Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

With those 2 not coming back, that's ~$500k in salary that opened up. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

what I like is that it seems like we will be keeping Collin next year.

No thank you.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Don't agree with Dyer that Perry was "dazzling" in the playoffs. That first Toronto goal.... oomph.

Yeah, some revisionist history in the article/this thread. DP also cost us a goal vs Montreal in the 1st leg last year (Collin was the guy closest to Mancosu and blamed for not closing quickly on him... but only because DP was so slow that he was literally not in the picture on TV).

That said, not the only guy who's struggled in playoffs, and he never should've been put in a position to be basically a full time starter this year. Good luck DP, sounds like he'll be back here sooner or later.

Shame about Baah - after paying for him to rehab over the last two years, I felt he should've been given a chance at least in offseason, possibly at a reduced salary.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Perinelle performed admirably after having serious ACL injury, but is now finished at 34 years of age - that much was obvious. Baah and Collin are both injury prone and to keep both is simply not prudent. Baah while younger, hasn't really played in two years, and Collin has game changing ability when healthy. He is still 31 and can give a couple of really good years. The injury he had does not seem to be one causing a person to slow down permanently (like ACL one by Perinelle or even Baah's leg break taking two years to heal). So, I would agree that Collin is the keeper at this time. We do need one more CB - not sure if Escobar is ready to be anything more than a back-up. I do like Long and Collin as starters though, if Collin can stay healthy.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Perinelle - Thanks for the memories but it was definitley time to move on at this point

Baah - Sad that he had to go but fair enough. Thought he had potential but just couldn't stay healthy...it happens.

Now, lets sign a stud CB. Don't want an unproven guy for cheap. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Perinelle performed admirably after having serious ACL injury, but is now finished at 34 years of age - that much was obvious. Baah and Collin are both injury prone and to keep both is simply not prudent. Baah while younger, hasn't really played in two years, and Collin has game changing ability when healthy. He is still 31 and can give a couple of really good years. The injury he had does not seem to be one causing a person to slow down permanently (like ACL one by Perinelle or even Baah's leg break taking two years to heal). So, I would agree that Collin is the keeper at this time. We do need one more CB - not sure if Escobar is ready to be anything more than a back-up. I do like Long and Collin as starters though, if Collin can stay healthy.

Collin will be 32 when we start the season and is coming off a year where he hardly played due to injury.

I dont want to take that risk unless he passes all his physical exams right now today, takes a huge pay cut and is not at all in our plans as a starter.

ig101

ig101

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Either my memory is shot, or didn't they do the same thing last offseason: announced that DP is not coming back and then resigned him in January?

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Either my memory is shot, or didn't they do the same thing last offseason: announced that DP is not coming back and then resigned him in January?

They've been stringing Perrinelle along on one-year contracts for awhile now, but have always come out and said that their preference is to bring him back. This is the first time they've hinted that they're ready to cut the cord, especially if the bit about offering him a FO role is true.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts

Every time they dropped him before, they said that they would want to bring him back.

2014: option not picked up

2015: option not picked up

2016: out of contract

2017: ?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Don't know what MLS CB's we would want or who would be available, but if we bring in someone from outside of the league, we NEED them for a full pre season.  That position seems to struggle most adapting to MLS officiating,  added to the importance of being in synch with the rest of the defense.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts

Don't know what MLS CB's we would want or who would be available, but if we bring in someone from outside of the league, we NEED them for a full pre season.  That position seems to struggle most adapting to MLS officiating,  added to the importance of being in synch with the rest of the defense.

I remember one of our beat writers a few years back suggesting that Armando had the chops to be MLS Best XI. Little did Armando know MLS refs don't take kindly to mixed martial arts during the run of play.

puhe

puhe

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Supports:metro

I would have kept DP over Collin.. isn't he cheaper?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

He is cheaper than Collin. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts

I would have kept DP over Collin.. isn't he cheaper?

Significantly so, but Collin is also a much better player. That is of course assuming Collin can bounce back and stay healthy, which is a big question mark because Plantar Fasciitis can be a bitch to get over. I've never seen a guy play as consistently without injury for so much of his career before getting hit with the injury bug as hard as Collin did this last year. And he was only 30! 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Perinelle - Thanks for the memories but it was definitley time to move on at this point

Baah - Sad that he had to go but fair enough. Thought he had potential but just couldn't stay healthy...it happens.

Now, lets sign a stud CB. Don't want an unproven guy for cheap. 

This is MLS. Proven stud CBs don't just come over to play here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users