Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, MLS & USMNT

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:10 AM

2009 Edition

think we can use a new one.

according to Nick Green: G's and Goats looking at Ecuadorian central defender Jorge Guagua (28)

#2 MattJack

MattJack

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Sports and Women.
  • Supports:Galaxy, AC Milan, Italy, USMNT

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:23 AM

Interesting little bit of trivia: If he signs with the G's how much does he hate goldenballs?

* WC06: A second half free kick from David Beckham was the only goal of the game, which eliminated Ecuador from the World Cup.

#3 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:04 AM

Answer: Enough to be loved by us*
*unless he signs for Chivas and then...
Answer:How dare he hate him
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#4 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

2009 Edition

according to Nick Green: G's and Goats looking at Ecuadorian central defender Jorge Guagua (28)

That's sounds promising, but I think the G's need to find a Colombian defender in the vein of Jamison Olave, Jon Kennedy Hurtado, and Wilman Conde....
Seems like defender's from that particular region fare well in MLS.

Also, Goff has this little bit thrown into a blog post:

Meantime, I hear some young Brazilian prospects might be on the way to the Galaxy this offseason.

Alvaro Pires back to the G's?!? :o

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

#5 Ben7

Ben7

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, MLS & USMNT

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:27 AM

I was just thinking about what the FO can do regarding the G's players trade value, since they don't want to give away our best and most valuable talents.

solution: sign foreign players. G's have enough free INT spots and new to MLS guys could also be paid with allocation money.

no more Pires or Dominguez or Babayaro ...

#6 The Manwich

The Manwich

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,001 posts
  • Interests:Live Slow, Die Whenever
  • Supports:Slap & Pickle FC

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:13 PM

We need someone to start replacing Berhalter.

#7 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:18 PM

We need someone to start replacing Berhalter, and Lewis, and Klein

FYP
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#8 The Manwich

The Manwich

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,001 posts
  • Interests:Live Slow, Die Whenever
  • Supports:Slap & Pickle FC

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:22 PM

FYP

Oh yeah. Forgot about those other 2. But I mean Guaga could be a good replacement. Lewis and Klein, we could probably pick up something in the draft. Michael Stephens and Kyle Nakazawa would be good. Naka, played for Legends...so I know he'd be a good replacement. There is also Mike Farfan who's playing at UNC.

#9 dhines

dhines

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, USMNT, Cruz Azul, USC

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

as for the brazilian prospects . . .

one requirement, lets make sure that anyone we go after isn't nick-named after a slow moving animal. for example . . . a buffalo.

#10 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:20 PM

2009 Edition

Interesting video. His two greatest strengths defensively appear to be reading the game and tough sure tackling. He has ball skills, but I didn't see any long passes of quality (the kind the G's like to play more than 60% of the time). Not once in the video did he find a forward with a pass. I was less than impressed by his ability in the air. When he has a free header he does well enough, but under pressure (particularly moving backward) he appears to be average, not as good as Franklin, Omar or Beerholder, and perhaps not as good as Dunivant. That could be a problem. He needs to play against the likes of McBride, Casey, Twellman and Ching, before we tell if he can hack the aerial game in the MLS.

#11 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

Interesting video. His two greatest strengths defensively appear to be reading the game and tough sure tackling. He has ball skills, but I didn't see any long passes of quality (the kind the G's like to play more than 60% of the time). Not once in the video did he find a forward with a pass. I was less than impressed by his ability in the air. When he has a free header he does well enough, but under pressure (particularly moving backward) he appears to be average, not as good as Franklin, Omar or Beerholder, and perhaps not as good as Dunivant. That could be a problem. He needs to play against the likes of McBride, Casey, Twellman and Ching, before we tell if he can hack the aerial game in the MLS.

Not to mention he is listed at 5 foot 10.5 inches... <_<

Seems like he would be better suited as a ball winning defensive-mid, but may lack the passing skills to get the ball to the wings or frontmen...

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

#12 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

Meh. Everybody always gets hyped up on foreign signings.

And I always ask, if they're so hot, why are we the only ones who want to sign them?

I asked that about Birchall.

#13 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:00 PM

And I always ask, if they're so hot, why are we the only ones who want to sign them?

Excellent point. Birchall will have a full preseason with the club this year. Then we'll know whether the signing was worth the money. From my perspective, the jury is still out. I actually more impressed with Birchall than I am with what I see in this video. It doesn't show me the all around quality in the player to the same level I saw in the Birchall videos. I think Bruce will see it that way as well. We shall see. Bruce seems to like to track players for a while before making a decision.

#14 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

Some of the better players that Pachuca has ever signed have been drifters + journeymen.

A lot of times it's not the players, it's the system(s). There are players whose specific set of skills are very unique and often find themselves unable to completely fit into any set system for long periods of time. A lot of times it's players who play one position only to realize that they are probably better suited for another. Or it could just be lazy bastards who haven't put in the effort yet (often because they haven't been pushed.)

Then there are situations when you're a good player but there's just a better one in front of you, so you spend a couple of years on the bench.

#15 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

I like that Bruce let's people have time to settle in, and I do hope Birchall gels. And it makes sense that any one of them can be a matter of the right skills, right system, right timing, etc...

I just don't get excited about any of the obscure ones because they seem like complete crapshoots no matter what youtube says. If it works out awesome, but historically we shouldn't expect anything at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users