33 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

One very disturbing thing about that mindset everyone seems to be missing: it means that the new regime considers the level of play in MLS to be complete garbage and all they need to do is bring in guys from the dregs of European soccer and they'll walk in and wipe the floor with everyone. If you don't spend for actual legit players in today's MLS you will never be anything but a bottom feeder who only exists to make up the numbers.

I'm not sure where you got that from, but they had to see what happened with Tetteh and Yearwood and Pendant.  Especially Tetteh, a guy they know well and can't blame his failure on bad scouting.   Hans Gruber and Thelwell are smart, experienced guys, unlike HamSandwich and Armas, and we have every reason to believe they will learn and adjust quickly.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

One very disturbing thing about that mindset everyone seems to be missing: it means that the new regime considers the level of play in MLS to be complete garbage and all they need to do is bring in guys from the dregs of European soccer and they'll walk in and wipe the floor with everyone. If you don't spend for actual legit players in today's MLS you will never be anything but a bottom feeder who only exists to make up the numbers.

I absolutely agree.. They think a bunch of Jorgensens are going to win the MLS cup. Meanwhile Jorgensen isn't even good enough to dress...
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

I absolutely agree.. They think a bunch of Jorgensens are going to win the MLS cup. Meanwhile Jorgensen isn't even good enough to dress...

Who are "they?"    J$ was an Armas/Hamlett decision.   They're gone.    

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

"they?" J$ was an Armas/Hamlett decision. They're gone.

Hamlett is gone?
https://www.newyorkr...technical-staff
https://www.newyorkr...f/denis-hamlett

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Hamlett is gone?

Hamlett is no longer in a decision making position with Struber and Thelwell here

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

Hamlett is gone?
https://www.newyorkr...technical-staff

For all intents and purposes, completely neutered.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Signing bums is a bad idea but there are good players there if they scout right.  I dont care where a player comes as long as they are good.   That said when we get people from lower leagues we need to focus on those that have produced in those leagues, not reserve team players (i.e. Jorgenson)

I'd agree with this - nothing wrong with looking at lower leagues to see if maybe someone slipped through the cracks. I think this is especially true for strikers - a bad team can make a good striker look like garbage. By trying to find someone who slipped through the cracks, you have the potential to get vastly more talent per dollar. This can be one piece to the puzzle of a championship team where there are salary restrictions. 

I sort of view Jorgenson differently -  they were infatuated by his speed, age, and height. I think maybe their attraction made them blind to his, what appears to me, general aloofness. 

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Who are "they?"    J$ was an Armas/Hamlett decision.   They're gone.    

the overlords aren't going to go out and get a Jack Wilshere or Ozil or Hulk or Dele Alli..

They did not even go after guys like Yimmi Chara or Cristian Pavón...

Expect more Jorgensen and Tetteh and Yearwood deals

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
BLewis did drop a hint on here about an exciting off-season, FWIW.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

BLewis did drop a hint on here about an exciting off-season, FWIW.

BLewis or Matt Doyle? Who is Matrim55?

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

They literally don't. They barely played him once Armas was fired. Nobody currently associated with the team played a role in Jorgensen's acquisition. What????

So far Thelwell has made three moves.

- Signed a Championship level player

- Signed a Europa League level player who last played for Austria's top teams

- Hired a Championship level manager

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

They literally don't. They barely played him once Armas was fired. Nobody currently associated with the team played a role in Jorgensen's acquisition. What????

So far Thelwell has made three moves.

- Signed a Championship level player
- Signed a Europa League level player who last played for Austria's top teams
- Hired a Championship level manager

In the presser they said they wanted young guys.. 21 year Olds.. So unless they are planning on spending insane money 21 years old that are well known from top flight football are going to be pricey.. Heck even if they aren't well known but if they are starters or key players for their club at a top flight league like at 21 they will be out of Metro price range.. So if they are 21 coming from Europe they will be coming from lower leagues and not EPL or La Liga or Ligue 1 or Bundesliga... Austria is a lower league.. Championship is a lower league..

They will be from Austria.. Romania.. English Championship.. Not the Premier League

Hey sometimes you get a BWP most of the time it's a Jorgensen

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

the overlords aren't going to go out and get a Jack Wilshere or Ozil or Hulk or Dele Alli..

They did not even go after guys like Yimmi Chara or Cristian Pavón...

Expect more Jorgensen and Tetteh and Yearwood deals

There's a fuck ton of room betweem Ozil (no thank you), or Pavon (on loan), and Jorgenson.     They dumped Tetteh, and haven't played J$ a single minute.    We have no idea what they paid or committed to for Yearwood.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

It's truly mind-numbing how the team signed one shitty teenager and suddenly that means every young player in the world who could come to MLS must also be shitty. Jorgensen sucks and was a mistake. Shit happens. Get over it, Jesus Christ. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

BLewis or Matt Doyle? Who is Matrim55?

Brian posts here under his name, pretty sure that's his actual handle here. 

[Insert scene from Spartacus parody where MetroFanatic posters declare that they are Matrim55]

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users