RedBullOut

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Supports:The sale of our club

Discounting Cup Competition: #RedBullMonday #RedBullOut

http://t.co/PxpjudJlLy

In the summer of 2011 New York’s original MLS club had yet to win a single legitimate trophy in its then 15-year history.  The ‘Curse of Caricola’ loomed large in those days and the fans were praying that they would taste some sort of success in the near future. 

In the middle of the MLS season, New York won it's opening round Open Cup match to reach the final eight.  On July 12, 2011, the unfortunately named New York Red Bulls traveled to Chicago to play the Fire in an Open Cup quarterfinal. The Fire were one of the league's worst teams that season. Winning the game would put NY within a game from just the third final in club history and within two wins of their first legitimate trophy.  It was all set up for one of those magical cup runs that NY fans had long dreamed for.

There was one major problem…only 14 players traveled (4 short of a full squad for those of you counting at home) and most of those were reserves.  Oh, and head coach Hans Backe decided to stay home too.  It wasn't an illness that sidelined the Swede, he just...decided not go.   In other words, New York was deliberately discounting a fantastic chance to win its first trophy in its tumultuous 15-year history.

Why on earth would any legitimate soccer club deliberately harm its chances at winning a major trophy, let alone one that hadn’t won a damn thing in its history? Apparently, there was a directive from Red Bull headquarters in Austria to ignore the Open Cup. “It's a nuisance”, the energy drink said. So Backe stayed home, as did top assistant Jan Halvor Halvorsen. The team of backups was coached by the combination of Carl Robinson (still a player!) and a guy who went by the name of Mike Petke.

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars

https://twitter.com/...532729937149952

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

https://twitter.com/...532729937149952

As someone who was not around, can you elaborate on the meaning of this?

Thanks

#RedBullOut

matador

matador

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Supports:metro, USMNT

as a goal celebration against us he picked up a can of red bull and spat it out.  im sure there's video somewhere but i am a lazy piece of shit.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

As someone who was not around, can you elaborate on the meaning of this?

Thanks
#RedBullOut

In 2006, Esky scored a goal as a member of the Scum and ran over to the sidelines, grabbed a can of Red Bull, took a sip and spit it out in disgust. Karmas a bitch and Esky wore a headpiece for the rest of his career due to concussions.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

InkedAG

InkedAG

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, Arsenal

I think what Alecko was trying to say is that he was spitting out Red Bull Corporate bullshit. 

What he fails to understand is that by doing that as goal celebration, playing as such for an hated rival (and I'd have to think that he knows this, what with his Metro hash tag), it only comes off as you shitting on the opposition.

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

as a goal celebration against us he picked up a can of red bull and spat it out.  im sure there's video somewhere but i am a lazy piece of shit.

Yet you are so close to RB HQ...

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars

https://www.youtube....h?v=fEEwOPlWi3g

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

https://www.youtube....h?v=fEEwOPlWi3g

Is it that hard to open a soda can?

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I think what Alecko was trying to say is that he was spitting out Red Bull Corporate bullshit. 

What he fails to understand is that by doing that as goal celebration, playing as such for an hated rival (and I'd have to think that he knows this, what with his Metro hash tag), it only comes off as you shitting on the opposition.

I remember that game well.  He was doing both....as he shit on us quite often.

I was pissed that he scored but thought it was an awesome goal celebration.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

RBNY had just honored Alecko Eskandarian's father at a game a week before that incident too, which just goes to show you what a piece of shit he is.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

RBNY had just honored Alecko Eskandarian's father at a game a week before that incident too, which just goes to show you what a piece of shit he is.

Yeah, this.

Alecko is being opportunistic.  Fuck that dude.

#RedBullOut

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I remember that game well.  He was doing both....as he shit on us quite often.

I was pissed that he scored but thought it was an awesome goal celebration.

I thought it was pretty funny too.  You need a sense of humor to follow this team.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

Nice comments in the video on goal.com regarding upper management at Red Bull out of touch with the respect of Petke in MLS...   Let the smearing of the Red Bull name continue.

http://www.goal.com/...at-real?ICID=OP

Nidal Baba Superstar

Nidal Baba Superstar

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

I always supported Alecko in doing what he did. Doesn't matter who he played for - guy's a Metro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users