. It may be lost potential but he didnt make a real contribution in his brief time here. Those three may have been MLS starters, but they werent contributors to this team last year. I will cut Thelwell more slack than you: he wasnt hired until February and within five weeks the season was halted and he was stuck in England. There hasnt been very much signing going on between March and now. Its a wasted year, get used to it.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The team had also played a total of two actual games up until like 2 weeks ago. He has to know what he's actually working with before he can decide what the team's priorities should be. Unless you want him to blindly trust Hamlett's assessment, which I sure as fuck don't. 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

We lost Murillo and Lawrence who were trash in 2019, and Sims played in all of 10 games for us. I get the impression Sims wanted out and we accommodated him. It may be lost potential but he didnt make a real contribution in his brief time here. Those three may have been MLS starters, but they werent contributors to this team last year. I will cut Thelwell more slack than you: he wasnt hired until February and within five weeks the season was halted and he was stuck in England. There hasnt been very much signing going on between March and now. Its a wasted year, get used to it.

I would have to disagree on multiple fronts. First, Lawrence was not trash. He was the lone all star on the roster, and we lost that all star. Secondly, while Sims played only 10 games, he played well, brought speed and quick decision making. I could observe a significant drop off in team's play when he was injured in play-offs. We could have certainly used someone with his speed and ability during MLS is Back tourney. Finally, I do not want to accept this is a wasted year. It really didn't have to be if we paid a bit more to Lawrence to stay, kept Sims, and maybe make another couple of moves in August. We still can make a few moves now to make this a much better year, but Thelwell needs to get to work and add talent instead of letting the little we already have go.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

I would have to disagree on multiple fronts. First, Lawrence was not trash. He was the lone all star on the roster, and we lost that all star. Secondly, while Sims played only 10 games, he played well, brought speed and quick decision making. I could observe a significant drop off in team's play when he was injured in play-offs. We could have certainly used someone with his speed and ability during MLS is Back tourney. Finally, I do not want to accept this is a wasted year. It really didn't have to be if we paid a bit more to Lawrence to stay, kept Sims, and maybe make another couple of moves in August. We still can make a few moves now to make this a much better year, but Thelwell needs to get to work and add talent instead of letting the little we already have go.

Lawrence played at an all-star caliber level in 2019? Not from what I saw. Plus he was embittered. Sometimes you have to cut bait. Murillo was a similar situation. Again, unless its total BS, I think Sims preferred to leave. Great potential, didnt work out. Casualty of the pandemic. You dont have to accept this as a wasted season but with Armas and this roster, it is. 6th in the East last year. We cannot replicate that with this poorer roster. 2020 is not a normal year. I can see a signing or two, but its almost August. We arent going from worst to first.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Lawrence played at an all-star caliber level in 2019? Not from what I saw. Plus he was embittered. Sometimes you have to cut bait. Murillo was a similar situation. Again, unless its total BS, I think Sims preferred to leave. Great potential, didnt work out. Casualty of the pandemic. You dont have to accept this as a wasted season but with Armas and this roster, it is. 6th in the East last year. We cannot replicate that with this poorer roster. 2020 is not a normal year. I can see a signing or two, but its almost August. We arent going from worst to first.

Your assessment of Lawrence may be different from me and these who select all star rosters, but he was  in fact selected an all star, so I just don't think calling him trash is appropriate. As far as Sims, again I understand why Sims would want to come back to England. Surely he wanted to be with his family, but the same is true for every international player, so I don't want to rely too heavily on this excuse. More likely he didn't want to be a back-up to Valot in MLS. But make no mistake, RB/Thelwell had an option, and it's their responsibility to put the best team out there first and foremost, even if some players high profile want to be starters, who are currently not. 

Looking at the MLS tournament just now, we sorely missed Sims speed, passing, and dribbling ability. I really feel with Sims on the roster we would be advancing to next round even with otherwise subpar talent and poor coaching. I know I am not in GM shoes, but paying Lawrence a bit more and picking up Sims' option, even with him not happy to be a sub for now, would really help this team. Now, I get the excuse that there was pandemic. However, take a look at number of moves involving MLS players since Feb: https://en.wikipedia..._transfers_2020 . Pretty decent amount. I just don't want to use that as an excuse, when the biggest move Kevin made was to let go of Sims to make us worse.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

The team had also played a total of two actual games up until like 2 weeks ago. He has to know what he's actually working with before he can decide what the team's priorities should be. Unless you want him to blindly trust Hamlett's assessment, which I sure as fuck don't. 

