31 replies to this topic

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
I know Thelwell has said something similar to the right fit stuff before, but I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt going into this offseason.

High level CV, sporting director in the EPL, shown he understands the identity of a Red Bull team, and has at least some no nonsense about him with the sacking of Armas.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

new cba will include a large infusion of gam and tam so not a huge deal no team will be truly strapped

nothing to do with being "Cash strapped" to sign outside players.  You just need that stuff for trades when Toye level players go for $600k.  Any amount you can gain for unused assets counts. 

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts
  • Supports:Mighty Metros

Few more hours to sign that international DP striker with one of the open roster spots!

At this point between the visa and quarantine, unless there is a late trade, we sat on the open roster spots, DP spot, international spot, just in case someone out there "fit the system".

Why wouldn't we? it's what we do.  (i feel there's a geico commercial in the making)

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Why wouldn't we? it's what we do.  (i feel there's a geico commercial in the making)

Or Farmers Insurance:

"At Red Bull New York we have seen almost everything, so we support almost anything. Even 21 years in the playoffs with only one MLS Cup appearance.

(Roll footage of losses when it matters most)

Not exactly a good playoff team, but we still support them.

At Red Bull, we know a thing or two because we have seen a thing or two.

We. Are. Red Bulls. Bomp-ba-dump, bump, bump, bump, bump."
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Supports:Metro

nothing to do with being "Cash strapped" to sign outside players.  You just need that stuff for trades when Toye level players go for $600k.  Any amount you can gain for unused assets counts. 

you can use it to cover some transfer costs pay dps down I.e long Parker royer

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

you can use it to cover some transfer costs pay dps down I.e long Parker royer

i know the rules just emphasizing that having unused assets is poor management.  Thelwell has done a lot of right things but that was a mistake.  whether teams aren't cash strapped, or sitting on a chest of funny money doesnt change this fact.  On 10/9, 10/15, and 10/19  SKC and Montreal traded 2020 international slots for GAM.  No reason for us not to do the same. 

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

i know the rules just emphasizing that having unused assets is poor management.  Thelwell has done a lot of right things but that was a mistake.  whether teams aren't cash strapped, or sitting on a chest of funny money doesnt change this fact.  On 10/9, 10/15, and 10/19  SKC and Montreal traded 2020 international slots for GAM.  No reason for us not to do the same. 

unless they wanted the flexibility then decided this was a poor time to invest in an international talent still think it was something they had to take and would have been fine not using. As far as not selling it Montreal slot was for 2020-2021 the skc one was to DC who likely didnt want to do business with us if they could avoid it and that was the market.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

unless they wanted the flexibility then decided this was a poor time to invest in an international talent still think it was something they had to take and would have been fine not using. As far as not selling it Montreal slot was for 2020-2021 the skc one was to DC who likely didnt want to do business with us if they could avoid it and that was the market.

Montreal slot was just for 2020

https://www.impactmo...medium=referral

but agree to disagree. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
2nd lowest transfer window grade out of 26 teams.
https://www.mlssocce...ndow-tom-bogert

@CurseofCaricola

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,263 posts

2nd lowest transfer window grade out of 26 teams.
https://www.mlssocce...ndow-tom-bogert

Credibility lost with: "Tom Barlow continue[s] to contribute"

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

Mls is one of the leagues just due to the amount of teams it's really not possible to keep up with and watch every teams games.

So I'm sure the writer just saw he's started a few in a row and assumes he's doing something good.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts

He's done some decent work.
However, he also takes credit and prides himself far too much for breaking the Aaronson deal, even "pinned" it to his Twitter account. Meanwhile Dyer broke the news days prior.

@CurseofCaricola

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
Dyer didnt break shit he said they were in negotiations and it was. Close

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts

Dyer didnt break shit he said they were in negotiations and it was. Close

If someone credible and who broke the majority of MetroStars/RBNY and a ton of MLS news for years says something is close and days later someone claims there is a deal "in principle", then the deal doesn't get done for another couple weeks, does the guy who actually broke the signing was official get the credit? Not sure on the rules.

@CurseofCaricola

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,343 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

He's also the second MLS writer, along with Doyle, to be dismissive of Yearwood which confuses me a bit. I think the kid shows some clear potential above and beyond the average MLS midfielder but has only struggled for minutes because Carnell is clearly going to heavily rotate the midfield no matter how well guys are playing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users