60 replies to this topic

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

A lot of areas we need to improve, starting positions (does not say which ones).

only answer i care about.  we have solid roster depth but need to improve the starting lineup.  everything else im trying not too read too much into until we see what "high spend" and "adequate spend" mean to him.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts
  • Supports:Metro

"Not sure if spend will go up or go down"

Well, go down is an option...

Embarrassing.  There is very little that the team could do to spend less on this roster.  They're lucky MLS PA didn't release salaries this year, because we almost definitely would have dropped even lower than we were before.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

We're back to looking for deals at Nordstrom Rack, y'all's!!! 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Really don't know how the team gets better without spending.  I know he has to hedge a bit just in case he can't close deals, but we need a significant investment on a legitimate striker.  You can find good players at other positions without breaking the bank, but you have to have a striker and they cost money.

if you go out and say we are going spend more thats an invitation for every team to drive up prices because you said you were going spend big

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,450 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

if you go out and say we are going spend more thats an invitation for every team to drive up prices because you said you were going spend big

This.

Plus your current players and their agents will be trying to get in on the action and renegotiate causing an unnecessary distraction.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

So I actually listened to the full press conference and the full context of his answer on spending is different than I think how we initially interpreted it. He was asked if we should "expect the spending to drastically go up." 

Thelwell's point was basically he recognizes the roster needs to improve in a big way but that there are a lot of ways to do so and he can't predict now what the best moves will mean in terms of spending. It was basically a neutral answer that, for us, is pretty annoying because we want answers for what is happening, but which in no way precluded the team from spending in some way this offseason.

Now, has RBNY earned the benefit of the doubt? Fuck no. So I don't blame people who are going to expect the worst. But his answer was not a dismissal of the idea of spending. 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Full press conference

https://www.youtube....h?v=CcRHp3xE64s

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
Lol when he said IF Clarke comes back with us next season.

If he's out this winter and they don't restock and we get to be back in person it's going to be an angry south ward.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

"We're recruiting YOUNG players"

Was hard to recruit players in middle of pandemic

Ugh! Here we go again. 22 year olds who sit on the bench in the championship. Roll them out.

Just go sign the golden boot winner from Cyprus or Romania league. Give me the hope that someones proven skill can translate over here.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Also from Thelwell: "I would hope me coming from the Premier League was a statement of intent."

Which, again, doesn't promise spending, but he at least is saying that he understands the caliber of players we need are significantly higher than what we've had the last two years.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts

Ugh! Here we go again. 22 year olds who sit on the bench in the championship. Roll them out.

Just go sign the golden boot winner from Cyprus or Romania league. Give me the hope that someones proven skill can translate over here.

They tried to sign the League One leading goalscorer who is still scoring for fun in the Championship. Cosgrove, if those links had any truth, was a top 5 goalscorer in the SPL.

The Red Bull model on signings is apparent, Barnsley has a somewhat similar policy and Struber got them to make a couple exceptions with signings during his short time in charge.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts

Lol when he said IF Clarke comes back with us next season.

If he's out this winter and they don't restock and we get to be back in person it's going to be an angry south ward.

Might be wrong but dont think he can go anywhere until he turns 18. Should still plan for his imminent departure.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Ultimately, words don't really matter and actions do. That will tell the story.

Couldn't agree more. Very polished presentation. Disappointed in the finish this year, want to win the MLS Cup, want to bring stronger players, focusing on young players, but will bring some older ones as well, will be looking at DP spots, etc... At the end of the day though it's the actions that will tell the story. 

For now bigger takeaways are that Carnell is coming back, which is a smart move, since Bradley really turned the team around after taking over from Armas. Mines is gone. Thought he showed some potential, hopefully we will not regret this. Now we wait until the next transfer window to see if the actions will align with the words.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

After watching this press conference, I'm not worried at all about Thelwell being aggressive to get players.  He's basically saying matter-of-factly that there will be every intention on bringing in multiple players. That will include spending.

Also worth saying that we are in really good hands with Thelwell. Feels similar to Jesse where you just kind of knew you were in good hands. 

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

When the spending question was asked, i wished someone followed up to see if RBNY was willing to buy down some of their DP contracts  with garber bucks to non DP.  i think it would have given us an idea on how much garber bucks RBNY still has available. I think Kaku's contract could be bought down and maybe Yearwood's contract.  if there was any intent to buy them down, then that could be a sign that they are going to bring in a big contract or two. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users