64 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

What, like our wide backs? I think it's obvious that our FO disagrees with this opinion and they have faith in the players who EARNED THE BEST GOAL DIFFERENTIAL IN THE LEAGUE LAST SEASON. 

7-0 games will do that

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

What, like our wide backs? I think it's obvious that our FO disagrees with this opinion and they have faith in the players who EARNED THE BEST GOAL DIFFERENTIAL IN THE LEAGUE LAST SEASON. 

Complimenting our wide backs while also failing to mention that our defense was 8th in the league in goals conceded, and in the weaker conference.

But it's cool, stacks of allocation money are great and we can brag about winning the most points per dollar spent again I guess.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

We have had a lot of good seasons recently. We finished top in the east last season (after a shit start) and won the SS the year before.

I get that we want a cup and don't have one yet - that sucks... but I just think it's a big stretch to say we haven't fielded successful teams over the last several years. 

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

Complimenting our wide backs

I didn't compliment them. I asked if that's what you were referring to as an area of weakness.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

7-0 games will do that

What was our G/D when we went 1-6 in the first 7 games? You can't reduce our success down to one game. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Complimenting our wide backs while also failing to mention that our defense was 8th in the league in goals conceded, and in the weaker conference.

But it's cool, stacks of allocation money are great and we can brag about winning the most points per dollar spent again I guess.

Even if our team had the best defense in the league, if we have allocation money and someone better is available, I want to buy them .  And we are not looking for guys to enhance Real Madrid, this is the MLS.  Somebody better has to be available, and we have money to get them.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Even if our team had the best defense in the league, if we have allocation money and someone better is available, I want to buy them .  And we are not looking for guys to enhance Real Madrid, this is the MLS.  Somebody better has to be available, and we have money to get them.

This is exactly the point of my posts in this thread. There is absolutely no reason to hold out when we have the money and there are players easily available that could improve the team. Our team might be able to win the east as is, but throwing up your hands and saying "the playoffs are a crapshoot, there's not much more we can do" is bullshit.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

I didn't compliment them. I asked if that's what you were referring to as an area of weakness.

Got it, I viewed your post as one continuous point.

Yeah, wide backs for starters. Just off the top of my head, AJ Delagarza was traded for 125k this offseason. That's an easy upgrade over Zizzo or Lade. If we can get 400k for Dax, surely we could get a starting quality RB for 100-200k in allocation.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

Got it, I viewed your post as one continuous point.

Yeah, wide backs for starters. Just off the top of my head, AJ Delagarza was traded for 125k this offseason. That's an easy upgrade over Zizzo or Lade. If we can get 400k for Dax, surely we could get a starting quality RB for 100-200k in allocation.

Seeing Red daily podcast reports Murillo was spotted in NJ:

Astute Red Bulls fans have sent up a flag that Panamanian defender Michael Murillo has arrived in the US. Reports earlier this month had the San Francisco FC wing back headed to the Red Bulls on a one-year loan, and if Murillo's Instagram account is correct, he's about to undergo his team physical. Big ups to RBNY fan Fernando Gonzalez on the capture. The 20 year-old Murillo has 3 goals in 42 appearances for his club, San Francisco, and has played 9 times for the Panamanian national team. His addition to the squad will create some much-needed depth on the back line as the season looms.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Rost and Rafa were gone in 2014, we still had the highest payroll. Henry is one of the greatest players in the modern era and was still performing at a really high level. Cahill had an awesome 2013 and then a mediocre 2014... 

We won the SS in 2013! Then we kept our really awesome DPs and dropped the crap ones you mentioned... but that didn't work either! You can't reduce this down like it's the same thing as playing Football Manager, it's not easy to put a championship team together. 

This is an extremely weak argument. "One team that spent a lot in one season didn't win MLS Cup among 19 teams, so therefore spending doesn't matter." One goal was what separated them and New England in the Conference Final. Changing your entire blueprint for building a team based on one goal is absolutely ridiculous. 

I think we have a good team and that's objectively verified by reviewing our regular season results. So our decision makers have been trying to put together a good team and spend on the right players, I think we can trust that based on our really really good results... they spent a ton of money previously and now are spending less, but we still have a STACKED team by MLS standards. 

I think we have a good team, also. I don't think many people are disputing that fact. I think what people are pointing out is that it could be an even better team if some moves were made to bolster the roster. Moves that usually involve money being pushed around.

I think that any argument that asserts that we're not doing enough to be competitive would have to be predicated on a belief that we don't have a competitive team already. That's what I'm challenging. We have a good team already and it seems like everyone just wants signings for the sake of having signings. 

First of all, you have this weird cognitive dissonance going on. We were pretty damn competitive from 2010-2013 while spending money! But that wasn't good enough for you; perhaps justifiably so. The results the last two years are not notably different from the results from the past. Why is being "competitive, but not competitive enough" sufficient for you now but wasn't in the past? 

Secondly, I don't think anyone here thinks this team isn't competitive. Again, the point is that they could be even better with some investment. I don't know how you could possibly deny this to be true.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

This is an extremely weak argument. "One team that spent a lot in one season didn't win MLS Cup among 19 teams, so therefore spending doesn't matter." One goal was what separated them and New England in the Conference Final. Changing your entire blueprint for building a team based on one goal is absolutely ridiculous. 

