37 replies to this topic

J_Benz87

J_Benz87

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Am I the only one who is happy that BWP scores damn near every game but sees that he cannot complete a pass or hold the ball to create chances for other players. The guy is  a finishing machine but In my opinion after he scores his goal he is the reason Henry never gets the ball back to score or any one else for that matter.

BWP can't beat a defender one on one for shit but tries every time, in those situations he needs to hold it and pass it. I saw clear opportunities last night for BWP to pass the ball for an assist and he tried a stupid selfish trick and lost the ball or kicked it out for a goal kick. I think per game we are missing out on at least one goal or two goals just from his inability to complete a pass.

Its almost like let him score his one goal then take him out and get some team plays going, cuz you have to start a guy who is producing a goal a game.

I realize of all the problems RBNY is having this one is low on the totem pole but its been eating at me every game.

InkedAG

InkedAG

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, Arsenal
I was thinking the same thing.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

You are not the only one who sees this.  I fully agree.  I feel like BWP would be the quintessential super sub in this league, but after watching him every week it's clear that he's good for a finishing a chance a game and that's about it.  On most teams that's fine.  On this one?  With the midfield issues we need our strikers for hold possession once in a while and we're not getting much of that from BWP at the moment.

#RedBullOut

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I realize of all the problems RBNY is having this one is low on the totem pole but its been eating at me every game.

Its pretty much the bottom... tote?  What do you call pieces of a totem pole?

His hold up play is pretty good, especially for a guy who is only 5'8".  He takes down plenty of balls with his head/chest and allows him teammates to catch up to the play, hell he does it better than Cooper did.  No, he's not much of a distributor, but that's not his job, and his passing is not so poor that its worth taking him off the field at any time unless he's absolutely gassed.  He did put a chance on a silver platter for Alexander last night, which was promptly blown.

Why do so many people here think our attack needs fixing?

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Its pretty much the bottom... tote?  What do you call pieces of a totem pole?

His hold up play is pretty good, especially for a guy who is only 5'8".  He takes down plenty of balls with his head/chest and allows him teammates to catch up to the play, hell he does it better than Cooper did.  No, he's not much of a distributor, but that's not his job, and his passing is not so poor that its worth taking him off the field at any time unless he's absolutely gassed.  He did put a chance on a silver platter for Alexander last night, which was promptly blown.

Why do so many people here think our attack needs fixing?

I disagree with the holdup play personally.  He's good for a knockdown play here or there but he has a pretty average touch and loses possession fairly frequently as well.  Sometimes we need to give our midfield a break and have the strikers hold possession.   I feel like that's where BWP struggles. 

#RedBullOut

J_Benz87

J_Benz87

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

i disagree with a lot of that too

. i understand that one goal a game should be enough to win a game but when i see one maybe two easy goals a game die just because BWP is trying to get his second goal instead of passing its disappointing. also how can you say that our attack doesn't need work we have one guy who has more goals alone than every one else combined, in my opinion that means or attack is awful and we are a one trick pony. if BWP goes down with an injury our attack is gone

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Bradley Wright Phillips is a poacher. Would it be nice if he could do hold up play, make passes, etc? Definitely. With a normal team, it wouldn't matter. Thierry Henry would be the striker up top whose job is that. Unfortunately, our midfield has exactly one guy capable of carrying the ball and making plays, so that forces Henry to go back and be glorified trequartista. And it leaves BWP up top by himself. If this team had any left mid presence, then it would push Henry up to a true forward spot. And none of this would be a problem. 

J_Benz87

J_Benz87

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

agreed

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron
If BWP were American, he'd be more hyped than Jack Mac and Wondo. Two poachers.

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

I'll agree he's not terribly creative, and doesn't seem to be focused much beyond his own opportunities...but right now he's finishing and doing his job. There's nothing wrong with his style game if it's working. IMHO it looks like Henry is content with what he's accomplished and is more interested in trying to develop a new striker and give other people opportunities. Both he and BWP are making the opposite of the same mistake. Henry is looking to dump off when he should be selfish and BWP is going for scoring opportunities when better options are available.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

i disagree with a lot of that too

. i understand that one goal a game should be enough to win a game but when i see one maybe two easy goals a game die just because BWP is trying to get his second goal instead of passing its disappointing. also how can you say that our attack doesn't need work we have one guy who has more goals alone than every one else combined, in my opinion that means or attack is awful and we are a one trick pony. if BWP goes down with an injury our attack is gone

I can say our attack doesn't need work because its working, were scoring plenty of goals even if BWP is grabbing most of them.  Every team in the league's attack would suffer immensely if their best goalscorer went down.  If the goal distribution looks bothersome then look at the midfielders who aren't scoring, its not BWP's fault that Cahill hasn't been putting away set pieces like he was last year.

wabbit67

wabbit67

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

So far this week I've read threads killing BWP and killing Cahill.  Really?  This is where our problems lie?  No player is perfect.  All have strengths and weaknesses but these are the two singled out for threads knocking them? I wish the rest of the team had their problems.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

So far this week I've read threads killing BWP and killing Cahill.  Really?  This is where our problems lie?  No player is perfect.  All have strengths and weaknesses but these are the two singled out for threads knocking them? I wish the rest of the team had their problems.

Who's killing BWP in this thread? 

#RedBullOut

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

I have no problem with having a great poacher in the lineup. You aren't going to build a roster of 11 do-everything players in this league. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

He's kind of like Carmelo Anthony at the moment. Scores a lot, but his team loses. (kind of). 

I know people focus on the missed chances, but really if we were told that he was going to have 17 goals this year- we would've signed for that in a second. He could have 20 by the all star break, and it is seen as a disappointment that our offense isn't good enough.

TH14 stresses it all of the time- the teams that win are the ones that play defense. We don't. That is a much bigger reason for why we lose than the fact that we aren't scoring enough. We're tied for 3rd in the league in goals scored. Problem is, we're tied for 4th most goals allowed. 

So, I can find things to blame BWP for, but really Lloyd Sam & Alexander both missed open looks yesterday as well. The entire team blew chances while up 1-0 to put the game away, so the result was a predictable 1-1 draw instead of what should have been a 2-0 win. 

I wish BWP's touch was more consistent, and sure- if it was Robbie Keane- he'd probably have 2 goals a game. But really, we score enough. The problem is that we're a +1 in goal differential. KC is leading the east on +9, Seattle leading the west on +11. 

I'm a lot more worried about WTF has happened to Olave & Dax than I am about BWP. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users