458 replies to this topic

Tymatt

Tymatt

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls/MetroStars
To your comment about Veron, it's already a waste keeping him until he performs or leaves. If he's not showing up to perform I'd rather see Muyl play than Veron despite his contract. As fans there's nothing we can do about Veron's dp tag.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

To your comment about Veron, it's already a waste keeping him until he performs or leaves. If he's not showing up to perform I'd rather see Muyl play than Veron despite his contract. As fans there's nothing we can do about Veron's dp tag.

Veron did perform in the playoffs when given the chance. He was the one created a scoring chance off the high press (something we've been told he doesn't do as well as Grella or Muyl) when he won the penalty. He was the one that finally was able to take advantage of the space Montreal was just giving us in Leg 1 of the playoffs.

Tymatt

Tymatt

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls/MetroStars
I actually agree that Veron isn't all that bad of a player. I was probably one of few people happy he was playing over Grella on the shuttle heading to RBA for the Montreal match. Veron is tricky, he shows promise(examples the whole preseason, Ccl and limited usoc action he had) however he doesn't seem to impress JM to make the 11 in mls matches. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing him on the left or right next season rotating with Royer and Muyl. What I like about Veron is the fact that he has a ton of pace on the wing, creates space, and also has the knack to supply service in and outside of the box. He can't always beat defenders off the dribble though and with the injury and pressure in his life earlier this year it did take a toll on how he performed. Maybe he just doesn't have the mental capabilities to fit in within our club or mls(travel and weather) or not playing regularly has left a bad taste in his mouth and ruined his confidence. But at the end of the day I'd rather see Grella go because there's more upside to the other three wingers on the roster.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I just see this as replacing a defender with Veron up top, and playing all centerbacks, which would imply we need help scoring, which we don't.   Its something we could do in the playoffs when we are down and need to score, but not sure i see the point most of the time..

It has to be up to Veron to carve a spot out for himself, he's not a player you build your entire system around. Same exact scenario with the 4-2-2-2 which suited him best but put Kljestan in a less influential spot. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

It has to be up to Veron to carve a spot out for himself, he's not a player you build your entire system around. Same exact scenario with the 4-2-2-2 which suited him best but put Kljestan in a less influential spot. 

Could Marsch help him a little and give him 4-5 straight starts? Grella has been given that opportunity more than once.

Marsch has only panic-started Veron. He rushed to play him after the bad start and Veron was re-injured and then only started (regular season MLS) him again when Grella was suspended or when Marsch was desperate in the second home game.

I don't know what Veron is, but we need to be fair. He was as productive as Grella in a lot less minutes in the second half of the season and a lot more productive than Grella in the playoffs. He hasn't done enough to warrant guaranteed playing one like BWP or Sacha, but more than enough to platoon with Grella and he has never been afforded that.

Barcaredbulls

Barcaredbulls

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I am hoping they leave him unprotected, as Doyle suggested in the article last week.

I have seen enough. Field awareness and positional understanding is terrible.

He doesn't fit.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Something to remember about this offseason is the inclusion of two expansion teams.  Expansion teams are a great opportunity to make deals with and they have a ton of assets that could be useful to us such as allocation money.  Expansion teams correctly rate current MLS players as worthwhile acquisitions because they speed up the adjustment to MLS.  

You can probably trade a proven player like Felipe, Dax, or even Grella for more than they are worth.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Lets just drop this shit. 

Veron will be here next year. He might succeed, he might not. 

One more season though. 

Get over it. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Something to remember about this offseason is the inclusion of two expansion teams.  Expansion teams are a great opportunity to make deals with and they have a ton of assets that could be useful to us such as allocation money.  Expansion teams correctly rate current MLS players as worthwhile acquisitions because they speed up the adjustment to MLS.  

You can probably trade a proven player like Felipe, Dax, or even Grella for more than they are worth.

Dax and Felipe aren't going anywhere.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Lets just drop this shit. 

Veron will be here next year. He might succeed, he might not. 

One more season though. 

Get over it. 

This is true.  Watched Marsch on the website in an interview with Shep and he basically said as much.  Veron definitely back next year.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Dax and Felipe aren't going anywhere.

Agreed, it was more of a point to make about the current MLS situation.  

If I was running a team, I'd pay extra attention to those two teams regarding anyone they may want.  Opportunity there.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Agreed, it was more of a point to make about the current MLS situation.  

If I was running a team, I'd pay extra attention to those two teams regarding anyone they may want.  Opportunity there.

and always better to do a deal then give someone up for nothing in the expansion draft.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Barcaredbulls

Barcaredbulls

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Lighten up Francis. It is perfectly ok for me to comment on the Matt Doyle article about the subject.

Anyone who watched the Montreal game live saw Dax spend much of the first half yelling at Veron for being out of position or making wrong runs. Worst player On the team off the ball.

It was a panic start that messed with the chemistry of team in my opinion.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Lighten up Francis. It is perfectly ok for me to comment on the Matt Doyle article about the subject.

Anyone who watched the Montreal game live saw Dax spend much of the first half yelling at Veron for being out of position or making wrong runs. Worst player On the team off the ball.

It was a panic start that messed with the chemistry of team in my opinion.

They had chemistry in Leg 1? The stuff Dax was yelling at Veron for is possibly fixed from Veron playing with the first team more. What can't be fixed by that is Grella being unable to jackshit happen out wide where Montreal was daring us to play.

If Jesse doesn't want to give Veron a chance, that's cool. Then let him go and sign a DP winger that Jesse will give a chance to.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Veron gets a chance every day in practice...  Take Muyl for example.  How did he basically get the job over Sam?  Busted his ass in practice and eventually got a few minutes in games.  Then made plays in those games which actually turned into goals.

Veron has been banged up so that certainly hurt him.  Marsch said he basically expects a bigger role this year but I think it's a good thing that Marsch doesn't hand out a starting spot to anyone who doesn't show they deserve it in practice.  Sends the right message to the team and probably part of the reason this team is so good.

And everyone who plays on this team says how serious they take practices under Marsch so it's not like you can't compare those practices and games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users