15 replies to this topic

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,952 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Brian Lewis with a great piece on Tony Tchani. Sounds like Carl Robinson has really helped mentor this kid which is great to see. Remember, Robinson did a great job with M. Edu turning him into an All-Star caliber player.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Dave Martinez

Dave Martinez

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,107 posts
  • Supports:Soccer in New York

Brian Lewis with a great piece on Tony Tchani. Sounds like Carl Robinson has really helped mentor this kid which is great to see. Remember, Robinson did a great job with M. Edu turning him into an All-Star caliber player.

Called it! :)

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,465 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
So the european/non-MLS coach, the foolish "loud factor" first pick, and the has been, never really any good Toronto reject all combining to deliver impressive stuff. How can this be?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

YouSuckCorrales

YouSuckCorrales

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York
I heard that Tchani has been lazy and unmotivated in training :lol:

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,303 posts
  • Supports:Metros

So the european/non-MLS coach, the foolish "loud factor" first pick, and the has been, never really any good Toronto reject all combining to deliver impressive stuff. How can this be?

You clearly don't understand the arguments that were made in each case.

Anyway, good news that Tchani has turned this corner. It happened far more rapidly than I had hoped, and he's certainly looked the part on the field the last couple times he's played.

kmb499

kmb499

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull NY, Everton
:cheers: <---- Here's to a speedy recovery for Robinson! It will be great to see Tchani get the start though...

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,952 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Anyway, good news that Tchani has turned this corner. It happened far more rapidly than I had hoped, and he's certainly looked the part on the field the last couple times he's played.

If he had a motor like Lindpere, he'd be one of the best midfielders in the league. That's the quandry. Can he develop... we shall see.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,844 posts
This mentor stuff is interesting. How much of a factor is it? Ream keeps saying how important it has been to have Petke guiding him/pushing him. With our facing SJ tomorrow, I got to thinking yesterday about Ike Opara, who has gotten some positive press. If we had picked Opara with #2 instead of Tchani, we could have had two interesting rookie CB's.

But the question is, would Ream be developing the way he has if it was Opara next to him instead of Mike? On the one hand you dream about two young studs, one more technical, but the other more athletic and way faster than Petke. On the other hand you wonder if they would be accentuating each other's shortcomings, rather helping each other grow?

Don't know the answer, but glad to see Tchani is paying attention. Hopefully we did the right thing by spreading our picks (and academy signings) around the different positions.

Note: This is not a "should we have drafted Opara instead of Tchani" opener. Let's save that as a seperate thread. (For the record I preferred Tony over Ike.)

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,465 posts

I understand them completely, thank you, and they have been proven (or appear to be in the process of being proven) without merit.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,465 posts

But the question is, would Ream be developing the way he has if it was Opara next to him instead of Mike?

I doubt we would have used to early picks for CB's. Had we picked Opara, we likely wouldn't have gotten Ream.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,762 posts
great read and i never thought about the Robinson-Edu relationship before. It gets you thinking about what Agudelo is learning from JPA (and potentially Henry).

I remember reading a while back that Jozy credits JPA a lot in his development.

After that Philly USOC game you could get the feeling we may have something special with Tchani. he's not out of the woods yet and has a lot to learn but recent games are canceling out the imagine i have of him slothing around vs. Rutgers.

If the ZeRoberto deal happens he'll have one more proven vet to learn from.

as a side note, i bet Philly signs Robert Pires mostly to set an examle for the children they drafted

5 year plan

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,844 posts

I doubt we would have used to early picks for CB's. Had we picked Opara, we likely wouldn't have gotten Ream.

It was a hypothetical that WE HAD gotten both. <_<

St. Amado

St. Amado

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
Always been a fan of geezer/youngster pairings.

Also, what's with some of the Robinson-bashing I see around? He was always decent for TFC.

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:metro
NAMBLA belongs somewhere in this thread. :blink:

And Olsen didn't turn DC into a bunch of whining, diving.. oh, nevermind

-MetroSquard

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts
  • Supports:My local MLS team

NAMBLA belongs somewhere in this thread. :blink:

Who do you think we are? Philly?
Loyal supporter of the 2013, 2015, and 2018 MLS Champions: RBNY/Metro
RBNY II aka "The Baby Bulls" are the 2016 USL Cup Champions!
Playoffs are stupid in soccer and I don't care if that hurts your feelings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users