125 replies to this topic

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

If it's a trophy and we can win it, I want to win it. We have the depth to be competitive in all competitions.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Everton

It's why winning the Shield is important, if you're good enough, you can host the final. 

Also, it doesn't automatically qualify us for CCL, but apart from winning MLS/Open cup, doesn't it give us the best chance to get into CCL if we win it?  Especially if teams ahead of us on the CCL qualification table win other stuff? 

It's based on the table over 2 years including this year. 

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,280 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

didn't know that part. the team has the depth at certain positions to win the remaining domestic trophies. after saturday, there are no remaining talking heads that are saying we aren't amongst the top 4 in the league.

period. statement game.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, and Glenn Stampiglia

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,779 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

statement game.

It sure was.
What remains, is for us to continue playing like we did, both at home and on the road. There was a lot of emotion in the FC game, both on the field and in the stands. We need to come out and jump on teams, creating turnovers and producing goals. This is the way we can play. This is the way Jesse wants us to play. Young, fast, hard.
We see what happens when we dont do this. 0-0, or 1-0 losses. No more! Go get em!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,786 posts

It sure was.
What remains, is for us to continue playing like we did, both at home and on the road. There was a lot of emotion in the FC game, both on the field and in the stands. We need to come out and jump on teams, creating turnovers and producing goals. This is the way we can play. This is the way Jesse wants us to play. Young, fast, hard.
We seen what happens when we dont do this. 0-0, or 1-0 losses. No more! Go get em!

I was blessed to grow up in Wisconsin during the Lombardi glory years. The Packers didn't win every game, but they only lost to the good teams, not the bottom feeders. They took every game as a statement game. Now MLS and soccer in general will not allow teams to have that kind of dominance due to salary cap/parity, etc., but we should have a stream of "statement" games. They have to bring it again and again. Being called a top 4 team 1/3 into a regular season means nothing. Proving it is what matters. We have the depth to give guys a rest and still be highly competitive each and every game. But i don't even want to rest on that, I am hoping the brain trust is eyeing a summer DP arrival to benefit not only this year but next year, as well.

robs0650

robs0650

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Supports:red bulls

Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but Royer isn't in his top form and maybe he just needs to rest a match. Maybe let Etienne or Muyl start. And if anything have Royer come off the bench... It could also be seen as a positive that NYRB has won despite Royer not at his best cuz it can only get better if BWP, Kaku and Dani are at their best at the same time

I agree , I love Royer , hard worker,physical player but he seems to be off his game. Muyl  also seems to be somewhat off , watched him in RB2 game. maybe

Etienne should start.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Don't think Etienne will start though because I think he's basically taken that role of BWP backup.  And to be honest, he's looked pretty good doing it.

Royer is a good player, he's proven it.  Keep throwing him out there. Especially considering he just got that goal.

----------BWP

Royer--Kaku---Valot

---Adams--Davis

Taxi Parker Long Murillo

Usual lineup.  We are on the road so will play a bit worse.  Also a bit worse because of the natural let down from the NYC game.  Still, that easily beats Colorado outside of some fluky stuff.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

It sure was.
We see what happens when we dont do this. 0-0, or 1-0 losses. No more! Go get em!

Agreed, but the way City played (out of the back, through the middle) really helped our cause.  Similar to how Man City can break premier league records and yet still continually get destroyed by a fourth place Liverpool.

It still remains to be seen if we can beat teams that bunker, like Chivas did.  I'm hopeful, that with Kaku, we have the kind of player that can break through bunkers and create QUALITY scoring chances without getting turnovers from the press.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Agreed, but the way City played (out of the back, through the middle) really helped our cause.  Similar to how Man City can break premier league records and yet still continually get destroyed by a fourth place Liverpool.

It still remains to be seen if we can beat teams that bunker, like Chivas did.  I'm hopeful, that with Kaku, we have the kind of player that can break through bunkers and create QUALITY scoring chances without getting turnovers from the press.

Chivas didn't bunker. They just got outplayed.  Chivas plays a crazy man to man style that doesn't allow them to bunker. 

