JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Fans are finally back. Some use their 1A rights:
https://www.cbsnews....s-nashville-sc/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Fans are finally back. Some use their 1A rights:
https://www.cbsnews....s-nashville-sc/

Fans are finally back. Some use their 1A rights to criticize others for using their 1A rights. FTFY

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
https://www.npr.org/...spangled-banner

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Fans are finally back. Some use their 1A rights to criticize others for using their 1A rights.

Works both ways.
A protests. B boos A. A complains about B.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
https://atlantablack...itary-tributes/

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Works both ways.

True, so it was a good thing regulator commented, because your initial post didn't reference the players use of their 1st Amendment rights, only the fans'.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

This is going to create some weird situations.  Fans booing the home team, before the game has even begun.  And will they still make the PA announcement asking everyone to stand and remove their hat for the singing of the national anthem, when all the players, coaches and refs are kneeling?  

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Fans booing the home team, before the game has even begun. 

Many have already booed the away line-up.

will they still make the PA announcement asking everyone to stand and remove their hat for the singing of the national anthem, when all the players, coaches and refs are kneeling?  

Will they ask for everyone to take a knee?
Or to ignore or boycott the racist, oppressive anthem?

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

"As long as I'm breathing - I'll sing for the Metro!*"

*Offer not valid if players exercise their 1A rights on the field prior to the game.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
There is always the option to stop playing the national anthem at sporting events.

Would some fans be more angry with the protests or more angry that there is no anthem at all?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

There is always the option to stop playing the national anthem at sporting events.

Might be where this is headed, in some areas.

Would some fans be more angry with the protests or more angry that there is no anthem at all?

Why not both?

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

If a big 4 league had quietly decided to stop playing the anthem like, 5 years ago, I think people at games would have thought, "wait did I miss the anthem? Huh, weird," and just gone about their days.

If a league did that now, you'd probably have reactionary weirdos get up and belt out their own solo versions, while the pundit world would beat the issue so far into the ground that it would resurface in China. Then it would be another chapter in the "liberals hate America!" saga.

98% of the people who "care about the anthem" are just mad that people they think they're superior to dare to voice any opinion.

I say get rid of it in all non-national team contexts (and the Pledge of Allegiance while we're at it), but I'm a filthy liberal, so of course I'd say that.

Also, the whole argument is fucking stupid. It's a song. Who cares?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

reactionary weirdos

So, anyone who disagrees with you or holds a contrary thought is a fascist.

98% of the people who "care about the anthem" are just mad that people they think they're superior to dare to voice any opinion.

What you claim about someone else says more about you than it does about them.

I say get rid of it ... It's a song. Who cares?

Apparently you. If it bothers you, ignore it.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
One players thoughts on how some fans chose to exercise their 1st Amendment rights:

https://www.mlssocce...-dallas-players

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

One players thoughts on how some fans chose to exercise their 1st Amendment rights: https://www.mlssocce...-dallas-players

Poor Reggie. He could have said: I have First Amendment rights and so do they. I do wish they would save the boos for when I concede a penalty.
Or: My family has a long history of being oppressed by our racist society. My grandfather was denied the Nobel Prize for Science. Oh, my bad, he was awarded the Nobel Prize! Or how my parents were denied admission to medical school because of their race. Oops, they both attended Ivy League medical schools and are physicians!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users