60 replies to this topic

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

When the spending question was asked, i wished someone followed up to see if RBNY was willing to buy down some of their DP contracts  with garber bucks to non DP.  i think it would have given us an idea on how much garber bucks RBNY still has available. I think Kaku's contract could be bought down and maybe Yearwood's contract.  if there was any intent to buy them down, then that could be a sign that they are going to bring in a big contract or two. 

Someone did actually ask this specifically about Yearwood. Thelwell basically gave a non-answer about how the mechanisms of MLS are complicated and he can't commit to anything right now but they'll do what they feel they need to in order to make the team better.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

When the spending question was asked, i wished someone followed up to see if RBNY was willing to buy down some of their DP contracts  with garber bucks to non DP.  i think it would have given us an idea on how much garber bucks RBNY still has available. I think Kaku's contract could be bought down and maybe Yearwood's contract.  if there was any intent to buy them down, then that could be a sign that they are going to bring in a big contract or two. 

someone did ask that.  but he didnt want to go into specifics besides saying they are willing to optimize roster characterizations to make squad better.  But as others have said i personally am not worried.  I think in general they have a good eye for talent, but can they get the deals past the finish line. 

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

someone did ask that.  but he didnt want to go into specifics besides saying they are willing to optimize roster characterizations to make squad better.  But as others have said i personally am not worried.  I think in general they have a good eye for talent, but can they get the deals past the finish line. 

Yeah, even Thelwell mentioned this.  Normally it's tough to get a young kid to make a big culture switch.  Now when you're trying to do it in the middle of a pandemic, it's even tougher.  It was clear he was hopeful and they intend to make significant changes, but it's really a good point.  Hope he's able to pull it off because waiting for the summer window almost never works.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

...  I think in general they have a good eye for talent, but can they get the deals past the finish line. 

Who is the "they" in that statement?  The Jorgensen "they," the Tetteh "they?"   Some other "they?"

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Tom bogert asked this specifically about dru yearwood and Thelwell said he doesnt want to answer at this time. Basically he wants to show to much to early. He did suggest if reshuffling was needed it was possible

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Who is the "they" in that statement?  The Jorgensen "they," the Tetteh "they?"   Some other "they?"

haha.  Thelwell they.  I dont expect any sporting director to bat 1.000 but with Tetteh they knew fit was questionable enough that they only got him on a loan instead of as a permanent transfer.  And for what its worth on paper Tetteh's resume wasnt horrible either.  But i put this somewhere else but every player we have a confirmed permanent bid in for has been good so far. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

haha.  Thelwell they.  I dont expect any sporting director to bat 1.000 but with Tetteh they knew fit was questionable enough that they only got him on a loan instead of as a permanent transfer.  And for what its worth on paper Tetteh's resume wasnt horrible either.  But i put this somewhere else but every player we have a confirmed permanent bid in for has been good so far. 

But Struber coached Tetteh before, in a system like ours.  Shouldn't have been questionable at all.  He should have known very well what kind of fit he would be. 

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

But Struber coached Tetteh before, in a system like ours.  Shouldn't have been questionable at all.  He should have known very well what kind of fit he would be. 

Struber coached Tetteh for one game here so who knows if he would have got more out of him.  And to be honest I'd rather them take a swing at loaning someone here who was 50/50 to work out than do nothing.  Based on structure of Tetteh arrangement he was clearly a Plan C or D move.  Lastly I dont think Tetteh is a bad player but he's a winger not a 9.  And we rarely if ever played him wide here due to our needs.  We have forwards who didnt work out here playing in champions league now, fit sometimes is random.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

This is why I always think these sorts of press conferences are a waste of time.  A smart executive does not answer any real substantive questions because it just makes his job harder as it gives information to other teams and agents that can be used against the team in negotiations.  A stupid executive answers the questions and makes big promises about spending and signings that only make it harder to accomplish those things.  The more likely the fans get answers they like to hear, the more likely you have a blow hard executive who is all take and the less likely you get the results the fans want.  

I think it is already clear Thelwell is a smart executive and understands this.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

Struber coached Tetteh for one game here so who knows if he would have got more out of him.  And to be honest I'd rather them take a swing at loaning someone here who was 50/50 to work out than do nothing.  Based on structure of Tetteh arrangement he was clearly a Plan C or D move.  Lastly I dont think Tetteh is a bad player but he's a winger not a 9.  And we rarely if ever played him wide here due to our needs.  We have forwards who didnt work out here playing in champions league now, fit sometimes is random.

I can't imagine we got Tetteh and it was just coincidental that he had been coached by Struber previously at Liefring.   Clearly, Struber had input.   They knew his level and style of play, knew our needs, and thought he'd plug our hole up top.     That's what he was brought here to do.     The only explanation I can come up with is they underestimated MLS.    Hopefully, they learned from that.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

I can't imagine we got Tetteh and it was just coincidental that he had been coached by Struber previously at Liefring.   Clearly, Struber had input.   They knew his level and style of play, knew our needs, and thought he'd plug our hole up top.     That's what he was brought here to do.     The only explanation I can come up with is they underestimated MLS.    Hopefully, they learned from that.

Tetteh was brought in well before Struber was hired

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Someone did actually ask this specifically about Yearwood. Thelwell basically gave a non-answer about how the mechanisms of MLS are complicated and he can't commit to anything right now but they'll do what they feel they need to in order to make the team better.

Thankfully he has an assistant GM in Hamlett whose job is basically just to read the rulebook all day long, right?

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Tetteh was brought in well before Struber was hired

Whether he was hired before or not, the "eye for talent" Thelwell supposedly has certainly did not materialize in MLS yet.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts

Thankfully he has an assistant GM in Hamlett whose job is basically just to read the rulebook all day long, right?

O/U for Hamlett's "mutually agreed" depature?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

O/U for Hamlett's "mutually agreed" depature?

Def within 2021.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users