148 replies to this topic

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Rochester Rhinos, USMNT
I think it would be crazy to bench Royer.

Hes has had a ton of good chances in the past couple games. Sure, it is disappointing that he hasnt put one away but just getting yourself into a good scoring position is very difficult.

If Royer buried half his chances hed be leading the league in scoring. He needs to finish, thats all.

Im confident that his replacement would get like one shot a game. Ill take Royer all day.

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
If Mac Kandji could finish he’d have won the Golden Boot. Finishing is a big “if.” Hopefully Royer starts putting them away but there are no guarantees.

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

Hes has had a ton of good chances in the past couple games. Sure, it is disappointing that he hasnt put one away but just getting yourself into a good scoring position is very difficult.

If Royer buried half his chances hed be leading the league in scoring. He needs to finish, thats all.

Im confident that his replacement would get like one shot a game. Ill take Royer all day.

I just wish they would do whatever it takes to get that Voodoo hex off of him.  Maybe burn his boots, kill a chicken .... whatever!

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,562 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

He scored in the 1st 30 minutes of the Olimpia away game in February. Hasn't scored or register an assist since. I'll give him til the NYCFC game. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

People forget that goal scoring is largely based on confidence, magic, voodoo, whatever.  Royer's getting looks and eventually they'll go in.  I can't remember if it was last season or the season prior where the first 6 or 7 games BWP couldn't buy a goal.  In particular, there was a game against KC where he had like 10 shots and none went in.  People here were calling for his benching then--just like with Royer now.  Would have been a colossal mistake.  Myopia and knee jerk reactions seem to be the order of the day around here.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

People forget that goal scoring is largely based on confidence, magic, voodoo, whatever.  Royer's getting looks and eventually they'll go in.  I can't remember if it was last season or the season prior where the first 6 or 7 games BWP couldn't buy a goal.  In particular, there was a game against KC where he had like 10 shots and none went in.  People here were calling for his benching then--just like with Royer now.  Would have been a colossal mistake.  Myopia and knee jerk reactions seem to be the order of the day around here.  

You dont know whats going to get a guy back on track. Maybe sitting for 60 does it. Maybe not. I wouldnt bury Royer, but if Marsch wanted to limit him to 30 mins in hopes it lights a fire under his ass, I dont think thats a big deal.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

You dont know whats going to get a guy back on track. Maybe sitting for 60 does it. Maybe not. I wouldnt bury Royer, but if Marsch wanted to limit him to 30 mins in hopes it lights a fire under his ass, I dont think thats a big deal.

"light a fire under his ass" indicates a lack of effort.   I don't think anyway can say that about Royer's performance.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,562 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Maybe benching him for 60 is a "light a fire under his ass" in terms of finding his finishing boots. If Royer's the 1st person subbed off Grella-style at 55'-60', I'd be fine with that. If he still doesn't finish or dish assists, have him sub in and take his starters minutes  away. He can always be one of the 5 internationals on the field for USOC in the early rounds. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,752 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Myopia and knee jerk reactions seem to be the order of the day around here.

Seem to be?
From the rarefied atmosphere of the upper deck, you should realize by now that this board is flush with brilliant strategists and tacticians!
Why, I alone, with my extensive background coaching youth teams, will stack my resume against Marsch any day! I have even read a couple of books about coaching youth soccer!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,279 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Seem to be?
From the rarefied atmosphere of the upper deck, you should realize by now that this board is flush with brilliant strategists and tacticians!
Why, I alone, with my extensive background coaching youth teams, will stack my resume against Marsch any day! I have even read a couple of books about coaching youth soccer!

No right way to be a sports fan. Some guys like to play armchair coach, some guys like to tell those armchair coaches that they're idiots, some guys like to just hang around till we lose so they have something to pout about. I think we're pretty well represented across the board here.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

"light a fire under his ass" indicates a lack of effort.   I don't think anyway can say that about Royer's performance.

Fair enough. Maybe its more take the pressure off him little.

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

No right way to be a sports fan. Some guys like to play armchair coach, some guys like to tell those armchair coaches that they're idiots, some guys like to just hang around till we lose so they have something to pout about. I think we're pretty well represented across the board here.

This is the most beautiful post I've ever seen on here.

We're all miserable, but we're in this together!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,752 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

No right way to be a sports fan. ...
armchair coach ... pout

Perhaps, but there are plenty of wrong ways!
IMHO, perhaps people should think before they rant. Re-read comments, before stabbing that Add Reply black box. Even using the Edit function, on occasion.
We are all impressed with our own abilities.
I am reminded of the saying that every Italian man believes that he is the best driver in Italy, and has the most beautiful car, and should also be the coach of the national team!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

I am reminded of the saying that every Italian man believes that he... should also be the coach of the national team!

Well for the last qualifying cycle they may have actually had a point!!!
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users