Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

He got an extension last yr, iirc. He definitely doesn't make league minimum anymore, but I'd be surprised if White's cap hit is north of $150k.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Hes definitely better than Barlow and the entire organization seems to be betting on Barlow at the moment

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Hes definitely better than Barlow and the entire organization seems to be betting on Barlow at the moment

Barlow is great physically but can't finish.

White can finish with excellence, but that's about it. 

I'm still rooting for trying to merge them in a lab.

I think White's ideal role on a good team is a late game substitution when the team is pressing offense and needs a goal. He shouldn't be an every game starter. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Seems like the definition of almost every decent striker.   

Decent is accurate. Good finisher at the MLS level, but doesn't create much by himself or for others. Can't really beat a defender 1v1 with pace or technique.

Many forwards can also do those things, but obviously that usually comes witb a different transfer fee and wage bracket.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I think White's ideal role on a good team is a late game substitution when the team is pressing offense and needs a goal. He shouldn't be an every game starter. 

I dont know if I agree with that.

In 2019 White had 9 goals in 17 games STARTED. And I know its not apples to apples but Zardes had 13 in 28 in that same year...and Zardes is going to be playing in a cup final.

IMO more should be made of the rest of the roster, staff, and his health (or lack thereof).

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

In 2019 White had 9 goals in 17 games STARTED. And I know its not apples to apples but Zardes had 13 in 28 in that same year...and Zardes is going to be playing in a cup final.

IMO more should be made of the rest of the roster, staff, and his health (or lack thereof).

White's 2019 numbers were ridiculous and probably unsustainable even under the best of circumstances, I think he scored on like 80% of his shots on goal. His 2020 numbers crashed back down to reality a bit but 5 goals in 872 minutes is still a pretty damn good return. That's a goal every other game, which certainly isn't elite but is worth a spot on the roster.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

White's 2019 numbers were ridiculous and probably unsustainable even under the best of circumstances, I think he scored on like 80% of his shots on goal. His 2020 numbers crashed back down to reality a bit but 5 goals in 872 minutes is still a pretty damn good return. That's a goal every other game, which certainly isn't elite but is worth a spot on the roster.

You cant compare 2019 and 2020.

Injury, COVID, Armas, etc.

If he is healthy (IF), then he deserves a shot as a starter somewhere with a competent coaching staff and roster.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
White isn't MLS quality.. Maybe USL..
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

LOL

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Not MLS quality? Like, at all? 

Let's see:

White finished the year with 5 goals in 800+ minutes. By comparison:

He led Atl in goals this year.

Finished 2nd for Chicago and did it with 500 fewer minutes than their 2nd scorer.

Finished tied for 1st on Colorado, in 100 fewer minutes.

4th for Cbus- with at least 200 fewer minutes than everyone ahead of him.

Would have been DC's leading scorer.

Would have been Cincy's leading scorer.

Would have been #2 for Dallas with 500 fewer minutes.

Would have tied for 2nd in Houston, and played exactly 50% of the minutes of the guy he's tied with.

Tied for #1 in Miami with 1,100 fewer minutes.

I could go on but the point is, at the very least White would make a good MLS super sub. The guy can score. He just shouldn't be the lone starting striker (Armas!!!). He certainly isn't USL quality considering it seems at least half of the league would like Brian White on their team in some capacity.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

White isn't MLS quality ...

He is Metro quality:
http://metrofanatic....AR=0&STAT=goals
T20 all-time in goals. T13 of forwards.
Compares favorably with Altidore, Comas, Cahill, Gaven.
Ahead of Djorkaeff, Veron, Fabian Espindola, Luke Rodgers, SGR & Peguy Luyindula.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

LOL

He doesnt play for River or Boca and cost a $10 million transfer fee, so forgive MiLo for thinking hes not MLS quality.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
He scored 5 goals... Calm down... If mediocrity is your goal, then fine...

Maybe next year he'll have 8..and Metro will once again barely make the playoffs and get bounced first round..
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

He scored 5 goals... Calm down... If mediocrity is your goal, then fine...

Maybe next year he'll have 8..and Metro will once again barely make the playoffs and get bounced first round..

He scored in half his games started in 2019.

Under Armas.

If he bags 17 in 34 next season Ill take that all the way to the bank.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I don't believe that production was sustainable, but even if it is, scoring at that rate is the minimum for a starting MLS striker on a competitive team. You need a guy who can score like that PLUS do other things like hold up the ball, dribble, pass, press, etc. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users