That's a solid point, though I am hoping some assessment could be made by watching footage of last year. I mean why release Sims if you haven't assessed him yet and all the data indicates he is good? Or how much assessment is needed to understand we need impact DPs here? Or good strikers? I hope you are right though and now that that he saw the level of talent there will be major changes in August. I am not ready to give up on the season just yet. A couple of good DPs and some decent MLS  players can change things around this year.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

That's a solid point, though I am hoping some assessment could be made by watching footage of last year. I mean why release Sims if you haven't assessed him yet and all the data indicates he is good? Or how much assessment is needed to understand we need impact DPs here? Or good strikers? I hope you are right though and now that that he saw the level of talent there will be major changes in August. I am not ready to give up on the season just yet. A couple of good DPs and some decent MLS  players can change things around this year.

Dude, he was probably released because it's a pandemic and he's in a foreign country where there are massive outbreaks. It was almost certainly at Sims' request to leave. 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Dude, he was probably released because it's a pandemic and he's in a foreign country where there are massive outbreaks. It was almost certainly at Sims' request to leave. 

Enough of this nonsense. Should every foreign player be released and sent back from the country with massive outbreaks? Every single one? Give me a break, let's be a bit more logical please.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

Excellent PR in picking up somones option who is 1000 miles from home during worst crisis in decades just so to help you bench.

Football manager is calling.  

BTW - I was a big Sims fan and he is force multiplier as having to deal with him gives everyone else more space and time.  

one significant problem is the maskless wearing hoardes fueling this pandemic likely damper players leaving ole blightly for greener pastuers.  But do agree Theiwell needs to be active and add like 3 DPs for whatever season we may may not have

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Enough of this nonsense. Should every foreign player be released and sent back from the country with massive outbreaks? Every single one? Give me a break, let's be a bit more logical please.

No, just the one who was on a short term contract and was likely playing in a league below his level anyway. You realize players (outside of MLS) also need to agree to contract terms, don't you?

You keep banging on about Taxi, Murillo and Sims when it is apparent to anyone paying attention that none of them wanted to be here anymore. It's very tiresome. They are gone. Move on.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

He was on a loan that needed to be renewed in the summer. It's categorically different than if, say, David Jensen, who is fully under contract, demanded his release. What good would keeping a pissed off player against his wishes do for us for another few months? Do you think we'd get productive play from him? Do you think that would be good for our relationship with Southampton? Do you think that would be helpful when recruiting players going forward? 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Excellent PR in picking up somones option who is 1000 miles from home during worst crisis in decades just so to help you bench.

Football manager is calling.  

BTW - I was a big Sims fan and he is force multiplier as having to deal with him gives everyone else more space and time.  

one significant problem is the maskless wearing hoardes fueling this pandemic likely damper players leaving ole blightly for greener pastuers.  But do agree Theiwell needs to be active and add like 3 DPs for whatever season we may may not have

Stop using the crisis as an excuse for bad moves. I understand this BS excuses from FO, you don't have buy this garbage here. Egbe, Pendant, Jensen all got here during pandemic. Yet Sims cannot stay because or "worse crisis". This is just illogical, as simple as that.

The truth is, the tournament clearly showed we missed this guy a lot, in particular speed, dribbling, quick decision making. We needed to score just one more goal to advance to the next round, it was very close. Bad mistake for letting him go, and I don't want to hear excuse how he needed to be with his family in UK, when we actually GOT more foreign players during pandemic, and they did not need to be with their families apparently.

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Everyone, stop! You have to be more logical! Please!

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

He was on a loan that needed to be renewed in the summer. It's categorically different than if, say, David Jensen, who is fully under contract, demanded his release. What good would keeping a pissed off player against his wishes do for us for another few months? Do you think we'd get productive play from him? Do you think that would be good for our relationship with Southampton? Do you think that would be helpful when recruiting players going forward? 

You are assuming a heck of a lot here. I heard the same lame excuses of what precedent would it set if we don't let good talent go. And's the result? We don't have good talent, that's the result. How would you possibly know that Sims would play bad. He is a professional under contract. Loan or not, it's a contract, and it had RB option to renew. Would he PREFER to go home. Yeah. But to say he would suck, set bad precedent, etc, just for us renewing the loan that was in agreed upon contract is a huge stretch, which quite frankly stinks of being FO apologist for a move that turned out to be pretty bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users