Mathias Jorgensen   407
Fredrik Gulbrandsen 362
Samuel Tetteh  328
Dominic Oduro   304
Jhonny Arteaga 227
Muhamed Keita   203
Andre Akpan   197

This is some rarefied company.

All the minutes these terrible players took from Brian white.

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

All the minutes these terrible players took from Brian white.

Brian White, still not clear that he is not also a terrible player.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Brian White, still not clear that he is not also a terrible player.

nah its pretty clear he's not terrible. 

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

nah its pretty clear he's not terrible. 

I would not call White terrible but lets look at the two MLS Cup teams and see where White would be on depth chart

SSFC

Ruidíaz

Morris

Bruin

Dhillon

The first three no debate, so he is either 4th or 5th

CCrew

Zardes

Nemeth

Adi

Hamilton

DE7?

So again maybe 3rd, 4th?

Not a slight on White but these are the type of rosters we need to be better than to win MLS Cup.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I would not call White terrible but lets look at the two MLS Cup teams and see where White would be on depth chart

SSFC

Ruidíaz

Morris

Bruin

Dhillon

The first three no debate, so he is either 4th or 5th

CCrew

Zardes

Nemeth

Adi

Hamilton

DE7?

So again maybe 3rd, 4th?

Not a slight on White but these are the type of rosters we need to be better than to win MLS Cup.

i dont want to get into a battle defending Brian White's honor or anything.  We all know we need better starting forwards.  But there is no doubt in my mind that White would be a good backup striker for a MLS Cup contender and a solid starter for a fringe playoff team (ironically what we were last 2 years).  That is clearly not terrible to me. I am not here to convince people that he should be starting if we want MLS Cup. 

That said before you listed it I've always seen Will Bruin as a comp for Brian White.  They aren't that different. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts
  • Supports:Metro

From "Matt Doyle":

The other argument would be for Brian White, the third-year forward who is quietly building a "hey you should probably start this guy" resume. He had 5g/1a in 870 regular-season minutes, then came off the bench to score a goal in the playoffs. Across all MLS competitions (i.e., not US Open Cup or CCL) he's got 16g/3a in about 2500 minutes. For context, Gyasi Zardes had 13g/2a in about 2500 minutes in 2019, and three of Gyasi's were penalties. Bradley Wright-Phillips in 2017? 17g/1a in 2560 minutes.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

I really think White wasn't healthy to start the year, or at least something was up with him. But once he got going he looked a lot like last season. A guy who can consistently score goals, not great at anything else (but his job is to score so who cares?).

I don't think we are an MLS Cup team with White as a lone striker in the Armas style. But, in a 2 striker set up: White with INT Signing up top? I'd be happy. As long as the backups were also new signings so Barlow is relegated to under 250 minutes next season. 

My fear is the team is planning Barlow and new signing together with White and 2nd signing as backups. I get it, Barlow looks like he should be amazing. But he blows.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Production would argue being one of the starters or the main backup to the other 2 strikers in either a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, and yet both Carnell and Struber (1 match) preferred Barlow despite the lack of production.

If Royer has an inside track on being in the starting XI by virtue of being Austrian then White is probably still at best the 3rd option, assuming a striker is bought in the winter.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I think White is going to be like Chad Barrett or Will Bruin. Can start and hold his own but is best suited as a supersub to come on and poach a goal when the team needs one.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

Brian Blanco definitely has some game cmon. He's looking to me like a solid backup striker, the tall plan B we never had for all those hopeful/hopeless playoff crosses to 5'8" BWP sandwiched between two centerbacks. What's his salary, .85 bags of magic beans? And he seems to have a knack for late goals? Whatareweeventawkinabout!

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls
I dont think its a debate of wether he is good or not. Its that management and the Struber still dont think hes the best striker on the team.

If the team brings in a clear upgrade Ill be happy. But dont try to sell us on an 18 year old from the system or a bum from Europe, and say how they will battle for minutes.

Give white the keys and the confidence to move forward and he will perform.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
He is invisible for long stretches, but finds good spots and puts away a fair amount of his chances.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
I have no problem with White. I loved his late goals. But when he starts alone up too and plays 90, he seems completely invisible for most of the game. We are not built like Greece 2004 to win every game 1-0, we need our forward to play a big part in our offense and defense.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

He is invisible for long stretches, but finds good spots and puts away a fair amount of his chances.

Seems like the definition of almost every decent striker.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Seems like the definition of almost every decent striker.   

Yup. Thread title was debate his qualities. Those are his qualities. Which more or less makes him and okay/decent striker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users