Was this last game for Robles as #1 goalkeeper?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Has Robles played his last game as #1 keeper (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Has Robles played his last game as #1 keeper

1. yes time for Meara to take the #1 spot (8 votes [22.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

2. no mid 30's goal keepers still have juice in tank (18 votes [51.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.43%

3. no wait to make decision after preseason ends to see if ichange must be made (9 votes [25.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

blank25

blank25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Supports:red bulls

Saw interesting article where the embrace of BWP and Robles after the stunning loss to Union implied that this was last game for Robles as #1.  Also said that BWP wasn't finished as RB #1 striker but was limited this year by nagging groin injury. 

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

They have way too much $ tied up in keepers. Meara has better distribution and has been a super loyal soldier waiting his turn. I love Luis but something's gotta give.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

They have way too much $ tied up in keepers. Meara has better distribution and has been a super loyal soldier waiting his turn. I love Luis but something's gotta give.

I'm no fan of Meara but I agree that there's too much money tied up in keepers.

Keeper is a position that is only an issue if you have a bad keeper.  I feel like we should be able to get a decent keeper for a lot less money.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Saw interesting article where the embrace of BWP and Robles after the stunning loss to Union implied that this was last game for Robles as #1.  Also said that BWP wasn't finished as RB #1 striker but was limited this year by nagging groin injury. 

wouldn't surprise me at all.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Build a statue for Robles as well. Legend. Always.

That being said...this is going to be an unpopular opinion but...Robles and BWP have been leading the team for YEARS...and have suffered a LOT of horrible post season defeats. Im not blaming them for all that, not at all, but I think its time for someone else without that kind of baggage to come in for both of them.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I like Robles a lot but if he does stay I really don't want him to be captain anymore. I don't think he's a bad captain or anything I just don't like keepers as captains. The captain needs to be able to chat with the ref easier and Robles even got a yellow at one point this season for delay of game I believe cause he was trying to go across the field and talk to the ref (my memory on this exact situation is iffy but I remember it happening at some point)

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Robles is on 500k or thereabouts. Thought Meara was at 175, but 130? Very cap friendly. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Anyone know his current contract situation? Looks like his last one was signed in 2017, which might put us on an option year.

Its a tough call with Robles, he's getting old, there was a noticeable drop in his play this year, and he's very expensive. But at the same time, as a keeper I think he's got a better chance of a bounceback season than a guy like BWP.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
I see no reason to move on from Robles and I honestly wouldn't move on from BWP just yet. I wouldn't keep all my eggs in one basket but this year isn't a fair indicator for either

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I agree no reason to move on from Robles. He's still a top 5 gk in MLS. And gk's dont tend to fall off a cliff as they get older like field players do. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

I see no reason to move on from Robles and I honestly wouldn't move on from BWP just yet. I wouldn't keep all my eggs in one basket but this year isn't a fair indicator for either

100% agree. I know this club operates on a shoestring budget, but Robles at his current salary is still a bit of a bargain.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
Robles is the last of our worries. You dont ditch a top 5 mls gk for the sake of ditching him.

5 year plan

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
If this would be to happen., wed probably sign some 18 year old from Luxembourg... only for him to end up sucking too

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, RU

I wouldn't move on from Robles just for the sake of moving on, but I don't think he should be the automatic starter anymore, like I think he has been for the past few years.  This year (and I think last year) he has been very good, and maybe "the least of our worries".  He's made most of the saves that he should make, but also doesn't make many of the very difficult saves.  I remember with Meola or Howard there were so many matches where I though "wow, he really kept us in the game". That said, it's hard to put a value on leadership and respect, which he definitely has.

For a season as bad as DCU has had, the USOC title is whipped cream on shit ~~ VOR II

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

300k in cap space is enough for a player to be the CDM we need.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users