139 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

And I thought re-signing Rza would be good enough to hold it down this season. 

I knew Rza wasn't a complete like-for-like replacement for Adams, but was very comfortable that his quality would be enough, with some adjustment to the tactics.   So far, no bueno.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Is Armas a good coach? This game will go a long way toward answering that question.

Need the first 20 minutes v Santos game.
I think Gino Armas need to return to high press to start the game. We look best high press
Last 2 weeks we faced opponents who were desperate, had good tactics play slow out of back. We need to play faster and not like crap

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

A lot of guys are underperforming on an individual level and that's coaching.  Seen the same stuff in every sport.

BWP is a different issue because his age really suggests there could be a dropoff and this is probably it.  The team clearly prepared as well because that's why they picked up Jorgenson. 

Every other position has guys that are proven good players and a lot of them are not playing their best. That's just an issue.   It's hard to focus on anything defensively being a huge issue because we don't score goals.  Our passing has gone stupid.  When we do gain possession we used to immediately move to attack where now guys are taking safer passes.  The opposing defense has time to get in position and we don't have the offensive talent to break down an established back 6.  

And above all of that, the fight-level isn't what it should be.  The only way this all works is by challenging every ball hard and not every guy is doing that.  A player like Muyl will always do it because it's hard-coded into his brain but some of the others aren't quite there with it.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Gave up one goal against OC and an OG vs. Fire.
Defense has been chaotic, but I do not see us conceding a bunch to MNOPQRS. The failure of the offense to click is more troubling. Seeing BWP near midfield while behind is baffling to me.

This... Don't know why some are focusing big time on defense when we generate so few chances and still manage to give up few goals.  The issue is the front 4.  

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

This... Don't know why some are focusing big time on defense when we generate so few chances and still manage to give up few goals.  The issue is the front 4.  

Defense and midfield did not look incredibly solid as there were many chances including 1v1 with Robles.  

The front 4 is weak and we are not playing fast enough.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Need to end the Davis - Rza experiment. Need to try Davis - Casseres, as there are little other options. Koffi?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Not sold on Armas or his ability to be creative and flexible with his personnel/tactics to affect a change to our current form.

Will not be happy if we throw the same XI out there vs. Minny.

10/11 started regularly together last season so not being on the same page is not an valid excuse, Armas tactics must be incomprehensible

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Taking from other people and modify with

Robles
Murillo-Long-Parker-Taxi
Omir (Myul)-Kaku-Davis-Royer
Jorgensen-BWP 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Need to end the Davis - Rza experiment. Need to try Davis - Casseres, as there are little other options. Koffi?

First two USL matches Koffi wasn't a standout. This past one, I thought he played quite well.

Bezecourt has played well at the USL level as a DM.

Lema has fringe MLS talent, but not unseating Rza.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Robles
Murillo-Long-Parker-Taxi
Muyl/Omir-Kaku-Davis-Royer
Jorgensen-BWP
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Our passing has gone stupid.  When we do gain possession we used to immediately move to attack where now guys are taking safer passes.  The opposing defense has time to get in position and we don't have the offensive talent to break down an established back 6.  

I think a huge part of it is where we're winning possession on the field as teams get better and better at playing against a high press.

Makes sense that the other team never had time to get set up when we won the ball off their fullback right outside their box.

But as we saw in the Atlanta playoff series last year, and now these last two games, when teams can push us back into our half we struggle to transition back the other way. There just doesn't seem to be a clear game plan. Our CM has become a turnover factory and we don't have the motors up front to chase down long balls.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Lack of a ball-winning midfielder is starting to look like a bigger off-season oversight than a new winger. Right now we've got two 8's (Rza and Davis) playing as 6's and a 10 (Kaku) playing as an 8. Its just not a well balanced skill set out there.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

What's the deal with Casseras? There was so much talk about him being Adams replacement and he hasn't even gotten a minute yet.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

not sure why everyone is penciling in Davis as a lone D-mid in a 4-4-2.  We would get eaten alive. Did we already forget those 10 mins of the Santos game where we gave up 4x goals immediately after switching to a 1 d-mid formation?

In the modern game, you absolutely need 2 box to box mids at a minimum.  Kaku is not going to be the guy you want next to your d-mid as he will leave Davis by himself.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

What's the deal with Casseras? There was so much talk about him being Adams replacement and he hasn't even gotten a minute yet.

All of that talk came from fans who have gotten spoiled seeing the likes of Miazga and Adams take MLS by storm as a teenager, when in reality that's the exception and not the rule. I don't think anyone who watched CCJ regularly for RB2 was that confident he'd step into the lineup day 1.

If Rza and Davis keep struggling and he still can't find minutes, that'd be a little disappointing. But I'm not reading into his lack of minutes yet, that's the normal case for a 19 year old, even a talented one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users