JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

We had fucking Juergen Klinsmann

We have Gregg Berhalter now.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
If the USMNT cant play on the east coast because the environments arent friendly enough, what hope do they have at the World Cup? They cant play those matches in Columbus, theyre going to have to go to Qatar.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

If the USMNT cant play on the east coast because the environments arent friendly enough, what hope do they have at the World Cup? They cant play those matches in Columbus, theyre going to have to go to Qatar.

The first worry is getting to Qatar.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

We have Gregg Berhalter now.

I agree that Berhalter gives off some Klinsmann-esque vibes but we have 1.875 points per game in WCQ now.  Klinsmann had 0 for 2 games when he was fired. (Arena got 1.5 ppg which wasn't enough).

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

World Cup matches aren't exactly hostile environments unless you're playing against the host, and even then they're usually way more mellow than a prominent club-level rivalry match would be.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

The first worry is getting to Qatar.

If they cant win games at RBA or MetLife bc of some away fans maybe they dont deserve to go to Qatar.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

World Cup matches aren't exactly hostile environments unless you're playing against the host, and even then they're usually way more mellow than a prominent club-level rivalry match would be.

The teams they would be playing against are certainly better than El Salvador and Honduras

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

I was actually at the USA-CR game at RBA in 2017.

My impression was that the majority of fans were CR supporters.

The CR supporters gave the CR team the momentum which increased with each goal they scored. Throughout the game CR seemed to have more hop to their steps, and more fight in them. They outplayed us and the final score (0-2) was a fair indication of that.

The USA was flat. They did not get any momentum boost from the USA fans who were outnumbered.

The referee was not influenced by either fan group, which was a negative to us because crowd support occasionally influences refs.

My conclusion- We probably would have lost the game if it was played in Anchorage. However the RBA venue did not help us, and it makes sense in the future to go to venues that have the potential to help us.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

"Deserve" is a funny word. Did Mexico "deserve" to be in the 2014 World Cup, when that last-minute US goal in a meaningless game saved them from elimination? And that's just one such example.

After the debacle of the last cycle, the US needs to do everything in its power to get an advantage in these games. Home field matters. Away support matters. Minimize it. You don't see Mexico or Costa Rica taking it easy on the US, do you? Canada played Mexico in Edmonton not because Edmonton "deserved" a game.

I don't care how they qualify, just qualify please.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I don't care how they qualify, just qualify please.

The bar should be set higher than just qualifying. Missing out on a WC was a once in a generation event and acting like everything will continue to go wrong every time is an exaggeration and does the current team a disservice. I'd prefer our chances of making it to the WC fall from 95% to 90% if going through the horror of a 50-50 crowd in a home game vs Honduras prepares the team a little better for the actual World Cup.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I was actually at the USA-CR game at RBA in 2017.

My impression was that the majority of fans were CR supporters.

The CR supporters gave the CR team the momentum which increased with each goal they scored. Throughout the game CR seemed to have more hop to their steps, and more fight in them. They outplayed us and the final score (0-2) was a fair indication of that.

The USA was flat. They did not get any momentum boost from the USA fans who were outnumbered.

The referee was not influenced by either fan group, which was a negative to us because crowd support occasionally influences refs.

My conclusion- We probably would have lost the game if it was played in Anchorage. However the RBA venue did not help us, and it makes sense in the future to go to venues that have the potential to help us.

I was actually there too, sat in 118 directly across from 101, the USA fans were not outnumbered, that's absolutely bs.

If the US doesn't shit the bed in that game the away team fan bs excuse would never have even been talked about. I'll never not find it absolutely embarrassing that they have pinned that loss on the fans. It's so embarrassing.

It's the same nonsense with Rangers fans showing up at Devils home games. Yes there's always a lot of them but the Devils fans are never outnumbered.

I won't deny that there was a decent amount and they were loud but outnumbered my ass...

https://media.gettyi...8--WpY_k2PO9WY=

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Funny, I was in 118 too. There were certainly more US fans, but the CR fans became louder and louder after their team got the lead (and especially after 2-0). 100% agree that it was just an excuse for the loss and not a reason for it, though.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

I'd prefer our chances of making it to the WC fall from 95% to 90% if going through the horror of a 50-50 crowd in a home game vs Honduras prepares the team a little better for the actual World Cup.

We 100% missed the last World Cup!
ANYTHING we can do to legally increase our odds this time is OK with me.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

I get the sentiment, just disagree with it. We'll qualify this time, no worries.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users