A good example of bunkering will be the 26th against Philly.  Philly was even bunkering last night against Columbus which shocked me because PHilly was home.

And for what it's worth, there is no secret to beating bunkering teams.  It's the same reason Barcelona loses at times against bunkering teams.  It's the reason those teams bother bunkering in the first place.  It gives them a shot if they have any ball-luck.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts

Chivas didn't bunker. They just got outplayed.  Chivas plays a crazy man to man style that doesn't allow them to bunker.

They played man-to-man, but they also stayed back. Maybe not a true bunker, but Chivas were careful not to let the press beat them and were comfortable being on the back foot, absorbing pressure, and not allowing too many QUALITY chances.

And for what it's worth, there is no secret to beating bunkering teams.  It's the same reason Barcelona loses at times against bunkering teams.  It's the reason those teams bother bunkering in the first place.  It gives them a shot if they have any ball-luck.

There are ways to beat a bunker. You can take shots from distance and hope the ball pinballs through the defense. You can have guys with speed and 1v1 skills try to dribble through. You can send launch in high crosses and try to win headers. In the past, weve never taken a lot of shots from outside the box. Nor has Marsch played guys that had both speed and 1v1 ability. And, although BWP is amazing, winning headers in a crowd is probably not his strong suit.

Does any of that guarantee you score and win? No, but its your best shot against bunkered teams. What definitely doesnt work against bunkered (or man-to-man) teams is pressing. Weve seen that enough to know.

I have hope that with Kaku playing and maybe guys like Davis and Adams more willing to shoot, were better positioned to do well against teams like Colorado.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,381 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

They played man-to-man, but they also stayed back. Maybe not a true bunker, but Chivas were careful not to let the press beat them and were comfortable being on the back foot, absorbing pressure, and not allowing too many QUALITY chances.

There are ways to beat a bunker. You can take shots from distance and hope the ball pinballs through the defense. You can have guys with speed and 1v1 skills try to dribble through. You can send launch in high crosses and try to win headers. In the past, weve never taken a lot of shots from outside the box. Nor has Marsch played guys that had both speed and 1v1 ability. And, although BWP is amazing, winning headers in a crowd is probably not his strong suit.

Does any of that guarantee you score and win? No, but its your best shot against bunkered teams. What definitely doesnt work against bunkered (or man-to-man) teams is pressing. Weve seen that enough to know.

I have hope that with Kaku playing and maybe guys like Davis and Adams more willing to shoot, were better positioned to do well against teams like Colorado.

This.    Beating the bunker takes a simple plan - score one and its over - but execution of that plan is the hard part.     

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I think set pieces is a big part of the key to scoring on bunkered teams. Even Barca has difficulty generating A+ scoring chances from the run of play against 11 behind the ball. 

Draw fouls, get as many low percentage crosses in as possible. The more times the ball gets close the the goal, the more chances to get a luck bounce. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

I think set pieces is a big part of the key to scoring on bunkered teams. Even Barca has difficulty generating A+ scoring chances from the run of play against 11 behind the ball. 

Draw fouls, get as many low percentage crosses in as possible. The more times the ball gets close the the goal, the more chances to get a luck bounce. 

Exactly... My point has always been that it's not just simple adjustments here and there that scores against bunkering.  It's the entire reason that teams bunker in the first place.  I don't believe any coach knowingly likes to bunker. They do it because they know they can't beat the other team by playing so they try to simplify the game, limit great chances, and hope to hell that they score on one of their few chances.  I love that we never bunker.  It's awful to watch. 

But also agree big time that the biggest way to beat it is to do well on set pieces.  When teams bunker against us, we always get a bunch of corners.  Must find a way to score on a higher percentage of those corners. Problem is we don't really have the best guys in the air.  Long is OK, and Parker is really good.  Beyond that, no good options outside of Collin when we play the 3 man back line.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
You dont win many free kicks from pressing.

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Newcastle, Palermo

You dont win many free kicks from pressing.

Free kicks, no. But, plenty of corners. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users