422 replies to this topic

reyes7

reyes7

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Supports:rbny

Franco Panizo on Twitter: "And wouldn’t you know it. Kaku has delivered an assist on the opener in his Al-Taawoun debut. Sublime cross from the left flank in the first half. #RBNY #MLS https://t.co/1I4mQcovni" / Twitter

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts
  • Supports:Metro
This is looking much worse for Ham Sandwich the longer it goes on.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,039 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

1000% as soon as this is resolved (either way) he will choose to pursue other opportunities and/or spend more time with his family.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,151 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The news for him hasnt been great but hamsanwich and rbny need to drag this out to vindicate themselves.

Having said that... although I think rbny and ham sandwich are in the right... it was their choosing to play in this grey area of the law. I dont see how rbny's general counsel or hammy survive this..

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,039 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The news for him hasnt been great but hamsanwich and rbny need to drag this out to vindicate themselves.

Having said that... although I think rbny and ham sandwich are in the right... it was their choosing to play in this grey area of the law. I dont see how rbny's general counsel or hammy survive this..

Do we even have a general counsel?     I can't think any minimally competent attorney wouldn't have paid closer attention to the "If to" notifications language in the contract.  That's just basic 101 attorneying.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,860 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Do we even have a general counsel?     I can't think any minimally competent attorney wouldn't have paid closer attention to the "If to" notifications language in the contract.  That's just basic 101 attorneying.

I thought someone buried deep within this thread mentioned that Red Bull hired a general counsel a few years ago

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Kari Cohen was hired Jan 27 2020, Hamlett sent Pearson the e-mail a month later Feb 28 2020

https://www.newyorkr...general-counsel

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,301 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Kari Cohen was hired Jan 27 2020

RBNY seems a step down from BSE.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Kari Cohen was hired Jan 27 2020, Hamlett sent Pearson the e-mail a month later Feb 28 2020

Her expertise seems to be more stadium/branding stuff than player contracts, but that doesn't mean much. 

It seems clear to me that Kaku and company were aware that the option was exercised, but are trying to find a loophole after the Tijuana transfer didnt work out.

I would imagine that if RB 1) document that Kaku was aware and approved of Pearson acting as his defacto agent and 2) document that Kaku had to have been aware that his contract option was triggered, then an arbiter would side with RBNY. Those things should exist. 

Its a little concerning that RB was only apparently able to provide the MLSPA one email while knowing that MLSPA agreement was a key component in their argument. I would provide any shred of evidence indicating the above two points. I wonder if the CBA negotiation (and maybe the perception that the MLSPA caved in order to keep full salaries) might play a role. MLSPA might want to prove their strength on this issue, where the MLS has very little leverage.   

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,151 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Her expertise seems to be more stadium/branding stuff than player contracts, but that doesn't mean much. 

It seems clear to me that Kaku and company were aware that the option was exercised, but are trying to find a loophole after the Tijuana transfer didnt work out.

I would imagine that if RB 1) document that Kaku was aware and approved of Pearson acting as his defacto agent and 2) document that Kaku had to have been aware that his contract option was triggered, then an arbiter would side with RBNY. Those things should exist. 

Its a little concerning that RB was only apparently able to provide the MLSPA one email while knowing that MLSPA agreement was a key component in their argument. I would provide any shred of evidence indicating the above two points. I wonder if the CBA negotiation (and maybe the perception that the MLSPA caved in order to keep full salaries) might play a role. MLSPA might want to prove their strength on this issue, where the MLS has very little leverage.   

I wonder what the conversation was like between rbny and MLS. This issue might be a pawn to the MLS v MLSPA drama.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
Kaku scored a goal today. Here's to hoping he performs well and we get more money for him.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT
Hamlett sucks for many reasons, but not gonna go crazy blaming him over this. At arbitration (the results of which we will learn little about, probably, given the nature of arbitration), Im sure the arbitrator will find that this guy Pearson was Kakus agent and that Kaku effectively had notice that the option was exercised. Still, its sucks that this happened because it gave Kaku the opportunity to pull this stunt.

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Hamlett sucks for many reasons, but not gonna go crazy blaming him over this. At arbitration (the results of which we will learn little about, probably, given the nature of arbitration), Im sure the arbitrator will find that this guy Pearson was Kakus agent and that Kaku effectively had notice that the option was exercised. Still, its sucks that this happened because it gave Kaku the opportunity to pull this stunt.

I tend to agree that arbitration will find Kaku was notified, but still looks a touch crappy on the org. The contract notification procedure should not be a unilateral email to a third party... Need to get acknowledgement from the player. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I tend to agree that arbitration will find Kaku was notified, but still looks a touch crappy on the org. The contract notification procedure should not be a unilateral email to a third party... Need to get acknowledgement from the player. 

Ive never dealt with the paperwork for a multimillion dollar player, but if I did Id be extremely careful to dot my Ts and cross my Is.

;)

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

An option is by definition a unilateral contract, so there does not need to be any consent, acknowledgement or agreement. Further, the club is probably prohibited from contacting players directly about contract matters when the player is repped by an agent. Im sure there are probably MLS rules about this, if I had to guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users