827 replies to this topic

wabbit67

wabbit67

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Time for Marsch to go. He won his power struggle with Curtis. Very apparent ownership chose the wrong voice to listen to. This is simply not an MLS playoff caliber roster. At this point that is Marsch's fault. Plus Marsch has a set up where his best player never gets to impact the game because he is isolated against 2 or 3 defenders all game. Yeah BWP wastes chances but he also turns games when he gets his touches. In this system with this rosterr he never gets his touches.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Summer signings make or break my opinion. The needs are painfully obvious. Jesse won the popsicle measuring contest for full control. Now it's time for him to show off his scouting and signing skills.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I personally agree.  The summer transfer window is where this season will be won or lost, but honestly at this point, Marsch has been poor in player acquisitions, has questionable subs, seems to rely too much on "his guys".  What exactly is he good at?

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
He's gotta go. The road form has been appalling for too long.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
With proper management, this team should have signed a true #10. Instead we're stuck with two attackers that ride the bench (with another trailing).

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
"This team always makes decisions too quickly and there's never continuity"

We've been a very good team for 2 years in a row after the most recent change (I know), and the manager now seemingly has ultimate decision-making. We've struggled for a bit this year, sure, but it's not even been worse than last year.

"Time to rip it all up and make a huge change again"

Especially after the shitty start last season after which we still won the East, how can we be that impatient? I know we've sucked in the playoffs under Marsch, but that's why you judge him on the playoffs, not on April and May.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Ridiculously premature... Marsch is the reason this team has even been competitive these past two seasons, no way in hell he should get canned over a bad road stretch in the first three months of the season. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

"This team always makes decisions too quickly and there's never continuity"

We've been a very good team for 2 years in a row after the most recent change (I know), and the manager now seemingly has ultimate decision-making. We've struggled for a bit this year, sure, but it's not even been worse than last year.

"Time to rip it all up and make a huge change again"

Especially after the shitty start last season after which we still won the East, how can we be that impatient? I know we've sucked in the playoffs under Marsch, but that's why you judge him on the playoffs, not on April and May.

My concern with Marsch is his inflexibility. There's enough evidence that certain things don't work, but he won't change. He has his guys and his system and he sticks with both no matter what.

Who could we get that would be better than him though? He's obviously changing a little, he's been subbing early and often, maybe he can adjust more.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Disagree on Masrch's inflexibility. We saw that in his in-game management earlier this season, and he usually tries things for a couple of games and moves on (remember how many late game tactics we tried last year to try to get the right mix??). This isn't AV with the Rangers who has tunnel vision and only does the same thing over and over. 

For me the issues so far are as follows. First, we've gotten extremely unlucky in terms of goals (we are like 7 or 8 below our xG statistics). Second, we give up too many penalties and I believe we've given up the most in the league (if there is anything I fault Jesse on, it is the lack of CB depth). Third, our set piece defense has been very poor this year unlike the past two years (Jesse mentioned this as well). What is funny about the last two is that the left side of the defense in Long and Kemar is arguably the best in the league, and our right fullback play hasn't been bad either. The Long CB pairing is where we've struggled a lot this year.  

But are we really already talking about moving on from Jesse after arguably the best back to back seasons in franchise history?? I think Jesse will keep on adjusting until he recalibrates the team accordingly. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Disagree on Masrch's inflexibility. We saw that in his in-game management earlier this season, and he usually tries things for a couple of games and moves on (remember how many late game tactics we tried last year to try to get the right mix??). This isn't AV with the Rangers who has tunnel vision and only does the same thing over and over. 

For me the issues so far are as follows. First, we've gotten extremely unlucky in terms of goals (we are like 7 or 8 below our xG statistics). Second, we give up too many penalties and I believe we've given up the most in the league (if there is anything I fault Jesse on, it is the lack of CB depth). Third, our set piece defense has been very poor this year unlike the past two years (Jesse mentioned this as well). What is funny about the last two is that the left side of the defense in Long and Kemar is arguably the best in the league, and our right fullback play hasn't been bad either. The Long CB pairing is where we've struggled a lot this year.  