My argument is based on the collective success we've had over the last several seasons, not one season. A specific season was only being discussed as an example because someone brought up Frank Rost and Rafa

I think we have a good team, also. I don't think many people are disputing that fact. I think what people are pointing out is that it could be an even better team if some moves were made to bolster the roster. Moves that usually involve money being pushed around.

I think people are disputing that we have a good team, even if they aren't consciously intending to. These threads are riddled with posts claiming we have "several areas of weakness to address" and convey a desperate need to improve. I think it's perfectly reasonable for us to discuss what sort of DP might help the team, what sort of player could improve us.. but thats not the discourse here. The discussion here seems to almost imply that people want a roster overhaul. 

First of all, you have this weird cognitive dissonance going on. We were pretty damn competitive from 2010-2013 while spending money! But that wasn't good enough for you; perhaps justifiably so. The results the last two years are not notably different from the results from the past. Why is being "competitive, but not competitive enough" sufficient for you now but wasn't in the past? 

I don't even know what you're responding to here? I think we had a good team during those years too and my point has been that we earned a SS and won the east while having the highest payroll AND we also won a SS and won the east with the lowest - my argument is that it's sophomoric to just assume that "spending money" is always the answer. I agree that spending money intelligently is definitely part of the answer, but instead of talking about what specific things we need to do to improve, people are just mad they don't have transfer news. 

Secondly, I don't think anyone here thinks this team isn't competitive. Again, the point is that they could be even better with some investment. I don't know how you could possibly deny this to be true.

Everything could always be better with some investment. Nothing to dispute here. I'm saying that when someone makes a sweeping generalization like "We've done nothing to improve the team!" it takes for granted that we already have a good team and it's really hard to deduce what specific things would improve us even further. I don't want signings for the sake of signings, I don't think we need 4 or 5 signings - I think we need one smart signing, maybe 2 and that they will come in the summer, like they normally do. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

My argument is based on the collective success we've had over the last several seasons, not one season. A specific season was only being discussed as an example because someone brought up Frank Rost and Rafa 

Right, and where was that Rost and Rafa money allocated? Nowhere. Cahill and Henry were already on the team. That money wasn't invested elsewhere. I'm not sure how that proves your point. If anything, it directly contradicts it. 

I think people are disputing that we have a good team, even if they aren't consciously intending to. These threads are riddled with posts claiming we have "several areas of weakness to address" and convey a desperate need to improve. I think it's perfectly reasonable for us to discuss what sort of DP might help the team, what sort of player could improve us.. but thats not the discourse here. The discussion here seems to almost imply that people want a roster overhaul. 

I haven't seen anything of what you're saying. If you point out specific comments I'll retract and apologize but right now I think you're exaggerating for the purposes of justifying your points.

I don't even know what you're responding to here? I think we had a good team during those years too and my point has been that we earned a SS and won the east while having the highest payroll AND we also won a SS and won the east the lowest - my argument is that it's sophomoric to just assume that "spending money" is always the answer. I agree that spending money intelligently is definitely the answer, but instead of talking about what specific things we need to do to improve, people are just mad they don't have transfer news. 

People are mad we have no transfer news because it highlights the team's complete unwillingness to spend money. If the team broke the bank on a goalkeeper, we'd all be confused as shit and highly critical of them not prioritizing needs. But we couldn't accuse them of not investing money in the team. Right now we can, because they've done nothing, we've heard nothing beyond Terrence Boyd maybe visiting, and nothing appears to be in the works. I also think it's disingenuous to say people aren't discussing specific needs. I've seen plenty about people wanting a backup striker, A CB, and outside backs.  

Everything could always be better with some investment. Nothing to dispute here. I'm saying that when someone makes a sweeping generalization like "We've done nothing to improve the team!" it takes for granted that we already have a good team and it's really hard to deduce what specific things would improve us even further. I don't want signings for the sake of signings, I don't think we need 4 or 5 signings - I think we need one smart signing, maybe 2 and that they will come in the summer, like they normally do. 

It's not hard to deduce at all. We gave up a shitload of goals last season. Our defense is a bunch of guys coming off major injuries. The area of necessary investment could not be more obvious, in my opinion. Summer signings rarely have an immediate impact.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
Re: Loss to NE in ECF: we were the victims of one of the all time calvinball moments in league history when Jones wasn't sent off for about as blatant a red card as possible. Then (correct me if I am wrong) it came out that the league basically told the refs not to send off any "stars". If he is sent off it's quite possible that history is altered.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Re: Loss to NE in ECF: we were the victims of one of the all time calvinball moments in league history when Jones wasn't sent off for about as blatant a red card as possible. Then (correct me if I am wrong) it came out that the league basically told the refs not to send off any "stars". If he is sent off it's quite possible that history is altered.

Fair enough. But if Petke doesn't sub in Cahill into Game 1 or if Cahill had any positional understanding or BWP knew the yellow card accumulation rule or Cahill doesn't miss that attempt in Game 2... There's enough on us in that series.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Here is the thing...

if we dont make it to the playoffs then we wont have metro playoff fever!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users