13 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

The miracles that this team works are the result of putting money and effort into player development, which is something that the smart organizations in this league are going to copy.

Thats what worries me about the future - what happens to us when teams much higher on the payroll scale start copying our success in player development?  In baseball, the As were ahead of the curve on sabermetrics. They had a bunch of really good seasons, but never won anything. Then mosteveryone in MLB copied them and the teams that use statistics AND have a big payroll (Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs) are winning Championships while the As hope to maybe be competitive for a Wild Card spot.

As it stands, I think were setup well because no one has the quality of our Academy or USL system, but that could change.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,290 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

we are fortunate that we are located in a fertile area for academy players, and that there are a shitload of colleges locally in which to round out the U23 squads and the USL team. 

unless the METRO NY region becomes like Buenos Aires and has 40 teams within a 90 mile radius...

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, and Glenn Stampiglia

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, MUFC, NYRB

Thats what worries me about the future - what happens to us when teams much higher on the payroll scale start copying our success in player development? In baseball, the As were ahead of the curve on sabermetrics. They had a bunch of really good seasons, but never won anything. Then mosteveryone in MLB copied them and the teams that use statistics AND have a big payroll (Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs) are winning Championships while the As hope to maybe be competitive for a Wild Card spot.

As it stands, I think were setup well because no one has the quality of our Academy or USL system, but that could change.

I still think we will have an edge for a bit with the geographical advantage we have.

The truth is NJ/NYC/Philly is up there with Dallas and Cali for best talented youth soccer.

Yeah Portland and Seattle can pour in more money but the kids might not just be there.

The thing that scares me is if ever LAG/LAFC/San Diego get a set up like ours. In 10 years that could be up there with the best in the nation.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,290 posts

Difference with SoCal, I am going to guess that even though it'll be talent rich, a fair number of those players would be willing to go south for further academy training or play LigaAscenso, like Moreno did. As much as that is a possibility in our region, it just seems that it would occur more often in SoCal. 

Look at that Guatemalan LB we just signed. Or any Mexican-American kid from SoCal, options exists dan sarf. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Look at that Guatemalan LB we just signed. Or any Mexican-American kid from SoCal, options exists dan sarf. 

Isnt this the concern? That ATL can go down to South America and start offering a bunch of kids all expense paid Academy with a private high school education?

Right now, if you had a kid good enough to project as a potential MLS level the best option would be Red Bull. Theyve shown the dedication to develop players through their early 20s and arent afraid to give guys minutes. I hope that never changes.

odsum25

odsum25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Isnt this the concern? That ATL can go down to South America and start offering a bunch of kids all expense paid Academy with a private high school education?

Right now, if you had a kid good enough to project as a potential MLS level the best option would be Red Bull. Theyve shown the dedication to develop players through their early 20s and arent afraid to give guys minutes. I hope that never changes.

How are they going to get visas for academy kids that aren't already dual nationals?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,290 posts

yeah, kids in SoCal can go south because of family connects, etc. no need for visas, etc, travel time to and from is less. 

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

How are they going to get visas for academy kids that aren't already dual nationals?

Student visas/athletic scholarships possibly. But then there's no reason RB can't match that approach and use NY proximity as a trump card.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYJ

Thats what worries me about the future - what happens to us when teams much higher on the payroll scale start copying our success in player development? In baseball, the As were ahead of the curve on sabermetrics. They had a bunch of really good seasons, but never won anything. Then mosteveryone in MLB copied them and the teams that use statistics AND have a big payroll (Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs) are winning Championships while the As hope to maybe be competitive for a Wild Card spot.

We will have to augment our comparative advantage in development with spending like a big market team to keep ahead of our competitors,something Oakland could not do. But I share your concern.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Arent student visas easier to get?

They could also poach from other MLS academies by offering more (guaranteed high school scholarship, better amenities, etc.). Academy players move up to bigger academies all the time in Europe. Valot for instance was at PSG and Monaco.

odsum25

odsum25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts

Arent student visas easier to get?

They could also poach from other MLS academies by offering more (guaranteed high school scholarship, better amenities, etc.). Academy players move up to bigger academies all the time in Europe. Valot for instance was at PSG and Monaco.

Yes, but when foreign athletes come here to train and go to private schools they aren't being brought over by a professional team's academy. Plus, FIFA has made it pretty difficult for players under the age of 18 to join foreign academies. (Free movement within the EU is the exception.) Of course it still happens, but it's not particularly easy to do.

I'm pretty sure that there are rules in place to stop teas from poaching players from other academies outside their range.

Also, getting visas for kids from Latin America in 2018 is going to be a hell of a lot more difficult than getting one for a Russian tennis player, for example.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,290 posts

For example, Casseres became official when he turned 18. We all knew he was coming, couldn't unveil him until after his 18th bd. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

We will have to augment our comparative advantage in development with spending like a big market team to keep ahead of our competitors,something Oakland could not do. But I share your concern.

I honestly think part of the reason Red Bull spends the way they do is because they frankly don't think we need to drastically increase spending to have a top contender for winning MLS Cup.  They are a corporation and with Euro soccer background value Shields more as an indication of success than most other owners would.  Last year was the first time we did not finish in the top 4 of the East since 2011 and look at that we flexed on a new DP. 

These guys strongly believe in their system and want to see it executed bottom up in the organization, but I probably am in the minority where I think if we fell far enough behind other teams, RB would fill the gaps.  

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts
Good thing for us is showing we can and will develop all sorts - Adams mines miazga type and then Long cast off and Valot Bezecourt post college. Plus we welcome back former players like Duncan.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users