403 replies to this topic

GMoney

GMoney

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

So who determines what is stupid? You? Why not me? Why not the coach? Stupid is a subjective adjective.

Should all coaches play by the same playbook?

Stupid brought us Lindpere, Rodgers, Solli, etc in the first place. You can't separate out some and call them smart and others and call them stupid. You have to take all the decisions in aggregate and look at what it produces.

In aggregate, Arena has proven to be a better coach, but Bruce sure made a number of stupid decisions when he coached us, and he didn't get us the results he has gotten others. "Dumb" Hans has produced better results for us than Bruce, but those don't count because you don't like his style.

I make ALL decisions on what is smart and stupid!! :lol:

Hans is not stupid, he's a very good coach. He has proven to be horrible using substitutions. He has a track record.

I never talked about player personnel decisions by him and Soler here. Strictly talking about burning out players in pre-season.

Every coach in the world makes good and bad decisions, that's why I brought up Bellicheck. He is unquestionably one of the best football coaches in the history of the game. He made a stupid decision that time. In order to have credibility, you need to be objective and call it the way it is.

Onionsack is a really good guy. I've met him in my early ESC days and he was great. He's bitter right now and RB's can't do anything right in his eyes. Same with Harraby Lad. Those guys are anti-RB and aren't objective.

There are other folks here who stick up for RB on just about every single decision. Many folks on these boards for a while think they are Red Bull employee's posting for good press (won't mention names but we know who they are). They have very little credibility because everything Red Bull is good.

I actually like Backe a lot, I applaud him. His substitution pattern is really bad though and I call it out because I'm objective.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I make ALL decisions on what is smart and stupid!! :lol:

Hans is not stupid, he's a very good coach. He has proven to be horrible using substitutions. He has a track record.

I never talked about player personnel decisions by him and Soler here. Strictly talking about burning out players in pre-season.

Every coach in the world makes good and bad decisions, that's why I brought up Bellicheck. He is unquestionably one of the best football coaches in the history of the game. He made a stupid decision that time. In order to have credibility, you need to be objective and call it the way it is.

Onionsack is a really good guy. I've met him in my early ESC days and he was great. He's bitter right now and RB's can't do anything right in his eyes. Same with Harraby Lad. Those guys are anti-RB and aren't objective.

There are other folks here who stick up for RB on just about every single decision. Many folks on these boards for a while think they are Red Bull employee's posting for good press (won't mention names but we know who they are). They have very little credibility because everything Red Bull is good.

I actually like Backe a lot, I applaud him. His substitution pattern is really bad though and I call it out because I'm objective.

Well said.

You bring the sub thing up at every turn to the point where I thought you might have crossed the "bitter" line yourself.

As far as subs, we'll see what the new season brings. Last year he clearly had no faith in his bench beyond a player or two. We'll see if that was the difference, or whether he just can't bear to use them in principle. As a betting man I would bet that he will use them sparingly and frustrate the hell out of us once again, but I will wait and see.

Hopefully his starting Lade over Borrajo against LAG will begin to defuse the "Backe hates youth, homegrowns and anyone without a Viking pedigree" myth. He has stated many times that he doesn't use games as "practice", so it does give some credence to the view that he was just not enamored with his choices in reserve in 2011. Honestly, I can't argue with him, they were mostly a pretty uninspiring group. Despite that, I would have subbed a bit more in order to not wear out the starters. The chatter by both Soler and Backe this preseason seems to indicate that they grasped this, but we'll see if it actually translate into any real change.

At the moment I have no eveidence to suggest he'll use all 3 subs with any regularity. TBD.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
I have been more bitter this year than anytime before.

Thanks for keeping me in check.

:cheers:

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Amerisnob

Amerisnob

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Supports:Cosmos, Metro, PAOK

At the moment I have no eveidence to suggest he'll use all 3 subs with any regularity. TBD.

I don't think he'll sub more often other than to bring on an extra forward if we're down since we have so many. He tends to sub for tactical reasons instead of subbing to bring on fresh legs.

What I do think he will do is rotate the starters, whether it be Palsson occasionally in for Tainio, Lade in for Miller, Keel in for one of the CBs, etc., in order to keep the older guys fresher toward the end of the season.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but that's what I think he meant when he said an MLS team needs 3 good players at certain positions earlier in the preseason.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
With McCarty, (Potentially) Rodgers, and Keel as regular subs when we are healthy, he will actually have good options off the bench. Each of those guys can spell a guy at the defense, midfield, or striker position for 30 minutes each game if need be.
"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC
#RBNY Lineup vs. #RSL: Vuolo; Solli, Holgersson, Keel, Miller; Richards, Tainio, McCarty, Lindpere; Cooper, Henry

Swap in Meara and its the starting lineup for next week at Dallas.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
The newly 5 point docked in Fifa 12 Rafa Marquez on the bench. Od considering he gets the next 2 weeks off anyways.
"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

The newly 5 point docked in Fifa 12 Rafa Marquez on the bench. Od considering he gets the next 2 weeks off anyways.

They probably want the team to practice with McCarty in his spot so they'll be ready for opening day in Dallas.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
Must play starters all 90 even in pre-season.......

Solli out with an injury in the 1st half.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
SUBS!!

Neymar Jr. & Scumbag on for Cooper and Dax.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro
"Tiny-o"
MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
Some sort of RBNY fan can be seen in the stands.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

"Tiny-o"

"Ryan Marra"
"Hans Backy"

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

"Tiny-o"

I'm waiting for them to call him "Selanne."

New Rule: Defense can't pass back rest of game.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro
I know I'm hard on the announcers, but my three-year-old can tell his left from his right.
MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users