49 replies to this topic

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I don't believe that production was sustainable, but even if it is, scoring at that rate is the minimum for a starting MLS striker on a competitive team. You need a guy who can score like that PLUS do other things like hold up the ball, dribble, pass, press, etc. 

We dont know about his production sustainability. There isnt enough data.

Zardes is the worst soccer player Ive ever seen and hes playing in a cup final.

I rest my case.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
No one said we are winning a cup with him as the primary striker, but theres a big gap between a cup winning striker and not MLS quality

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

We dont know about his production sustainability. There isnt enough data.

Zardes is the worst soccer player Ive ever seen and hes playing in a cup final.

I rest my case.

The funny thing is that Zardes does SO MUCH more than Brian White to make his team's offense work.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

The funny thing is that Zardes does SO MUCH more than Brian White to make his team's offense work.

He also has way better players around him than White to make the offense work.  White has been surrounded by players who struggle to create any chances for the strikers. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

He scored in half his games started in 2019.

Under Armas.

If he bags 17 in 34 next season Ill take that all the way to the bank.

In which universe do you really think he could score 17 in 34? Not a chance.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

He also has way better players around him than White to make the offense work.  White has been surrounded by players who struggle to create any chances for the strikers. 

Good point, there's definitely feedback in both directions.  White would do much better with competent service.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

He scored in half his games started in 2019.

Under Armas.

If he bags 17 in 34 next season Ill take that all the way to the bank.

He won't score more than 10 goals all next season and he won't even play 34 because whoever the coach is will say I gotta take him out and try someone else... That's why he didn't get more than 10 starts this season....

If he was that good he would have started and we wouldn't be debating his quality...

At best he can be a sub in case the starter gets injured or needs to be rested
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

No one said we are winning a cup with him as the primary striker, but theres a big gap between a cup winning striker and not MLS quality

that's setting the bar ridiculously low...

Might as well say that has a contract with is MLS quality...

If I was building a team I am not going for a Center Foward that can only score 5 goals a season...

I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

There's some context missing to White's 2020 numbers here. His goals came mostly as a late-game sub when the team was in desperate all-out attack mode and the opposing defense was tired. The goals per minute stat is very, very kind to those who thrive in the super sub role.

When White actually started games at the beginning of the season he looked poor, wasn't scoring, and was deservedly benched. In a two-striker system where he's asked to do more than tap-ins, it becomes apparent how much the rest of his game is lacking.

I'm still happy to have him on the roster somewhere down the depth chart, but I'm not yet buying that he's a starter on an MLS Cup quality team.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

There's some context missing to White's 2020 numbers here. His goals came mostly as a late-game sub when the team was in desperate all-out attack mode and the opposing defense was tired. The goals per minute stat is very, very kind to those who thrive in the super sub role.

When White actually started games at the beginning of the season he looked poor, wasn't scoring, and was deservedly benched. In a two-striker system where he's asked to do more than tap-ins, it becomes apparent how much the rest of his game is lacking.

I'm still happy to have him on the roster somewhere down the depth chart, but I'm not yet buying that he's a starter on an MLS Cup quality team.

Very fair, but in 2019, with 9 goals in 1350 minutes, he started 17 of his 19 games.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
Wasnt he also recovering from an injury in the beginning of this season?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

If I was building a team I am not going for a Center Foward that can only score 5 goals a season...

White led the team with goals while being 13th in minutes played. Unless & until RB spends on a proven scorer, not the Jorgensens & Tettehs, he is the best we have got.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
White can score more than 15 if he's spearing a attack filled with dynamic playmakers. But since this is metro we'll need a DP striker ahead of him on the depth chart to do some of that work.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Very fair, but in 2019, with 9 goals in 1350 minutes, he started 17 of his 19 games.

For sure no arguing he had a great year in 2019. I just can't quite get over the rate at which he scored compared to his shots taken. Strikes me as a potential indicator for a "flash in the pan" season.

White can score more than 15 if he's spearing a attack filled with dynamic playmakers. But since this is metro we'll need a DP striker ahead of him on the depth chart to do some of that work.

A midfield with three designated players and White up top alone is the only scenario in which I'm personally happy going into next season with the idea of him as our starting striker. I don't think he's passed the eye test yet in a two striker setup where he has to do more than put the finishing touch on a play. Struber also seems to favor two striker setups doesn't he?

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

A midfield with three designated players and White up top alone is the only scenario in which I'm personally happy going into next season with the idea of him as our starting striker. I don't think he's passed the eye test yet in a two striker setup where he has to do more than put the finishing touch on a play. Struber also seems to favor two striker setups doesn't he?

cannot emphasize enough how much better his skill set is as a lone striker vs. in 2 forward system.  In 2 forward system he's at best a second striker in general and on a good team should be 3rd.  The two things White is good at (back to goal work and poacher goals) happen more when you are a lone striker.  You still can do better than White as a lone striker but with the right midfield he would be the least of my concerns. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users