• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts
Take any sports psychology course in college, play a college or pro sport and you would know thats untrue. This aint a movie bro.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Take any sports psychology course in college, play a college or pro sport and you would know thats untrue. This aint a movie bro.

Coaches get fired all the time for losing the dressing room, and the next guy gets the team playing way better immediately.

You may be right about many pros, maybe even a majority, but denying that motivation can vary for at least some players is so disconnected from reality that I have to laugh, no matter how many times you double down.

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts
100% agree with you with losing the locker room. Thats not motivation though thats managing personalities. Just look at Phil Jackson, his claim to fame wasnt motivating guys, it was managing their personalities, keeping everyone comfortable if not happy. I agree Armas probably failed there with Murillo, but motivation is not a factor

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
Seems like a distinction without a difference to me but happy to agree to disagree.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
I clearly remember Murillo being unwilling to celebrate the Supporters Shield he was involved with....shows the fact he was checked out and not motivated or connected with his teammates. In other words, good riddance....we have Duncan to displace your ass!!!

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Yeah, I just couldn't disagree more.  And I don't think any good coach would ever say that motivation means nothing.

I think you're making assumptions with the rah-rah speech stuff. I could care less about that. A lot of coaches can clearly get the most out of their players without doing that. Motivation takes many, many forms.

Personally didn't play sports in college, although I played a bunch through high school and still play a couple to this day. None of those experiences make me come to this opinion. My opinion strictly comes from watching coaches across all sports go from team to team and get the most out of guys. And then also watching some teams get a new coach with the same roster and become noticably worse.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

intrinsic v extensic motivation and managing personalities and coach can motivate but should not have to do so for extended periods (but sure comes in handy when you can give a halftime spech playing Liverpool and mix and match English and German)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Anyone who has played a sport past high school knows this take is absolute garbage. Professional athletes do not need motivation from coaches.

Did you play in college? Professionally?
If your conclusion is correct, why do we see this:
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=fLMmr2HvTwI
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=p9oGBL_QfDM

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Yes he was right to bench Murillo.

Most people here wanted to bench Murillo - more of a question was did we want to have the 3rd string guy play or not

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

I love Jesse and what he did for this team. He was fungible to different styles, starting as a more possession oriented team in 2014 and transitioning to an all out high press by the end of his tenure.

The WORST thing for RBNY was to be as successful as he was with the talent he was afforded. It set expectations and convinced people that any coach that followed him could be successful with lesser talent as long as the system was adhered to.

Now weve reached a point where that version of the system has been strayed from, and although a variant is trying to be implemented its still not entirely coherent.

Additionally, Armas hasnt even been afforded the talent we had in 2018.

There has been no replacement for Adams, no replacement for BWPs goals, regression of some players and stifled development of others. The only thing the team has seemingly succeeded at has been replacing Kemar, Murillo, and Robles with seemingly competent players.

Id argue they need both a hot shot replacement for Armas and an influx of talent, but they surely need to do at least one of those things for things to improve significantly

Completely agree that FO was absolutely incompetent replacing players. With that said, when you already lost a lot of talent, it's even more important for the coach to make best use of talent we already have. Armas has done the absolute opposite of that. Murillo is just a perfect example of Armas' incompetence. Here we have an MLS all star, Euro level type talent and an absolute scrub that belongs on USL, whom no MLS team even wants. With the team already lacking talent as you pointed out, Armas doesn't even activate the former on play-off roster, while starting the later.

This should make it very obvious that there are two major issues, not just one: lack of talent influx, as you said, and also the coach who can't make best use of existing talent.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

That was Taxi

This was really pathetic display of our FO, not just coach. Taxi wanted to stay and be captain, but he wanted more money. That was the motivation for the Euro move, but RB could have paid him here. FO chose to replace him with cheaper Seagrist. Very very sad. Pendant seems better, but still not on the same level thus far as Taxi, who was top MLS back. I was hoping that they would find a way to keep Lawrence. As a last resort pay him a bit more, it's not like we are one of the top spenders in MLS, quite the opposite, and he was one of the best players on the team. Pathetic, as simple as that.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

This was really pathetic display of our FO, not just coach. Taxi wanted to stay and be captain, but he wanted more money. That was the motivation for the Euro move, but RB could have paid him here. FO chose to replace him with cheaper Seagrist. Very very sad. Pendant seems better, but still not on the same level thus far as Taxi, who was top MLS back. I was hoping that they would find a way to keep Lawrence. As a last resort pay him a bit more, it's not like we are one of the top spenders in MLS, quite the opposite, and he was one of the best players on the team. Pathetic, as simple as that.

Looks like taxi is having problems with his new club. It was the right decision to let him go. Too much of a drama queen. And murillo has been murillo with his new club.plays well offensively but forgets to defend which is not a good trait for a defender.

Duncan and the french kid are upgrades

reyes7

reyes7

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Supports:rbny

They didn't get rid if Murillo soon enough.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
I would guess almost all Red Bull fans want a coaching change, but Borats takes are so bad he actually has people defending Armas...

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

taxi is having problems with his new club. It was the right decision to let him go. Too much of a drama queen.

I wish people would post links.
https://www.onceamet...illo-anderlecht

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users