205 replies to this topic

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Supports:Metro
He was 30 years old and unwanted goods at Orlando. Then he magically turned it around when we picked him up...in a contract year.

Red flag.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

According to MLS, BWP wasnt on caution, so he should be available.

Yardley is usually pretty good with statistics but he was off on a few things yesterday.

https://www.mlssocce...cipline/summary

So in other words, Veron doesn't start and maybe we see Zizzo. When the fuck is Royer back. Gosh, we miss some real wingers.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,904 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I hope next yr the backline will be: 1)Baah 2)Escobar 3)Long _____ 6)Ndam

need to use the money that is supposed to be spent on Collin for a TAM guy and then get a CB that's more experienced than Ndam and can challenge Long and Escobar. I'd rather not have Murillo/Lade/Zizzo playing a lot of CB next season. I'd rather have them as experienced depth at outside back.

Marsch will trot out a near best XI and will field the best XI at TFC. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

He was 30 years old and unwanted goods at Orlando. Then he magically turned it around when we picked him up...in a contract year.

Red flag.

And showed up out of shape and in poor form once he signed a contract, now he's injured (surprise, surprise) and trying to a start in the clothing business.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

And showed up out of shape and in poor form once he signed a contract, now he's injured (surprise, surprise) and trying to a start in the clothing business.

Yes. Look there's no way to predict EXACTLY what will happen, but someone at Red Bull needed to REALISTICALLY look at his situation last year ( surplus to Orlandos needs, magical turnaround, contract year, 30+): Someone needed to look at that with common sense and say "it's not gonna be as good next year...we need to sign some serious help".

They didn't.

And that put us in a situation of having to find another anchor for the defense this summer...WHICH THEY DIDNT DO.

Escobar and Murillo are really good gets. Young and talented. But they are too young and inexperienced to lead a backline and furthermore they're outside backs.

We needed a pure CB. A stud. A guy in his prime with big game experience and all the tools to be one of the best CBs in this league. Eliminate some of the naive play and defensive lapses. Step into some more tackles and win them. Put out fires before they happen. If we had done that we give up a few less goals over the past 2 months and right now we're having a completely different conversation.

They continue to screw up the CB position. You can't be consistently weak there and expect to win anything.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,664 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Yes. Look there's no way to predict EXACTLY what will happen, but someone at Red Bull needed to REALISTICALLY look at his situation last year ( surplus to Orlandos needs, magical turnaround, contract year, 30+): Someone needed to look at that with common sense and say "it's not gonna be as good next year...we need to sign some serious help".

They didn't.

And that put us in a situation of having to find another anchor for the defense this summer...WHICH THEY DIDNT DO.

Escobar and Murillo are really good gets. Young and talented. But they are too young and inexperienced to lead a backline and furthermore they're outside backs.

We needed a pure CB. A stud. A guy in his prime with big game experience and all the tools to be one of the best CBs in this league. Eliminate some of the naive play and defensive lapses. Step into some more tackles and win them. Put out fires before they happen. If we had done that we give up a few less goals over the past 2 months and right now we're having a completely different conversation.

They continue to screw up the CB position. You can't be consistently weak there and expect to win anything.

Is Escobar not a natural CB?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

General Robles

General Robles

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Supports:New York, Newcastle, Palermo

This is probably our easiest remaining game and I'm quite confident we will lose.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,885 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

He was 30 years old and unwanted goods at Orlando.

At the time, it seemed more a conflict issue with the coach, than age or fitness. And he certainly produced for us.
During last night's Orlando game, a graphic was shown explains their records with/without Kaka on the field; far better with him on the bench.
So, a DP is not always the answer. A cohesive unit is.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

General Robles

General Robles

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Supports:New York, Newcastle, Palermo

At the time, it seemed more a conflict issue with the coach, than age or fitness. And he certainly produced for us.
During last night's Orlando game, a graphic was shown explains their records with/without Kaka on the field; far better with him on the bench.

Same deal with the Montreal team that beat us last year and Drogba

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Is Escobar not a natural CB?

I don't think so. I might be wrong though. Someone here can correct me.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Regardless it should have been a red flag. And we should have gotten a stud to start the season. Not 2 kids ( who I REALLY like) mid season.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I don't think so. I might be wrong though. Someone here can correct me.

fwiw

https://www.transfer.../spieler/345716

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,904 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

escobar's only played centrally for us. 

Baah can allegedly play both LB and CB. But only CB here, LB prior to RBNY. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

escobar's only played centrally for us. 

Baah can allegedly play both LB and CB. But only CB here, LB prior to RBNY. 

From what I've seen, Baah screams CB to me.  Same as Escobar.

We have two major problems right now.  We suck on set pieces.  We have nobody with any size who's any good offensively in the air or defensively in the air.  Normally Collin would save us there but he's obviously out.

THe other problem is that we don't have 3 CB's.   The only way we can make this current formation work is if we move Taxi to one of the 3 CB's and go with Taxi-Long-Escobar.  Perinelle is good but can't play with that much space in this system.  Murillo is not a pure defender so he doesn't work either.  And playing Taxi in the back sucks because we lose a good offensive player on the wing but it has to be done.  We have to stop giving up goals.

And if we go back to the 4-2-3-1, we're screwed because Sacha will go back to doing nothing, Royer won't have as big an impact, and Davis can't play outside.

Honestly I think we're screwed because the current formation is the only one that Sacha doesn't suck in at this point in his career.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

at least we have this. Yeah I know Royer starts and ZIzzo subs in...........

Daniel Royer will be on the 18-man gameday roster against D.C. United, Jesse Marsch said on Monday.

"We can consider him to start," Marsch said. "He's doing well. He'll be in the 18."

Royer was a "full go" in training and will make his first gameday appearance since injuring his leg at the beginning of August.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users