• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Not sure where to put this, but LAFC just signed Chiellini from Juventus.  It's a TAM contract for a year and a half.  No transfer fee is reported, so I guess he's out of contract and is going to LA on a free.

On one hand, the guy's 37, has a million miles on his legs, and you wonder how much he has left in the tank.  Also, with these signings of older players, you  wonder if they're coming to MLS to compete or just to collect a paycheck and enjoy life in America.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing Chiellini and Long/Nealis/Reyes in the center of the RBNY defense for the next year and a half.  Unless Chiellini is totally done and checked out mentally, that's got to be an improvement over what we have now.  Even the impact of him mentoring the  younger guys would be worth it.

I know, signing a guy like Chiellini is not the Red Bull model, but it would have been nice to bring him here anyway.

Hard pass
Great player no need -
Improvement?
Nealis and Reyes were part of top defense last year now better with long and Reyes return
Sign Bale for 6 months as super sub or Suarez definitely

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Hard pass
Great player no need -
Improvement?
Nealis and Reyes were part of top defense last year now better with long and Reyes return
Sign Bale for 6 months as super sub or Suarez definitely

It is correct that nealis and reyes were part of a top MLS defense last year but that was more due to stuber's defensive schemes instead of nealis and reyes ability.

We play very defensive

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

It is correct that nealis and reyes were part of a top MLS defense last year but that was more due to stuber's defensive schemes instead of nealis and reyes ability.

We play very defensive

Chellini as 2nd striker great idea
Pass

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

We play very defensive

Reyes has a much higher ceiling and if he can stay healthy he will be playing in Europe or a big SA league at some point.

Nealis will never play above MLS.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Reyes has a much higher ceiling and if he can stay healthy he will be playing in Europe or a big SA league at some point.

Nealis will never play above MLS.

I 1000% agree But reyes has not been healthy. What is the point of being talented and have a high ceiling if your always injured.

We need more athletic CBS.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

I 1000% agree But reyes has not been healthy. What is the point of being talented and have a high ceiling if your always injured.

We need more athletic CBS.

lol - he broke his foot or ankle issue?  

Happens.  2nd of half is looking good - Just like 2nd half of last year

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users