Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT
I posted this in one of the other NY2 threads:

http://www.bigapples...rticle_id=32600

Peter Vallone, who may be the next Queens borough president, doesn't see why MLS needs its own stadium when taxpayer funded Citifield is right there.

Also, he wants NY2 to be named after the borough it plays in, like the Brooklyn Nets. I wonder if Seamus O'Brien and his partners would go for the Queens Cosmos?

MetroCosmos

MetroCosmos

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, Cosmos and US Soccer

I posted this in one of the other NY2 threads:

http://www.bigapples...rticle_id=32600

Peter Vallone, who may be the next Queens borough president, doesn't see why MLS needs its own stadium when taxpayer funded Citifield is right there.

Also, he wants NY2 to be named after the borough it plays in, like the Brooklyn Nets. I wonder if Seamus O'Brien and his partners would go for the Queens Cosmos?

"Queens" soccer club = $
"New York" soccer club = $$$$$

Sponsorships, fanbase, revenue, etc. Peter Vallone doesn't know what he's talking about (well except for getting votes from Queens residents) in terms of sports business.

It's the same reason why the NJ Red Bulls will always use NY...$$$$.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,753 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Peter Vallone ... wants NY2 to be named after the borough it plays in, like the Brooklyn Nets. I wonder if Seamus O'Brien and his partners would go for the Queens Cosmos?

The Astoroids?
The QueenMos?
FC Flushing Cosmos?
The Mighty Cosmos of Queensborough?
The Mighty Mighty Whitestones?
The Long Island City Fielders?
The Long Island Sounders?
The Seven Liners?
The Rikers Hardtimers?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,975 posts
  • Supports:Metro & USA
FC QU

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

The Astoroids?
The QueenMos?
FC Flushing Cosmos?
The Mighty Cosmos of Queensborough?
The Mighty Mighty Whitestones?
The Long Island City Fielders?
The Long Island Sounders?
The Seven Liners?
The Rikers Hardtimers?

The Queens of Corona.

BillFromAstoria

BillFromAstoria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Liverpool, US, SUNY Purchase

FWIW, Brooklyn is a city (or, at least it was until consolidation in 1898). If counted by itself, Brooklyn would be the fourth largest city in America behind the other four boroughs, Los Angeles, and Chicago.

Queens was—and still is—a county comprised of small hamlets and villages. That's why if you live in Queens, your mail is addressed "Flushing, NY" or "Jamaica, NY." No matter where you live in Brooklyn your mail is addressed "Brooklyn, NY". (The same goes for Manhattan and the Bronx, not sure about S.I.)

Brooklyn has more of an identity as a city, having been a thriving one for a good 150-200 years before consolidation. Queens County was sparsely populated until consolidation, and only began to boom once the subways were built out there.

METRO T-SHIRTS!

1996NY.com

Even the losers get lucky sometimes.

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos
That whole line of political grandstanding is going nowhere. It would take no less than 10 minutes in a meeting with MLS for him to be expalined exactly why a deal to play at Citi field is a non-starter for MLS.

MLS would sooner pull up shop and forget all about MLS in the boroughs than committ itself to a doomed deal financially as a tenant of a thrid party business that operates a baseball team in a baseball stadium.

Also i am quite sure MLS isn't going to let some Queens pol pull a Zoffinger and dictate to them what a team will or will not be named.

They only way MLS ever sets foot inside Citi Field is if they get their wn stadium deal approved and started and Citi is willing to host the team temporarilyy for a season or two until the actual SSS is completed.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users