But are we really already talking about moving on from Jesse after arguably the best back to back seasons in franchise history?? I think Jesse will keep on adjusting until he recalibrates the team accordingly. 

Marsch has tried formation changes, but he still pretty much relies solely on the high press to generate offense.   He's never implemented anything to help break down an opposing team that is just going to bunker.  He never chooses a Starting XI based on how the game is going to play out.  Like, why is Muyl, our best defensive winger, on the bench against Patti, one of the top offensive wingers in the league?

When I say he's inflexible, I'm talking about his ideas to generate offense and his squad selection.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

Marsch has tried formation changes, but he still pretty much relies solely on the high press to generate offense.   He's never implemented anything to help break down an opposing team that is just going to bunker.  He never chooses a Starting XI based on how the game is going to play out.  Like, why is Muyl, our best defensive winger, on the bench against Patti, one of the top offensive wingers in the league?

When I say he's inflexible, I'm talking about his ideas to generate offense and his squad selection.

This makes total sense. Add to the fact that he goes out in public saying Lawrence is out best offensive weapon and he's pretty non-existent in this game. We barely attacked on left last game. We didn't look as bad as other games, but man it seems we keep getting out coached.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We have a different look this year, much slower and more methodical in the build up, but I don't know if that's because Marsch is using the early season to try out something new or if our midfield is just getting old. Maybe a little of both, but they look like they're intentionally taking their foot off the pedal instead of getting the ball forward. 

Is there really a system that specifically breaks down a team defending deep? I think that's more personnel related than anything. You either need some size to throw around in the box, or someone creative enough to pull off some magic. Marsch has thrown a slew of different formations at teams doing this late in games over the past few years, nothing ever clicked.

This makes total sense. Add to the fact that he goes out in public saying Lawrence is out best offensive weapon and he's pretty non-existent in this game. We barely attacked on left last game. We didn't look as bad as other games, but man it seems we keep getting out coached.

Made sense to play down Piatti and Oyongo's side since you knew they'd get caught up field at least a few times. And they did, we just did jack squat with the chances cause we suck on the counter right now.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

We have a different look this year, much slower and more methodical in the build up, but I don't know if that's because Marsch is using the early season to try out something new or if our midfield is just getting old. Maybe a little of both, but they look like they're intentionally taking their foot off the pedal instead of getting the ball forward. 

Is there really a system that specifically breaks down a team defending deep? I think that's more personnel related than anything. You either need some size to throw around in the box, or someone creative enough to pull off some magic. Marsch has thrown a slew of different formations at teams doing this late in games over the past few years, nothing ever clicked.

Made sense to play down Piatti and Oyongo's side since you knew they'd get caught up field at least a few times. And they did, we just did jack squat with the chances cause we suck on the counter right now.

Agaibst bunkering teams it probably is more personnel. We don't have that Alan Gordon guy and the many think is our best 1v1 player, Grella, can't beat defenders when they're sitting back.

And Muyl has probably been more effective offensively than Grella this season. Starting him would have both.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
I'm ok with Marsch and his tactics.

I just don't think NY has the talent to execute it.

I think with better wingers this is a completely different situation.

Watching BWP imo he's so complete of a player right now. Winning long balls, dishing it to teammates, and they do nothing with it and he doesn't get good service.

NYRB have to splurge on two wingers that can play the press well and get the ball to BWP in scoring position.

I suggest Andrés Ibargüen of Atlético Nacional and Jeison Lucumi of America de Cali...

I remember saying years ago Piatti would be a good pick up for any MLS team. I wasn't wrong. I'm not wrong about these two.
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Except for the poetic justice aspect, there is no reason to flip the organization over again.
Has any other MLS franchise had more head coaches than us?
https://en.m.wikiped..._Soccer_coaches

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users