• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,768 posts

Uhhh, Redding has tools. Thats why they made the trade. What he seems to be lacking is desire.

I don't see tools.  He's not overly athletic or fast.  He sure as hell doesn't see things happening.  I think he was one of those that was just inflated because they were young and american.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I don't see tools.  He's not overly athletic or fast.  He sure as hell doesn't see things happening.  I think he was one of those that was just inflated because they were young and american.  

Well Marsch thinks he has tools, why trade Sacha for him, if he didnt? He went to a U20 World Cup. He was good enough in 2016 for Orlando to send Collin packing. He has skills, hes just not putting them to good use.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,768 posts

Well Marsch thinks he has tools, why trade Sacha for him, if he didnt? He went to a U20 World Cup. He was good enough in 2016 for Orlando to send Collin packing. He has skills, hes just not putting them to good use.

Any decision made in 2016 by Orlando doesn't matter because it was made by Heath.  He's not the best judge of players.

And clearly they think he has tools.  Or thought he has tools.  I'm just saying from what I've watched.  I was expecting more athleticism and speed and I said that the first preseason game I watched him.   That said, Marsch clearly has a very good strike rate on players, but it's never going to be perfect.  Isn't with Vermes, or any other coach in professional sports.

I don't have much hope for him but clearly I could be wrong but that's just what I see and I come here to share my opinion. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Any decision made in 2016 by Orlando doesn't matter because it was made by Heath.  He's not the best judge of players.

And clearly they think he has tools.  Or thought he has tools.  I'm just saying from what I've watched.  I was expecting more athleticism and speed and I said that the first preseason game I watched him.   That said, Marsch clearly has a very good strike rate on players, but it's never going to be perfect.  Isn't with Vermes, or any other coach in professional sports.

I don't have much hope for him but clearly I could be wrong but that's just what I see and I come here to share my opinion. 

Im not saying I have hope for him either. I just dont see how you can evaluate his tools based on the fact his effort was so poor in the game he played. I dont remember many plays he tried to make and just failed, I thought it was more him not even attempting to make a play, playing lazy.

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa

Sample size! Remember how bad Miazga looked at first? Im counting on one of Rivas/Redding to come good and contribute.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Sample size! Remember how bad Miazga looked at first? Im counting on one of Rivas/Redding to come good and contribute.

I think I would have to go back to Taylor Graham, Kahno Smith or Juan Petrivallo to come up with a player who looked as awful as Redding did.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,768 posts

Im not saying I have hope for him either. I just dont see how you can evaluate his tools based on the fact his effort was so poor in the game he played. I dont remember many plays he tried to make and just failed, I thought it was more him not even attempting to make a play, playing lazy.

When I define tools, I should say physical tools.  There were a couple of times where he tried to open up his stride and basically make up distance on a player where the fell asleep on.  The flip of the hips and top speed weren't as good as I hoped.  Like Parker doesn't have great top end speed, but it's good enough, especially considering his first step is good.  Long has great top end speed and a pretty good first step.  Maybe his only issue is strength on his feet.  Redding didn't look quick at opening his hips, wasn't as fluid as I hoped, and his top end speed wasn't even great.   Throw on top of that, he's not very strong on his feet and he didn't seem to offer much in the air at all. Like a good other example is Kyle Duncan.  Ridiculous top end, quickness, and athleticism.  Was excited about him from day 1 because he had those tools, only was a wonder how he mentally handled things.   And physical tools aren't everything.  Some guys are so far ahead mentally with anticipation that they don't need those traits.

I have a really dumb hobby of scouting guys every year for the NFL draft so I basically just mind-numbingly watch 100s of players in games and games to try to figure out a lot of those qualities, just for a different sport.  It's stupid and I probably won't have time for it anymore with the little one but it's something I liked doing.  Predicting failure/success is always interesting. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,321 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Safe to assume Davis's new contract is reflected here? He's at $225k (compared to $110k last year) which sounds like a fair number.

Hot damn Rzat is making more than I thought, wonder if they're using TAM on him?

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

When I define tools, I should say physical tools.  There were a couple of times where he tried to open up his stride and basically make up distance on a player where the fell asleep on.  The flip of the hips and top speed weren't as good as I hoped.  Like Parker doesn't have great top end speed, but it's good enough, especially considering his first step is good.  Long has great top end speed and a pretty good first step.  Maybe his only issue is strength on his feet.  Redding didn't look quick at opening his hips, wasn't as fluid as I hoped, and his top end speed wasn't even great.   Throw on top of that, he's not very strong on his feet and he didn't seem to offer much in the air at all. Like a good other example is Kyle Duncan.  Ridiculous top end, quickness, and athleticism.  Was excited about him from day 1 because he had those tools, only was a wonder how he mentally handled things.   And physical tools aren't everything.  Some guys are so far ahead mentally with anticipation that they don't need those traits.

I have a really dumb hobby of scouting guys every year for the NFL draft so I basically just mind-numbingly watch 100s of players in games and games to try to figure out a lot of those qualities, just for a different sport.  It's stupid and I probably won't have time for it anymore with the little one but it's something I liked doing.  Predicting failure/success is always interesting. 

I know you meant physical tools. And, I agree he didnt show anything in that game, it just looked more like lack of effort than anything else.

Even given your NFL scouting history and your (limited) time seeing Redding play, Im still going to believe Marsch (and Ramos for the U20s) did more homework than you and feel Redding has the tools that could translate to MLS. Marsch has clearly overestimated Reddings heart and willingness to work hard to get the most out of said tools.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,768 posts

I know you meant physical tools. And, I agree he didnt show anything in that game, it just looked more like lack of effort than anything else.

Even given your NFL scouting history and your (limited) time seeing Redding play, Im still going to believe Marsch (and Ramos for the U20s) did more homework than you and feel Redding has the tools that could translate to MLS. Marsch has clearly overestimated Reddings heart and willingness to work hard to get the most out of said tools.

Physical tools aren't everything in every sport, just gave my thought on his.  Not only that, he's only 21 so he's probably still going to get a bit stronger and appear a bit faster.  If he gets his head around things, maybe he could turn into a good player.  Just my obviously early thoughts and I'm just someone on a computer.

Rivas does have tools though.  Great speed, great strength.  Doesn't seem to have the head for it yet and that's the reason I have more hope for him. 

SoapyDish

SoapyDish

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Arsenal

gotta figure Collin will be the odd man out next year, with Long, Parker, and Murillo splitting his salary. 

Redding needs to shape up or get out.  Way too much for someone who isn't regularly on our 18.  Would rather we sign a veteran for that amount.

Etienne definitely underpaid.  

If Valot continues his form, he's definitely underpaid too.

Agree with Etienne, but practically speaking being 22 and making 70 grand is killer lol.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,760 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

yeah, get a DP in the July window and send Rza back to 'Schland.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,760 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I love how we're 7th on Transfermarkt for Total Market Value, and we're solidly in the bottom 3rd of MLS in terms of salary expenditure over all and for our pricier players.

List of MLS teams salaries for DP players and guys who are max salary or more (~500k).

https://twitter.com/...651478462615552

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,777 posts
  • Supports:Metro

"Also, the Red Bulls work miracles." -- some guy who works for MLS.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
The miracles that this team works are the result of putting money and effort into player development, which is something that the smart organizations in this league are going to copy.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users